• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will KP retire after the ashes?

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Part of me (more than part of me in fact) thinks he'll retire, should England win down under. Especuially if he plays well - say a couple of centuries and dragging his average up to (almost) 50.

It wouldn't surprise me if he'd consider 104 tests, 25 centuries, and say 8300 runs at 49 to be enough of a personal legacy for his career.

I think he recognises that although he hasn't lost it, per se, his great innings have become more of nice surprise than the fulfilling of expectation. Although I was delighted with his quickfire 60 in the last match; I just can't help but feel his awareness that he has passed the apex; and his ego will tell him to hang his pads up sooner than later.

What say?

Last edited:

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
I'm not too sure about that. You could have a point about the WC actually - I neglected to work that into the equation - but something tells me this Ashes is his final act.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
KP has shown indifference to One Day cricket in the past. I'm not sure whether this attitude will be reflected with regards to the WC though.

Can anyone see him quitting Tests and hanging on for the WC?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Futile exercise trying to predict what someone as unpredictable as KP is going to do next.....who the **** would know what his test ambitions are, I suspect they probably change weekly.

Not sure about him having passed the "apex" was only 10 months ago he played arguably his greatest innings. Last year may not have been hs best but I don't think he is done by a long shot.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Pulling your leg pal :D

But, I hope you're right, and he does have plently left in the tank. I just worry that those eye-sight shots - the front-foot flick through the onside for instance - don't desert him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He will want to beat Cook to 10000 test runs just to have his name as the first one to do it for England if he can. Think he will retire from ODI's after next world cup and tests after 2015 ashes if not close to 10000 runs.

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
He will want to beat Cook to 10000 test runs just to have his name as the first one to do it for England if he can. Think he will retire from ODI's after next world cup and tests after 2015 ashes if not close to 10000 runs.
I don't think he will at all. Cook is 6 years younger. I don't think KP will indulge himself in a peeing contest with a guy who may have 8 years left in him

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think he will at all. Cook is 6 years younger. I don't think KP will indulge himself in a peeing contest with a guy who may have 8 years left in him
Out of the 2 my money would be on KP to get there first which wouldn't be a bad career ambition.........to be the first English cricketer to score 10,000 test runs. Even if Cooky get's there a few months later.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Plenty of time for him to do that after he's made the 10K if that's his want.
Seeing as he's said on more than one occasion that one of his ambitions is to get to 10k runs then I'm pretty sure he'll keep going.

May well see some sort of behind the scenes agreement with the ECB whereby he doesn't retire from ODIs but doesn't play all the series (unless they've changed the rules regarding ODI/T20I availability) to enable that.