• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Indian Domestic Season 2013/14

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Just way too many batsmen scoring huge runs, I don't even know what to make of them anymore. Jadeja especially just took the piss with the triple hundreds. Will never be able to fully trust Ranji stats.
It generally evens more out over the course of a season and when you factor in divisions.

Even more so over the course of 2 seasons.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It generally evens more out over the course of a season and when you factor in divisions.

Even more so over the course of 2 seasons.
Agreed. You just gotta apply high standards (you take seriously someone who averages 60+) over 2 seasons or more.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Watching some of UP v. Baroda on replay right now. The Motibaug Cricket Ground and the surroundings look so lush and green. Is this India? Big ups to Baroda

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Watching some of UP v. Baroda on replay right now. The Motibaug Cricket Ground and the surroundings look so lush and green. Is this India? Big ups to Baroda
Nice to hear that. My memories of Baroda are that it was basically Ahmedebad lite.

Shri

Mr. Glass
The ridiculously high scoring games have begun to decrease in the domestic scene this year. Are the pitches going back to being turners instead of roads again?

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Rishi Dewan seems to be continuing his great form, another 5fer from him. In another news Sehwag failed yet again

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
All but two games have had bowlers having a good time. It's an easy guess which two grounds they are- Pune and Nagpur. Maharashtra's Harshad Khadiwale scores his third century this season, in his third game, while Kedar Jadhav is going strong, with his first century. Elsewhere, Faiz Fazal is scoring plenty .

Rishi Dhawan is an interesting case. A bowler for a Group C team is far and away the leading wicket-taker this season, in the fourth round. His team, Himachal, is also the best-performing team, with the most wins and highest quotient. Hopefully he can finish the whole season with HP going into the semis, which was once unlikely given how weak they were as a team, and as individuals.

J&K, on the other hand, are still weak. Surely now Rassool should look at some top/middle tier team to make his bid for an India berth more serious? Off to Rajasthan or MP, or even Delhi, surely?

Abu Nechim scalps three for Assam. This bloke has decent pace. So does Pawan Suyal, and also Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav. Their teams will be worth a watch, and hopefully they'll get plenty of wickets- already Varun has eight wickets at a healthy strike rate, and Nechim, ten. Three of them also play in the top tier of the Ranji Trophy.

The slower Basanth Mohanty and Pankaj Singh, with already impressive bowling records, continue to chip away. Pankaj is a much-discussed bowler at most forums, but what do you make of Basanth's impressive record over time? He's largely responsible for taking Odisha to the top tier.

Batting? *yawn*

Last edited:

Daemon

I saw a presser the other day where Kohli said Ishant shouldn't have been discarded and he bowled well for us overseas in england, wi and australia. Hope Dhoni doesn't feel the same way.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Delhi wins the match against Haryana with Ishant picking 9 wickets in the match. In other news J & K winning against Andhra in a nail biting match.

Daemon

I wish they would stream matches more often. Hate looking at the scores at the end of the days play and judging players by them. The short writeups on cricinfo are also pretty useless, you could write all of it just by reading the scorecard.

Wisden India is great in this regard, they always have interesting stuff to read.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
All the leading run-scorers are from teams playing out draws, and three of the top five are from Group C teams- one being Maharashtra, who play out draws, and the other, the much-whipped Tripura. Only Kerala's Sanju Samson is playing for a team that doesn't keep drawing blanks, and he's at seven. Samson has a fan club on Cricinfo, who desperately want him to be playing for India before 'it's too late'. Comical, this. Ditto Baba Aparajith. On the other hand, Jaggi, Khadiwale and Jadhav have played a lot longer, but don't seem to have these funny fan clubs supporting them.

The leading wicket-takers, no doubt, are from teams that have won and lost. Rishi Dhawan is leading with 29 wickets- the next best has 18. He's also been scoring plenty for that team. However, when you already have Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Ashwin, and you're making an all-round superstar out of Jadeja, this bloke doesn't fit in, when he has played just 30 FC games. He's also struggling in limited-overs cricket (while Bucky, Bipul Sharma and old hands Bhatia/Shukla don't), so he's clearly a little raw, and needs to fine-tune his game in lower leagues. Already Mohit Sharma's struggling when the pitch is slow, the outfield is wet, and his pace isn't enough. Harbhajan has 18 wickets too. But that's too late now, sadly. Not too late for Odisha's Basanth Mohanty, who's not just chipping away, but running through batting sides- or should I say, weaving through. But someone bowling at 120K as an international bowler? Needs some time in the labs first, to get over 135K like Shami.

Himachal were on top in this group, but the loss against Hyderabad has dented them a fair bit. They struggle to take wickets in the second innings, and it's a recurring problem. The best performing team, ironically, is Railways, who often field plenty of aged players, and don't have the world-class facilities that city/state teams often have. Gujarat's win against Punjab takes them to the top of the table, but Punjab are not out yet. Delhi, though, are hanging by a thread. Jharkhand and Baroda may get relegated to the bottom tier. The Pathans' poor fitness is hurting Baroda, while Jharkhand, lacking a decent all-rounder and strong batting, have lost two of their four games. That's sad, given that they've got the fastest set of bowlers in this bunch.

The televised Ranji game had Umesh Yadav in action. He did well largely, but for a few deliveries on the pads. Bowled fast, but didn't get enough wickets- although all bowled/leg-before. Not a good sign in the lead-up to the South Africa tour. Shrikant Wagh, though, has been chipping away a few, but on a flat deck, his medium pace posed no threat. This attack did not perform, clearly. Nor did Jharkhand, although they had a very weak batting unit backing them up. Sehwag's India career is more or less over, but I'm not sure how relevant he'll be in the Delhi middle-order, getting out for low scores. At least Gambhir and Ishant are doing their bit in taking Delhi ahead. Pragyan Ojha has been patchy, while Ashok Dinda has had a good season so far.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Himachal have bounced back from the defeat against Hyderabad to crush Assam in the first innings - 81 all out. Rishi Dhawan takes five again. Will he take ten in this game? He's leading the bowling chart by a fair distance.

Mumbai/Vidarbha is the most interesting match, with Zaheer and Umesh facing each other's teams. Even though I'm very much a Mumbai supporter, I'd like to see Vidarbha run through the Mumbai side twice- especially with Umesh getting plenty. The Indian Test side needs Umesh in top form to win consistently. Although Shrikant Wagh has had some good performances here, and is high up in the wickets tally, and also standing very tall, I'm not sure he's very useful in the longer form of the game- he's good for ODs, though.

But STAR Sports is covering another game. I'll check what's happening on TV and get back.

Daemon

Was watching the Haryana game. Sandeep Sharma is basically Praveen Kumar III. Siddarth Kaul isn't great. That is all.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
How was VRV Singh ?

Sid Kaul was impressive 2 times i saw him last season.

Been having a poor time of it this time around.

Dissapointing.

Daemon

How was VRV Singh ?

Sid Kaul was impressive 2 times i saw him last season.

Been having a poor time of it this time around.

Dissapointing.
VRV was bowling pretty well, but he's way too slow for international cricket.