Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 149
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Bagapath's Greatest XI

  1. #16
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,775
    that pic of paddles is the worst I have seen
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  2. #17
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Tell me more about this cow, baggy.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  3. #18
    International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    w.i
    Posts
    4,225
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Tell me more about this cow, baggy.
    Was wondering about that myself.

    Looking forward to your list Bagapath, already surprised at the omission of either Ambrose, McGrath or Marshall though understand the reason behind Garners' inclusion.

    Keep them coming.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2


    W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

    S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

    Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

  4. #19
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    21,775
    I think Marshall will take his place along with Shane Warne


  5. #20
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,183
    McGrath is similar to Hadlee, and Ambrose to Garner. So I guess Marshall will be the natural choice for 3rd pacer. It's actually quite an unusual choice to pick Garner and overlook McGrath and Ambrose. But bagapath explains it well.

  6. #21
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    ksfls;fsl;lsFJg/s
    Posts
    28,558
    It's a favourite eleven ffs, not the best eleven he can think of.
    marc71178 and kingkallis like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  7. #22
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,255
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    McGrath is similar to Hadlee, and Ambrose to Garner. So I guess Marshall will be the natural choice for 3rd pacer. It's actually quite an unusual choice to pick Garner and overlook McGrath and Ambrose. But bagapath explains it well.
    Not really. Burgey's another one who speaks very highly of Garner IIRC.

  8. #23
    International Captain ankitj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Hyderabad India
    Posts
    6,183
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    It's a favourite eleven ffs, not the best eleven he can think of.
    I know mate. I'm not saying he has made any wrong choice there.

  9. #24
    State Vice-Captain schearzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Isla de Muerta
    Posts
    1,370
    Love the big bird call. He was a great bowler and I'm happy to see you've chosen him. Should be a good side coming IMO
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Warner 3.Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Sarfraz 7. De Kock+ 8. Neesham 9. Johnson 10. Herath 11. Steyn

  10. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    just this side of cool
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Love the big bird call. He was a great bowler and I'm happy to see you've chosen him. Should be a good side coming IMO
    I had the good fortune to meet Joel Garner in a pub years ago and he was gracious enough to have a chat with me for probably 15 minutes. Ripping bloke.

  11. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    just this side of cool
    Posts
    958
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    I am going for a 4-man strong bowling attack with one spinner. So my attack has to be clearly defined unlike a 5-man attack that can have a bit more flexibility. I canít simply select 4 of the best bowlers from the era and congratulate myself. I need to have a plan....
    Quote Originally Posted by harsh.skm View Post
    Ah! I just remembered it was Botham who once said that Garner would be the first fast bowler in his team. Wonder if you were influenced by that gentleman....
    Will Ian Botham be captain??

  12. #27
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Tell me more about this cow, baggy.
    well... her name was lakshmi (luck-sh-me) ... she was a white beast and had some jersey blood in her.... our annual trips to the rural veterinary hospital across the river to get a local bull to mate with her pretty much shaped my take on love, sex, family and, in general, life in solar system... in short, we had to encourage the bull to be nice to her and then cajole her to comply with him and then ... don't ask me more.... i remember her delivering five male calves in nine years before deciding to retire from public life... till then she gave us 3 litres of milk in the morning and 2 in the evening... we would let the calf drink the rest...

    lakshmi was tied up in our backyard by the well, not too far from the bathroom which was in a separate block in the garden cut off from the house... and in the village, if you are a kid and if you want to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you will see the ghosts of all your ancestors blocking your way from the house to the loo... sometimes, when i had to had to go... i would stare into the darkness extending from our doorstep to the loo, take a deep breath and run straight to the bathroom and slam the door shut in flat three seconds... with lakshmi giving you silent company from 20 meters away, and reassuring you with her heavy breathing and shuffling of legs, i would somehow manage to pee quickly and rush to the water tank for a quick wash and run right back into the house... i am eternally thankful to her for just being there during those tense moments...

    the milkman who thought his dad looked like Benaud was, like me and most South Indians, a dark skinned guy. his dad's skin tone was closer to clive lloyd's than richie's. and the old man was bucktoothed and bald. i don't know why his son thought he looked like an australian leg spinner.

  13. #28
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,261
    Edit: beaten

  14. #29
    International Captain bagapath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    India
    Posts
    5,112
    My fourth selection is my No. 4 in the batting order Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar.



    I believe the no.4 position should belong to the most technically sound batsman in the team. Well, the openers have to face the new ball and deal with the swing and bounce. And no.3 is considered, and rightly so, to be the most difficult position to bat in for he walks in when the bowler has just seen blood. But No.4 has its own significance. For my money, I would say the batsman who walks in after the fall of the second wicket will not just have to consolidate (like a no.3 is expected to do most of the time) but dictate terms through quick and bulk scoring, for it is his contribution that broadly defines the total ultimately. He will have to be adept at playing spin, for sure. Because it is around the same time of his arrival, the opposition's tweaker would be at his most menacing. We need a player who can step out, nullify spin and hit over the top or go back in the crease and defend with soft hands dropping the ball away from close in fielders. We need someone who can nudge singles and twos regularly and at the same time find gaps for boundaries every three overs. If the second new ball gets taken while he is still at the crease, he should be able to survive that with three slips waiting for him to make a mistake. Javed Miandad is the one I would have gone for if this team were chosen before 1997. But luckily for India, and for world cricket, Sachin Tendulkar has excelled in this position and made it his own.

    As my idol Laxman Sivaramakrishnan would scream "Look at this!"


    Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50 6s Ct
    198 327 33 15837 248* 53.86 51 67 69 115


    We all know his stats. We all know his great knocks; and his famous battles. For me, his consistency around the globe (40+ average in all test playing nations) and against all opposition (42+ average against everyone) for 22 years clinch the deal. He scores against everyone, everywhere, and he scores fast. I can take him to Australia, England, South Africa, Sri Lanka... anywhere... and expect him to succeed in all conditions. I don't think that can be said about anyone else except Bradman. The God of Indian Cricket may not be my most favorite cricketer in the team, there are seven more above him, but he certainly is a prize catch.
    smalishah84 and L Trumper like this.

  15. #30
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    well... her name was lakshmi (luck-sh-me) ... she was a white beast and had some jersey blood in her.... our annual trips to the rural veterinary hospital across the river to get a local bull to mate with her pretty much shaped my take on love, sex, family and, in general, life in solar system... in short, we had to encourage the bull to be nice to her and then cajole her to comply with him and then ... don't ask me more.... i remember her delivering five male calves in nine years before deciding to retire from public life... till then she gave us 3 litres of milk in the morning and 2 in the evening... we would let the calf drink the rest...

    lakshmi was tied up in our backyard by the well, not too far from the bathroom which was in a separate block in the garden cut off from the house... and in the village, if you are a kid and if you want to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, you will see the ghosts of all your ancestors blocking your way from the house to the loo... sometimes, when i had to had to go... i would stare into the darkness extending from our doorstep to the loo, take a deep breath and run straight to the bathroom and slam the door shut in flat three seconds... with lakshmi giving you silent company from 20 meters away, and reassuring you with her heavy breathing and shuffling of legs, i would somehow manage to pee quickly and rush to the water tank for a quick wash and run right back into the house... i am eternally thankful to her for just being there during those tense moments...

    the milkman who thought his dad looked like Benaud was, like me and most South Indians, a dark skinned guy. his dad's skin tone was closer to clive lloyd's than richie's. and the old man was bucktoothed and bald. i don't know why his son thought he looked like an australian leg spinner.


    Five stars.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 'Not' the greatest XI.
    By karan316 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 22-11-2011, 01:42 PM
  2. Replies: 51
    Last Post: 28-10-2011, 12:59 PM
  3. Greatest XI: (one from each era)
    By bunny in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 13-02-2008, 03:43 AM
  4. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 07:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •