Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Bagapath's Greatest XI

Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    When Richard Hadlee starts the first over with Adam Gilchrist behind the stumps, this will be the field setting.

Off Side:

Viv Richards - First Slip
    Brian Lara - Second Slip
    Shane Warne - Third Slip
    Joel Garner - Gully
    Sunil Gavaskar - Cover Point
    Sachin Tendulkar - Mid Off

On Side:

Malcolm Marshall - Square leg
    Gordon Greenidge - Short leg
    Allan Border - Mid Wicket
    Awesome team Baggy! One suggestion though, no need for a mid off with that terrific bowling unit, bring in a fourth slip!

International Debutant harsh.ag's Avatar
    Get rid of the gully, and put him in the fifth slip position!
    If you were that old, and that kind, and the very last of your kind, you couldn't just stand back and watch children cry.

one of the few things with AB as the skipper is to underattack
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Al Hasan 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Harris 10. Herath 11. Steyn

I would have a crack at this but I honestly have nothing to compare to the cow anecdote. Absolute gold.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Would love to know what Goughy's XI would be.

When Richard Hadlee starts the first over with Adam Gilchrist behind the stumps, this will be the field setting.

Off Side:

Brian Lara - Second Slip
    Shane Warne - Third Slip
    Joel Garner - Gully

On Side:

Great, would flip Viv and BCL though, as Lara always fielded in 1st and Richards was at his best at 2nd when Lloyd was at first.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Awesome team Baggy! One suggestion though, no need for a mid off with that terrific bowling unit, bring in a fourth slip!
    Sunny was a good slip fielder. Can easily shuffle around the off side field to open up a gap between gully and cover to temp the batsman for a drive. Hadlee, Marshall and Garner are good enough to bowl to four slips and a gully I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I would have a crack at this but I honestly have nothing to compare to the cow anecdote. Absolute gold.
    Hahaha

Off Side:

Brian Lara - Second Slip
    Shane Warne - Third Slip
    Joel Garner - Gully

On Side:

Deep backward square instead of a square leg. Presumably you're starting with a short leg for the odd bumper thrown down, so you ought to have a guy out there for the hook

Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Marshall's a sure for. But I think he will select one between Steve Waugh and Jacques Kallis rather than Allan Border. I think Kallis would be perfect here. Good fifth bowler. As good a bat as Waugh and Border. Hope he doesn't put Botham because as he claims only the post-85 era is involved and Botham was average there. But, then so was Viv (well not average, but not the god he is claimed to be). So I don't know.
    I am such a jobless guy that I have even thought through the bowling attack's workload. I have imagined how these four will divide ther spells and complete 80 overs before new ball gets taken in the last session for the opening bowlers to hurl down 5 overs each. After very elaborately breaking down their day's work it comes to this finally.

Hadlee 20 overs
    Marshall 19 overs
    Garner 22 overs
    Warne 29 overs

Since this looks practical I don't think I will ever resort to using a fifth bowler.

Now that I have shared this with you, I don't know what I will think of in the shower.

Since this looks practical I don't think I will ever resort to using a fifth bowler.

Now that I have shared this with you, I don't know what I will think of in the shower.
    I think that betrays just how off the cuff Test captaincy has to be sometimes. When Viv had an attack of Marshall, Garner, Holding and Walsh (and not a **** was given about the over rate), he'd still bring himself on from time to time. I think it's fair enough to plan to use just the four bowlers but you have to be at least a little prepared to deviate.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Fair enough. I get your point. Border and Richards and Tendulkar can certainly manage 15 harmless overs between them even if one of the main bowlers breaks down. Honestly, since these are players I want to watch I can't bring in Kallis though he can replace any of the middle order bats in terms of effectiveness.
    Last edited by bagapath; 15-09-2013 at 10:10 PM.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    I think the biggest issue would be you probably wouldn't want Warne bowling ~30 on a day 1 or non really spinning track, might need 5-10 overs help from someone somewhere.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Garner was always good at bowling long economic spells.

Great team and write up Bagapath. Really enjoyed it.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    I think the biggest issue would be you probably wouldn't want Warne bowling ~30 on a day 1 or non really spinning track, might need 5-10 overs help from someone somewhere.
    Yes, if he bowls 29 overs on day 1 but the new ball is taken that means he's bowling unchanged from about 45 minutes into the day.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    My dad always said about being captain that if you bowl half the overs, you'll take half the wickets.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread Information