Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: **Official** Indian Domestic Season 2013/14

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I saw a presser the other day where Kohli said Ishant shouldn't have been discarded and he bowled well for us overseas in england, wi and australia. Hope Dhoni doesn't feel the same way.

Gambhir completes his century

Delhi wins the match against Haryana with Ishant picking 9 wickets in the match. In other news J & K winning against Andhra in a nail biting match.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    I wish they would stream matches more often. Hate looking at the scores at the end of the days play and judging players by them. The short writeups on cricinfo are also pretty useless, you could write all of it just by reading the scorecard.

Wisden India is great in this regard, they always have interesting stuff to read.

International Vice-Captain
    Any IPL news?

All the leading run-scorers are from teams playing out draws, and three of the top five are from Group C teams- one being Maharashtra, who play out draws, and the other, the much-whipped Tripura. Only Kerala's Sanju Samson is playing for a team that doesn't keep drawing blanks, and he's at seven. Samson has a fan club on Cricinfo, who desperately want him to be playing for India before 'it's too late'. Comical, this. Ditto Baba Aparajith. On the other hand, Jaggi, Khadiwale and Jadhav have played a lot longer, but don't seem to have these funny fan clubs supporting them.

The leading wicket-takers, no doubt, are from teams that have won and lost. Rishi Dhawan is leading with 29 wickets- the next best has 18. He's also been scoring plenty for that team. However, when you already have Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Ashwin, and you're making an all-round superstar out of Jadeja, this bloke doesn't fit in, when he has played just 30 FC games. He's also struggling in limited-overs cricket (while Bucky, Bipul Sharma and old hands Bhatia/Shukla don't), so he's clearly a little raw, and needs to fine-tune his game in lower leagues. Already Mohit Sharma's struggling when the pitch is slow, the outfield is wet, and his pace isn't enough. Harbhajan has 18 wickets too. But that's too late now, sadly. Not too late for Odisha's Basanth Mohanty, who's not just chipping away, but running through batting sides- or should I say, weaving through. But someone bowling at 120K as an international bowler? Needs some time in the labs first, to get over 135K like Shami.

Himachal were on top in this group, but the loss against Hyderabad has dented them a fair bit. They struggle to take wickets in the second innings, and it's a recurring problem. The best performing team, ironically, is Railways, who often field plenty of aged players, and don't have the world-class facilities that city/state teams often have. Gujarat's win against Punjab takes them to the top of the table, but Punjab are not out yet. Delhi, though, are hanging by a thread. Jharkhand and Baroda may get relegated to the bottom tier. The Pathans' poor fitness is hurting Baroda, while Jharkhand, lacking a decent all-rounder and strong batting, have lost two of their four games. That's sad, given that they've got the fastest set of bowlers in this bunch.

The televised Ranji game had Umesh Yadav in action. He did well largely, but for a few deliveries on the pads. Bowled fast, but didn't get enough wickets- although all bowled/leg-before. Not a good sign in the lead-up to the South Africa tour. Shrikant Wagh, though, has been chipping away a few, but on a flat deck, his medium pace posed no threat. This attack did not perform, clearly. Nor did Jharkhand, although they had a very weak batting unit backing them up. Sehwag's India career is more or less over, but I'm not sure how relevant he'll be in the Delhi middle-order, getting out for low scores. At least Gambhir and Ishant are doing their bit in taking Delhi ahead. Pragyan Ojha has been patchy, while Ashok Dinda has had a good season so far.
    "Talent is nothing without opportunity"
    "You're not remembered for aiming at the target, but hitting it"

Twenty20 used to be boring.

Sponsored...by...nothing!!!

Himachal have bounced back from the defeat against Hyderabad to crush Assam in the first innings - 81 all out. Rishi Dhawan takes five again. Will he take ten in this game? He's leading the bowling chart by a fair distance.

Mumbai/Vidarbha is the most interesting match, with Zaheer and Umesh facing each other's teams. Even though I'm very much a Mumbai supporter, I'd like to see Vidarbha run through the Mumbai side twice- especially with Umesh getting plenty. The Indian Test side needs Umesh in top form to win consistently. Although Shrikant Wagh has had some good performances here, and is high up in the wickets tally, and also standing very tall, I'm not sure he's very useful in the longer form of the game- he's good for ODs, though.

But STAR Sports is covering another game. I'll check what's happening on TV and get back.
    CricAddict likes this.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Was watching the Haryana game. Sandeep Sharma is basically Praveen Kumar III. Siddarth Kaul isn't great. That is all.

Simon Champion!
    How was VRV Singh ?

Sid Kaul was impressive 2 times i saw him last season.

Been having a poor time of it this time around.

Dissapointing.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    How was VRV Singh ?

Sid Kaul was impressive 2 times i saw him last season.

Been having a poor time of it this time around.

Dissapointing.
    VRV was bowling pretty well, but he's way too slow for international cricket.

Simon Champion!
    Rishi Dhawan is having a really really good this season this time with both bat and ball.

Wonder how far he is from a national call up ?

Should be in A squads regularly if he has improved his bowling.

Yes, the only player in India who has the potential to be either the pace bowling allrounder that Dhoni is looking for, or the next Irfan Pathan..

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!

I hate to be one of those ****s who always look at the speed gun first, but really..

Simon Champion!
    That is from last year though. Bowls low 130's these days from what i've read.

Was pretty decent in the IPL IIRC. Decent batting technique too.

Yeah, I think what'll attract the selectors to him is that he could play the Bhuvi role in theory and then add much more with the bat. Swing the new ball, come on and bowl some tight stuff later on if needed and then make up for the fact that he's such a limited role-specific bowling by averaging 30s with the bat. He'd be an "at home only" prospect for that reason, where the spinners would be bowling lots of overs and Dhoni would be at six, but I don't think only bowling ~130 would hold him back from that if he moved the new ball consistently and had good control.

I haven't seen enough of him to really comment on whether he is good enough to do that (is he actually anywhere near as good as Bhuvi with the ball, pace similarities aside? would he really average 30+ with the bat? etc) but I think that's what he/the selectors/CricAddict would be looking towards.
    CricAddict likes this.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information