• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan v South Africa in UAE

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
look NZ's batting lineup is far worse than that. The point about a weak side facing a strong side is that they need more than 1 day of advantage to win a test match. Yes, this was their day. They also need tomorrow and the next day to be theirs.

If you look at the recent NZ vs Lords test one could reasonably say that NZ won days 1, 2 and 3. They lost day 4 and lost the match. It doesn't mean they didn't win those earlier days. Just that they're not as important.

Other than that you're just talking semantics.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Would Pakistan had taken South Africa 8/245 at the close of play? I think yes so it is there day. If/when they fail tomorrow it will be South Africa's day.
Would Pakistan have rather taken South Africa 125 all out on day 1? Yes, so its not Pakistan's day.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
look NZ's batting lineup is far worse than that. The point about a weak side facing a strong side is that they need more than 1 day of advantage to win a test match. Yes, this was their day. They also need tomorrow and the next day to be theirs.

If you look at the recent NZ vs Lords test one could reasonably say that NZ won days 1, 2 and 3. They lost day 4 and lost the match. It doesn't mean they didn't win those earlier days. Just that they're not as important.

Other than that you're just talking semantics.
See there is a difference in that.. NZ dominated the first 3 days.. That doesn't usually happen with Pakistan..the only reason this looks like Pakistan's day is because they haven't batted yet.
Let me give you another scenario.

Suppose Pakistan batted first and got bowled out for 60.

South Africa then batted and the Pakistani bowlers bowled just as well and South Africa are now 245/8 with Amla unbeaten on a century.

Would you still say its Pakistan's day?

As for NZ's batting line up being weaker than Pakistan's not only do I disagree, but I would give half the team to get Kane Williamson in exchange.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
See there is a difference in that.. NZ dominated the first 3 days.. That doesn't usually happen with Pakistan..the only reason this looks like Pakistan's day is because they haven't batted yet.
That's the point. They haven't batted yet. Yes if they had batted and collapsed it would be SA's day. But they haven't.

As for NZ's batting line up being weaker than Pakistan's not only do I disagree, but I would give half the team to get Kane Williamson in exchange.
I would give the whole batting lineup (Williamson, Taylor, Rutherford, Fulton, McCullum, Anderson) for just Misbah and Younis, tbh.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
go to the international trade threads ****s :p

But Hendrix is right - the bowlers aren't responsible for the failures of the batsmen, so when they dominate a day of cricket they should be given credit for that rather than wait to have their performance put into perspective via Pakistan's horrible collapse the next day

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
go to the international trade threads ****s :p

But Hendrix is right - the bowlers aren't responsible for the failures of the batsmen, so when they dominate a day of cricket they should be given credit for that rather than wait to have their performance put into perspective via Pakistan's horrible collapse the next day
But who is not giving them credit? I am extremely happy to see Khan and Irfan bowl well and Babar pick up a few. And they deserve all the credit for having the number 1 team at 245/8..but I just think its misleading to conclude from the score that this is Pakistan's day.

Riggins

International Captain
You can't say they haven't had a good day, or it's not been their day, just based on what might, or will probably, happen at some point in the future.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
The bowlers have put them ahead in the game - even though we can be near certain their batsmen will drag it back they are still ahead in the game now

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
well done pakistan. sa will really have to fight to get into this match. for now its all pakistan.

pakistan would not want to lose more than three wickets this morning.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Would Pakistan have rather taken South Africa 125 all out on day 1? Yes, so its not Pakistan's day.
:laugh: This is one of the silliest things I've ever seen on this forum.

Lets say they did roll them for 125 all out. They'd rather have rolled them for 80 so it's still not their day, right?

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm quite unfamiliar with these Pakistani openers - although I've seen a bit of Manzoor, is Tuafeeq Umar still injured or something? I honestly thought he was quite good

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Disappointed to see Brudenell legend Hafeez out of the side. Can either of these new fellas bowl?
Nah. Azhar Ali is not the worst leggie though; only reason we haven't seen much of him throughout his Test career is the existence of Hafeez.