• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

the big bambino

International Captain
I still remember flashes of that glorious summer in England when Mohammad Amir made the ball swing. I remember being so happy to see something like that. Not sure how I feel about him returning, but if he is still as good (and honest to boot), I guess cricket would only have gained something. Plus, him with him in the side, it will be three left arm pacers - him, Junaid and Irfan - in the same side. Ever happened before?
They once had Wasim, Jaffer and a bloke with some missing fingers.

the big bambino

International Captain
True but it was close. Junaid will have a longer career than Jaffer and Hafeez and Aamir should. Akram, Jaffer and Hafeez versus Aamir, Irfan and Junaid would be a good contest.

smash84

The Tiger King
btw......IF Pakistan manage to win the second test and win the series 2-0, does it help to improve Pakistan's ranking? And does it bring down SA from 1 to 2?

salman85

International Debutant
i don't think the ranking will change.Pakistan will remain no.4 and South Africa will remain no.1

As far as fast bowlers go,the new ball pair has never been Pakistan's strength.I think the Pakistan bowling attack overall,is right up there with the best in the world because of the balance of a world class spinner (Ajmal), a superb fast bowler who gets ample movement late in the innings (Junaid), and a guy who gets very unsettling bounce (Irfan).The other teams miss some element in their bowling attack - for example, South Africa and Australia lack a world class spinner.England and Pakistan are probably the two teams in world cricket who possess a complete bowling attack.New Zealand have a very good new ball pair, but the overall potency of their bowling line declines the further you move forward into an innings IMO, which is one of the reasons why i don't think the overall quality of their attack belongs in the same category as Pakistan,Australia,England and South Africa.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
btw......IF Pakistan manage to win the second test and win the series 2-0, does it help to improve Pakistan's ranking? And does it bring down SA from 1 to 2?
Pak will be 4th postion if it's 1-0, 1-1 or 2-0. So we have already secured this (I think we have replaced Aus). RSA will still be 1 irrespective fo the result now.

smash84

The Tiger King
oh ok.....btw how come India are top 3? Over the last 2 years they have been whitewashed by Aus and Eng as well as losing to England at home

smash84

The Tiger King
yes they beat Aus at home (and WI and NZ) but their losses seem much more heavy than their victories

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
yes they beat Aus at home (and WI and NZ) but their losses seem much more heavy than their victories
Lost only to good teams (I'm assuming Aus were ranked pretty high), beat lower ranked teams... And didn't lose to Zimbabwe. Pretty easy to see why they're 3rd tbh

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
it's because India was no.1 and had accumulated alot of points before their whitewashes, so didn't end up in as bad a state as many would have thought. And yeah losing to higher ranked teams doesn't hurt you as much (England last yr). On the other hand, losing even a single match against a minnow costs you around 10 points straight away (in a 2 test series).

Basically 1 defeat against a minnow is worse than 4-0 against a top nation

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
oh ok.....btw how come India are top 3? Over the last 2 years they have been whitewashed by Aus and Eng as well as losing to England at home
And don't forget that the other contenders haven't been able to take advantage of India's poor run. Australia lost the Ashes and now Pakistan are merely compensating for 3-0 earlier in the yr.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Dale Steyn might not play due to an injury. I don't know if it's serious or ABCD was lying to make Pakistan feel easy and then suddenly unleashing Styen at the last moment.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Dale Steyn might not play due to an injury. I don't know if it's serious or ABCD was lying to make Pakistan feel easy and then suddenly unleashing Styen at the last moment.
Steyn is legitimately injured. I have a feeling he'll probably play anyway but either way I don't think he'll be at his best.

Time to show Pakistan how to play Kallisball, IMO.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Steyn is legitimately injured. I have a feeling he'll probably play anyway but either way I don't think he'll be at his best.

Time to show Pakistan how to play Kallisball, IMO.
What a way to protect his UAE blemish (according to possible Detractors and I am not one haha ftr) :p

Last edited: