Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Bagapath's Greatest XI

International Vice-Captain bagapath's Avatar
    in their long and illustrious careers, warne averaged 25 overs per innings, Hadlee - 24. Garner - 20 and Marshall - 19. That nicely adds up to 88 overs. considering their SR, that should be good enough to bowl the opposition out (for about 250 runs). If they need a breather, there are those useful part timers already mentioned above. no great team needed five full fledged bowlers to win consistently. four great bowlers are difficult to come together at the same time for selection. But when they rarely do, they are more than enough to do the job.
    Last edited by bagapath; 16-09-2013 at 06:38 AM.
    Monk likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schearzie View Post
    Top side so far, when you've completed your list, I'm just curious whether there are any alternates who were close to, but just missed out on making the XI
    an alternative team would have looked like this

Hayden
    Sehwag
    Ponting
    Miandad
    S.Waugh
    Imran (C)
    Botham
    Dujon (wk)
    Ambrose
    Murali
    McGrath

And it doesn't look perfect I agree

If I were to select an All Time XI then that team would have probably looked like this...

Hobbs
    Hutton
    Bradman (C)
    Lara
    Richards
    Sobers
    Gilchrist (WK)
    Marshall
    Warne
    Lillee
    Barnes

International Vice-Captain Monk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bagapath View Post
    in their long and illustrious careers, warne averaged 25 overs per innings, Hadlee - 24. Garner - 20 and Marshall - 19. That nicely adds up to 88 overs. considering their SR, that should be good enough to bowl the opposition out (for about 250 runs). If they need a breather, there are those useful part timers already mentioned above. no great team needed five full fledged bowlers to win consistently. four great bowlers are difficult come together at the same time for selection. But when they rarely do, they are more than enough to do the job.
    This is true, as Australia showed with McGrath, Gillespie, Lee/Kaspa and Warne/MacGill

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Baggy - who has the job of leading the team song?
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

How do the players decide who has esky duty for the week?
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Which bloke is bringing the watermelon for arvo tea each week and which one is bringing the curried egg sandwiches?

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    It is an assumption that an ATG attack will be bowling against an ATG batting line-up that may include Bradman (or someone equivalent) during any hypothetical Test series. Therefore, as a matter of principle ATG attacks should have as much depth and variety as possible, and I more or less agree with that principle.

The counter argument against including a bona fide batting allrounder is that a pure batsman will score more runs than a down-graded bowling attack will concede to the opposition. Hence, if bagapath thinks that trading a better bowling attack for a better batting line-up is the superior option, and that the net balance is in his teams favour, then an extra pure batsman is the way to go.
    Tendulkar - M.Waugh - Ponting - Richards - Dhoni - Bevan - Kapil Dev - Hadlee - Akram - Garner - Muralitharan

Quote Originally Posted by 8ankitj View Post
    I thought for a moment, it could be Kapil Dev too.Baga, how come the guy who's avatar you wear didn't find a place in your team?
    dude. i had hinted that my favorite cricketer is "absolutely incorruptible". how could you connect kapil dev with that term?

my feelings towards ian botham are kinda complicated. how do I explain myself here? I look at him like a concubine; even if you are doing something else, you will always think of him at the back of your mind. what is he going to do today? will he do this, will he do that???? in the most predictable humdrum proceedings, you can expect him to provide you with the most unexpected uplifting breaks possible. but you can't rely on him to deliver when you want. he had his own axe to grind which sometimes clashed with your requirements. and you don't know for sure if he is thinking of only you when he is with you. occasionally he can be great fun. and for that he can be the one to walk away with temporary rewards. but leave him out of your final will because he won't be a good homemaker. you need allan border to rear your children, teach them good manners, admonish them if necessary, and bring them up properly.
    Last edited by bagapath; 16-09-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    smalishah84 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by watson View Post
    It is an assumption that an ATG attack will be bowling against an ATG batting line-up that may include Bradman (or someone equivalent) during any hypothetical Test series. Therefore, as a matter of principle ATG attacks should have as much depth and variety as possible, and I more or less agree with that principle.

The counter argument against including a bona fide batting allrounder is that a pure batsman will score more runs than a down-graded bowling attack will concede to the opposition. Hence, if bagapath thinks that trading a better bowling attack for a better batting line-up is the superior option, and that the net balance is in his teams favour, then an extra pure batsman is the way to go.
    There's also the fact that he's not actually trying to pick the best team possible. These are personal teams openly mixed with favourites and biases. I think you've missed the point somewhat.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    dude. i had hinted that my favorite cricketer is "absolutely incorruptible". how could you connect kapil dev with that term?

my feelings towards ian botham are kinda complicated. how do I explain myself here? I look at him like a concubine; even if you are doing something else, you will always think of him at the back of your mind. what is he going to do today? will he do this, will he do that???? in the most predictable humdrum proceedings, you can expect him to provide you with the most unexpected uplifting breaks possible. but you can't rely on him to deliver when you want. he had his own axe to grind which sometimes clashed with your requirements. and you don't know for sure if he is thinking of only you when he is with you. occasionally he can be great fun. and for that he can be the one to walk away with temporary rewards. but leave him out of your final will because he won't be a good homemaker. you need allan border to rear your children, teach them good manners, admonish them if necessary, and bring them up properly.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar

Hayden
    Sehwag
    Ponting
    Miandad
    S.Waugh
    Imran (C)
    Botham
    Dujon (wk)
    Ambrose
    Murali
    McGrath

And it doesn't look perfect I agree

If I were to select an All Time XI then that team would have probably looked like this...

Hobbs
    Hutton
    Bradman (C)
    Lara
    Richards
    Sobers
    Gilchrist (WK)
    Marshall
    Warne
    Lillee
    Barnes
    Like your ATG XI. Drifting towards that middle order as well and lots of merit in that bowling attack.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

International Regular OverratedSanity's Avatar

Hayden
    Sehwag
    Ponting
    Miandad
    S.Waugh
    Imran (C)
    Botham
    Dujon (wk)
    Ambrose
    Murali
    McGrath
    Hayden and Sehwag opening would be so much fun to watch
    And if the pitch is flat, oh boy

International Vice-Captain watson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kyear2 View Post
    Like your ATG XI. Drifting towards that middle order as well and lots of merit in that bowling attack.
    I agree that having Imran at No.8 adds depth to the batting while not obviously not compromising the bowling. Also, Clive Lloyd proved that attacking with 3 or 4 fast bowlers consistently pulverises batting orders.

However, deep down I like bagapath's ATG attack the best due to its variety. After all, Barnes used the new ball with great success as suggested by the fact that his best stats were during the first innings of a Test match;

First Innings: Ave = 12 SR = 32
    Second Innings: Ave = 17 SR = 46
    Third Innings: Ave = 19 SR = 47
    Fourth Innings: Ave = 23 SR = 53

http://www.howstat.com.au/cricket/St...?PlayerID=0140

Dennis Lillee
    Malcolm Marshall
    SF Barnes
    Shane Warne
    (Garry Sobers)
    Last edited by watson; 16-09-2013 at 08:45 AM.

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    Would be a great attack, though Barnes shouldn't get the new ball over Marshall or Lillee.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread Information