• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Standout Performance of 2003?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
This is different from the 'Standout Player of 2003' poll. I'm interested to know what others see as the best individual performance in a single game for tests and odi's in 2003. There have been alot of good performances so I won't bother with a poll.
From my limited viewing my picks would be:
Test Batting: Close one... Dravid's 233 & 72* vs Aus, Hayden's 380 vs Zim and Lara's 202 vs SA
Test Bowling: Ntini's 10/220 vs Eng (probably Murali vs Eng as well but didn't see any of it)

ODI Batting: Ponting's 140* vs Ind and Tendulkar's 97 vs Pak
ODI Bowling: Bond's 6/23 vs Aus and Bichel's 7/20 vs Eng

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Batting peformance
Stephen Fleming Tests 274 not out against sri lanka
Stephen Fleming ODI that innings at the world cup agains South Africa

iamdavid

International Debutant
Tendulkar's 98 against Pakistan in the world cup was brilliant , as was Steve Waugh's 102 at Sydney , Ponting's 140 in the WC final was superb while Lara's been brilliant all year , especially that double he got against Sri Lanka & Shivnarine Chanderpaul's hundred from 69 balls against Australia at Guyana.
Flintoff's performance in the WC game against India was superb all round as was Symonds knock in the opening game & Davison's 111 against the Windies.
Habibul Bashar's batting against Pakistan.
Graeme Smith against England

On the bowling side of things there have been far less standout performances , Ashish Nehra's spell against England in the world cup , Ntini's bowling at Lord's , Richard Johnson's debut (albeit in helpful conditions).
And of course Murali's 7-40odd against England.

best one day performance this year: Ricky Ponting's world cup final 140*
Best test performances this year: Ricky Pontings 257 today

Special mention : Haydens 380, even though done against poor opposition a good innings and one i was at the ground to witness

hourn

U19 Cricketer
Top Ten Test Performances of 2003:

1. Rahul Dravid 233 and 72* v Australia, Adelaide
2. Michael Vaughan 183 v Australia, Sydney
3. Ricky Ponting 257 v India, Melbourne
4. Agit Agarkar 6/41 v Australia, Adelaide
5. Stephen Fleming 274* v Sri Lanka, Kandy
6. Jermaine Lawson 7/78 v Australia, St Johns
7. Sean Pollock 6/78 v Pakistan, Faisalabad
8. Matt Hayden 380 v Zimbabwe, Perth
9. Mohammad Sami 5/44 v New Zealand, Hamilton
10. Brian Lara 202 v South Africa, Johannesburg

Tep Ten ODI performances of 2003:

1. Ricky Ponting 140* v India, Johannesburg
2. Sachin Tendulkar 98 v Pakistan, World Cup (can't be bothered to find venue :p)
3. Ashish Nehra 6/23 (10) v England, Durban
4. Andy Bichel 7/20 (10) v England, Port Elizabeth
5. John Davison 111 (76 balls) v West Indies, Centurion
6. Andrew Symonds 143* v Pakistan, Johannesburg
7. Mohammad Sami 5/10 (7.4) v New Zealand, Lahore
8. Stephen Fleming 134* v South Africa, Johannesburg
9. Chris Carins 84 (51 balls) v Pakistan, Lahore
=10. Colins Obuya 5/24 (10) v Sri Lanka, Nairobi
=10. Jason Gillespie 3/13 (10) v India, Centurion

Hard to do the ODI performances, as unlike tests you can rejog your memory of great innings by going through the top scoring and best bowling lists. Alot of the best performances in ODI's aren't 100s or 4fors.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pontingrulz said:
Where's Mcgrath's 7/14?
Not there :duh:

Aside from the fact it was 7-15, I hardly think the fact he dismissed AJ Burger, M Karg, D Keulder, B Murgatroyd, D Kotze, L Burger and B Kotze is a great achievment.

okay point taken. but what about Lee's hattrick? you cant say it isnt a great achievment cause Kenya beat Sri Lanka comfortably

anzac

International Debutant
Bond's bowling effort against the Aussies in the WC so far as top 10 bowling efforts go????

hourn

U19 Cricketer
anzac said:
Bond's bowling effort against the Aussies in the WC so far as top 10 bowling efforts go????
yes, remember that one now and twas quite good.

what did he get??

If it wasn't five-for or economically under 2 runs per over than that would explain why it wasn't on my list.

It's impossible to remember everything that happens in one day cricket over a year because there is so much of it, and the only way to remember it all is by looking up lists of top scores, best figures etc,.

and I said, although in tests, generally the best performances are centuries and five-fors, in ODI's that is not always the case, and as such don't make these lists of top scores or best figures, which means people tend to miss things when considering top ODI performances.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
hourn said:
yes, remember that one now and twas quite good.

what did he get??

If it wasn't five-for or economically under 2 runs per over than that would explain why it wasn't on my list.

and I said, although in tests, generally the best performances are centuries and five-fors, in ODI's that is not always the case, and as such don't make these lists of top scores or best figures, which means people tend to miss things when considering top ODI performances.

Bond's bowling v aus was a five-for and only just over 2 rpo: ended up with 6/23. Had aus at 7/84 at one stage, but Bevan and Bichel saved them.
It's true though that good bowling performances in ODI's aren't necessarily five-fors. One example that comes to mind is the performance of little-known Kenyan left-arm spinner Asif Karim vs Aus in the WC Super Six bowled 8.2 overs with 3 wickets for 7 runs, and at one stage had Aus 5/117 chasing 178.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Standout ODI performances:
Chaminda in WC2003, especially the hat-trick game (for some reason can't remember the details).
Ponting's 140* in the final; phenominal innings.
Bichel in WC2003; it was a truly outstanding over-performance from a run-of-the-mill state player, at just the right time. The 10-20-7 is obviously the standout, but the whole tournament before the final was excellent, plus the vital, brilliantly paced innings against England (yes, he scored even more v NZ, but it would have been 3 and no more but for the butter-fingers of whoever it was, can't remember).
Tests:
England in The Fifth Test of The Ashes. Won the toss, but several outstanding performances, and a role-reversal, with Australia crumbing before our very eyes. The glory moment was not Vaughan's 150, not Caddick's 10th of the match, not Stewart's 71st run, but Harmison hacking Lee over mid-wicket. The ultimate symbol of supremacy. Just imagine if this had happened in Brisbane.:lol:
The whole West Indian innings in the fourth-innings of The Fourth Test. Incredible effort.
Graeme Smith from his 9th run onwards at Lord's, and indeed the whole team. Again, the toss was vital, but this was a truly outstanding demolition until the lack of a third-slip with Flintoff on 12 allowed him to spoil it all.
Hayden's 380 simply has to get a mention. It mightn't have been a great attack, but I didn't see what apparently was a let-off in the 360s, so I'll have to assume it was chanceless. If so, a phenominal feat of concentration.
India's defeat of Australia in Adelaide.
This is the list for me. Please feel free to comment on any glaring omissions.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Vaas' hat-trick in the first three balls was against Bangladesh.

Canada fell for 36 to Sri Lanka when Vaas & Nissanka (where's he gone?) shared the fun.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
Nissanka (where's he gone?)
Fortunately the terrible pitches at Dambulla could only save his figures for so long.
For most of his ODI career he's been exposed as palpably substandard. He was lucky enough to be ITRPATRT against Canada, but really, you shoud see him bowl a typical spell. Almost as bad as Brendon Julian.