• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Indian Domestic Season 2013/14

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Completely agree with you. But bowlers shouldn't be picked just on the basis of their pace. Whether the selectors pick genuine fast bowlers or swing bowlers, they should be ready for international cricket. Both Yadav and Aaron were picked a bit too early. Aaron has lacked control after he was injured, he needs a bit of time. Yadav looks all right for tests, but for the shorter formats, there are much better options. And its a very wrong belief that on overseas tours, only genuine pace bowlers can trouble the batsmen. In fact the English, South African and Australian batsmen won't find it too difficult to deal with quick bowlers unless they are up to the mark. They face some good pace bowlers even at the domestic level in difficult conditions, so don't think they can be beaten with only raw pace. Like someone had said before, Zaheer has been quite successful for India, not the quickest Indian bowler.

And our swing bowlers are ignored at times, Praveen Kumar's performance is a proof that even a medium pace swing bowler can trouble the batsmen if he's good enough. There were a few eyebrows raised when he was picked, but he did exceptionally well in whatever chances he got. He did well even on the WI tracks which don't assist pace bowlers.
The WI tracks were seaming all over the place. Ishant destroyed their batting on that tour, which quite frankly says a lot.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but IIRC Praveen was your best bowler in England, or do I have that wildly wrong?

In any case I think it'd be a backward step to pick him now when Bhuvneshwar should get the call, but they're still picking Ishant and Zak and I think he'd be a better choice than either of those two right now.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Rohit has scored runs overseas? :huh:

But fair enough. I do see where you're coming from and agree with most of it. Thing is, while I do agree Ojha is probably a slightly better prospect that Ashwin overseas I don't get why you're so confident hell do much better than Ashwin. Ashwin, so far has toured the toughest country of all for a finger spinner , in Australia and got one match in South Africa after which he was dropped from the second one, which offered turn. He really just has not had enough chances to outright say there's no way he'll do well overseas. I say give Ashwin a fair go in England at least for a couple of matches and if he does FA, bring in Ojha.
Rohit's returns have been more meagre than the rest in that group, but he's still scored enough runs that most other sides in the world would retain him. But yeah, he'd be the first dropped in my book, potentially to fit Ashwin in at 6.

Yeah fair enough re: Ashwin needing more chances. I just think Ojha wasn't given a chance at all, despite being the best spinner against England and NZ in India. I absolutely hated how he was dropped for Jadeja against Australia.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
The WI tracks were seaming all over the place. Ishant destroyed their batting on that tour, which quite frankly says a lot.
All three tests had decent batting wickets, 2 out of the 3 were drawn.

And even in India's tour of England in 2011, Praveen Kumar was our best bowler, rest all had failed miserably.

M not saying that Praveen Kumar should be picked, he has had a lot of fitness issues recently and should play domestic cricket for now. My point is that we can't just ignore our swing bowlers and give chances to bowlers only on the base of their speed. Genuine swing bowlers can definitely be effective in tests.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This bloke may just end up biting off more than he can chew. Most of the 'India A' team he's facing have often missed out because of tight competition for places in the batting lineup, or a few bowlers in top form. Plenty of these players, who are trying hard for places in the national side and believe they're worth it, will have a point to prove. It will be a good series for Uthappa, Pujara, Tiwary and Jadhav, not so much the bowlers, who may struggle to get decent figures on surfaces that don't seam or turn a lot.

Ace4

Cricket Spectator
The guys need to groomed well. At present very few stand up to the challenge of International Cricket.

ajdude

International Coach
taskin ahmed what a debut with the red ink. he'll remember that innings for a long long time