• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bagapath's Greatest XI

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Which bloke is bringing the watermelon for arvo tea each week and which one is bringing the curried egg sandwiches?

watson

Banned
It is an assumption that an ATG attack will be bowling against an ATG batting line-up that may include Bradman (or someone equivalent) during any hypothetical Test series. Therefore, as a matter of principle ATG attacks should have as much depth and variety as possible, and I more or less agree with that principle.

The counter argument against including a bona fide batting allrounder is that a pure batsman will score more runs than a down-graded bowling attack will concede to the opposition. Hence, if bagapath thinks that trading a better bowling attack for a better batting line-up is the superior option, and that the net balance is in his teams favour, then an extra pure batsman is the way to go.

bagapath

International Captain
I thought for a moment, it could be Kapil Dev too.Baga, how come the guy who's avatar you wear didn't find a place in your team?
dude. i had hinted that my favorite cricketer is "absolutely incorruptible". how could you connect kapil dev with that term?

my feelings towards ian botham are kinda complicated. how do I explain myself here? I look at him like a concubine; even if you are doing something else, you will always think of him at the back of your mind. what is he going to do today? will he do this, will he do that???? in the most predictable humdrum proceedings, you can expect him to provide you with the most unexpected uplifting breaks possible. but you can't rely on him to deliver when you want. he had his own axe to grind which sometimes clashed with your requirements. and you don't know for sure if he is thinking of only you when he is with you. occasionally he can be great fun. and for that he can be the one to walk away with temporary rewards. but leave him out of your final will because he won't be a good homemaker. you need allan border to rear your children, teach them good manners, admonish them if necessary, and bring them up properly.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is an assumption that an ATG attack will be bowling against an ATG batting line-up that may include Bradman (or someone equivalent) during any hypothetical Test series. Therefore, as a matter of principle ATG attacks should have as much depth and variety as possible, and I more or less agree with that principle.

The counter argument against including a bona fide batting allrounder is that a pure batsman will score more runs than a down-graded bowling attack will concede to the opposition. Hence, if bagapath thinks that trading a better bowling attack for a better batting line-up is the superior option, and that the net balance is in his teams favour, then an extra pure batsman is the way to go.
There's also the fact that he's not actually trying to pick the best team possible. These are personal teams openly mixed with favourites and biases. I think you've missed the point somewhat.

smash84

The Tiger King
dude. i had hinted that my favorite cricketer is "absolutely incorruptible". how could you connect kapil dev with that term?

my feelings towards ian botham are kinda complicated. how do I explain myself here? I look at him like a concubine; even if you are doing something else, you will always think of him at the back of your mind. what is he going to do today? will he do this, will he do that???? in the most predictable humdrum proceedings, you can expect him to provide you with the most unexpected uplifting breaks possible. but you can't rely on him to deliver when you want. he had his own axe to grind which sometimes clashed with your requirements. and you don't know for sure if he is thinking of only you when he is with you. occasionally he can be great fun. and for that he can be the one to walk away with temporary rewards. but leave him out of your final will because he won't be a good homemaker. you need allan border to rear your children, teach them good manners, admonish them if necessary, and bring them up properly.
:lol:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
an alternative team would have looked like this

Hayden
Sehwag
Ponting
Miandad
S.Waugh
Imran (C)
Botham
Dujon (wk)
Ambrose
Murali
McGrath

And it doesn't look perfect I agree

If I were to select an All Time XI then that team would have probably looked like this...

Hobbs
Hutton
Bradman (C)
Lara
Richards
Sobers
Gilchrist (WK)
Marshall
Warne
Lillee
Barnes
Like your ATG XI. Drifting towards that middle order as well and lots of merit in that bowling attack.

watson

Banned
Like your ATG XI. Drifting towards that middle order as well and lots of merit in that bowling attack.
I agree that having Imran at No.8 adds depth to the batting while not obviously not compromising the bowling. Also, Clive Lloyd proved that attacking with 3 or 4 fast bowlers consistently pulverises batting orders.

However, deep down I like bagapath's ATG attack the best due to its variety. After all, Barnes used the new ball with great success as suggested by the fact that his best stats were during the first innings of a Test match;

First Innings: Ave = 12 SR = 32
Second Innings: Ave = 17 SR = 46
Third Innings: Ave = 19 SR = 47
Fourth Innings: Ave = 23 SR = 53

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerInnings.asp?PlayerID=0140

Dennis Lillee
Malcolm Marshall
SF Barnes
Shane Warne
(Garry Sobers)

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be a great attack, though Barnes shouldn't get the new ball over Marshall or Lillee.