• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best slip fielders

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
coney was useful. Also used to encourage the cordon to play chicken. one guy at a time had to close his eyes for the entire delivery until it hit the keepers gloves.
RT is quite poor. compared to others in the world.
Tim Macintosh handy but unspectacular.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Bryan Young was a very good slip fielder for a former keeper.

My dad swears Bobby Simpson was in a class of his own, but it's hard to imagine anyone better than Mark Waugh. Carl Hooper was a good call by someone earlier too.

MartinB

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Of the Australians slippers I have seen, Ian/Greg Chappell and Mark Waugh where probably the best. Mark Taylor was also very good.

I only saw Bobby Simpson in 1978 (during WSC days when he was 40 odd, he was still very good then) and so do not want to rate him on one season. He was rated above the other Australlian slippers by most commentators.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dravid's a bit underrated in this department I feel. Before 2011 or so, when he started dropping everything, he was an extremely safe pair of hands, and took some absolute blinders, especially off Kumble and Harbhajan

Last edited:

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Bryan Young and Stephen Fleming. For the few years they overlapped in the same cordon it was superb.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's nice there's still an area of analysis where we can still allow confirmation bias to run free and wild.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Dravid's a bit underrated in this department I feel. Before 2011 or so, when he started dropping everything, he was an extremely safe pair of hands, and took some absolute blinders, especially off Kumble and Harbhajan
Absolutely so...for first few years he used to stand mostly in forward short leg, do remember some amazing ones he pulled of there as well...

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Absolutely so...for first few years he used to stand mostly in forward short leg, do remember some amazing ones he pulled of there as well...
Yeah,he was a very versatile fielder. He was good at short leg, brilliant in the slips, and I remember him taking a ridiculous catch at a shortish square leg... Think the batsman was Moin khan.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Yeah,he was a very versatile fielder. He was good at short leg, brilliant in the slips, and I remember him taking a ridiculous catch at a shortish square leg... Think the batsman was Moin khan.
Yes, it was Moin Khan during the tri series in Australia in early 2000...remember probably a bit more stunning one that he took of the inner edge of Craig Mcmillan (bowler was Javagal Srinath), standing in forward short leg during India's tour of New Zealand in 1998-99.