• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

anil1405

International Captain
There are too many non-veg consumers in the country and thats not a reason. As Pratters pointed out it is about the culture of developing fast bowlers thats missing. There are a good number of teenagers in the country who are well built too but ,for instance, there is no one to guide and tell them small (but extremely crucial) things like what to eat and what not to. By the time a sportsperson in India realises the ideal diet habits he should be following he is either in his 20's or is representing India at international stage. Thats where the 'being athletic' part takes a kick in the ***. I came across so many 13-15yr old footballers in the country who regularly eat oily street food which is strictly prohibited. Sadly there is no one to guide them in such instances.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It has to do with role models. Pakistan never really had express fast bowlers until Imran came along. Fazal Mahmood and Khan Mohammad in the 50s were medium pacers. It is only after Imran that the line started.
While Kapil Dev was more of a swing bowler than a fast bowler, he was one of the most popular cricketers for a couple of decades. I cannot believe that people who watched him didn't want to become a fast bowler. In India, athletic endeavour is generally discouraged. Even bowlers who come to national reckoning and can be built more from the domestic level aren't really encouraged to bowl fast.

The Duleep Trophy final which is taking place right now is a traversty for fast bowling. The highest average speed a bowler is clocking is Ishwar Pandey at 130 KPH. Line and length are given more priority. If it was Pakistan, Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav would be given as much training, exposure and help to step it up to the next level.

Ishant Sharma seems to be almost lost for all it's worth and so was Nehra. However, we think the likes of Mohit Sharma and Vinay Kumar are our answers. We don't really understand fast bowling either despite having the fast bowling academies and TA Sekar training people. Last time I checked, TA Sekar was lost out to Indian cricket as well.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not making excuses.

I see your point that even if 5% of the youth male population have the correct physical attributes then that's a huge pool. The reason they are not developed properly is correctly pointed out by you guys. I agree that Punjab and Haryana have a huge potential in that aspect..maybe Rajasthan and even Kashmir. Can't we have a world-class pace bowling unit out of the resources we have? We absolutely can, I'm not denying that.

I am just saying that the other 95% (just a ballpark figure - don't read too much into it) don't have the attributes to be considered at all. In some other countries, this figure is 60-70% perhaps.

smash84

The Tiger King
While Kapil Dev was more of a swing bowler than a fast bowler, he was one of the most popular cricketers for a couple of decades. I cannot believe that people who watched him didn't want to become a fast bowler. In India, athletic endeavour is generally discouraged. Even bowlers who come to national reckoning and can be built more from the domestic level aren't really encouraged to bowl fast.

The Duleep Trophy final which is taking place right now is a traversty for fast bowling. The highest average speed a bowler is clocking is Ishwar Pandey at 130 KPH. Line and length are given more priority. If it was Pakistan, Varun Aaron and Umesh Yadav would be given as much training, exposure and help to step it up to the next level.

Ishant Sharma seems to be almost lost for all it's worth and so was Nehra. However, we think the likes of Mohit Sharma and Vinay Kumar are our answers. We don't really understand fast bowling either despite having the fast bowling academies and TA Sekar training people. Last time I checked, TA Sekar was lost out to Indian cricket as well.
Sure Kapil was popular (and he wasn't genuinely quick) but I don't think he was as popular or (anywhere) near Tendulkar. Kapil was more like Miandad and Imran like Gavaskar/Tendulkar. There isn't really too much science to being a fast bowler. You just go in there and bowl quick (if you have the shoulder and back for it) and then try to look after it once you make it to a decent level. Do you honestly think Pakistanis take a lot of care to make sure the fast bowlers are trained properly and given a lot of exposure? Of course not. The kids on the street want to be like shoaib or the 2Ws before that or like Imran before that.

There is a an old documentary on youtube on wasim akram shared by robelinda2 and in that Wasim talks about how looking at Imran looked so good running in from the sight screen that Wasim wanted to be like that. Which is what a lot of kids want to do. I am sure kids in India want to play shots like SRT and so you get the likes of Kohli etc

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Sure Kapil was popular (and he wasn't genuinely quick) but I don't think he was as popular or (anywhere) near Tendulkar. Kapil was more like Miandad and Imran like Gavaskar/Tendulkar. There isn't really too much science to being a fast bowler. You just go in there and bowl quick (if you have the shoulder and back for it) and then try to look after it once you make it to a decent level. Do you honestly think Pakistanis take a lot of care to make sure the fast bowlers are trained properly and given a lot of exposure? Of course not. The kids on the street want to be like shoaib or the 2Ws before that or like Imran before that.

There is a an old documentary on youtube on wasim akram shared by robelinda2 and in that Wasim talks about how looking at Imran looked so good running in from the sight screen that Wasim wanted to be like that. Which is what a lot of kids want to do. I am sure kids in India want to play shots like SRT and so you get the likes of Kohli etc
In the 80s, Kapil was as popular as Gavaskar in India. Gavaskar lost much of his popularity due to being a dud in ODI cricket. You can't compare with Tendulkar, because he came later. We should have already had a pack of world-class pacers playing with Tendulkar if getting inspired by Kapil was the only criterion.

smash84

The Tiger King
In the 80s, Kapil was as popular as Gavaskar. You can't compare with Tendulkar, because he came later. We should have already had a pack of world-class pacers playing with Tendulkar if getting inspired by Kapil was the only criterion.
It really is the main criteria. I didn't say that it is the only criteria. And as I said, Kapil wasn't genuinely quick. You did get lots of medium pacers thanks to Kapil :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe youths could get inspired more if Kapil was as good-looking and good with ladies as Imran. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Our glamorous charmers are in bollywood so every clueless youth wants to become sallu bhai or srk.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
We should get Allan Donald a permanent gig with India.

The great man has unleashed the phenomenal talents of Southee and Sreesanth to the world. :ph34r:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Conditions have a lot to do with it as well imo. You get ridiculous wickets in the Ranji where your Binnys and Mohantys rip through lineups and then you have the 600 plays 600 South Indian wickets. There's not much reward for being quick when you can succeed with much less. Most of the top bowlers every season are mediocre medium pacers.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Conditions have a lot to do with it as well imo. You get ridiculous wickets in the Ranji where your Binnys and Mohantys rip through lineups and then you have the 600 plays 600 South Indian wickets. There's not much reward for being quick when you can succeed with much less. Most of the top bowlers every season are mediocre medium pacers.
Sparked?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Case that he's the most under-rated batsman of his generation?
Good call. In the truest definition of the word - i.e. you can be called awesome but still ultimately underrated - it is probably him, then followed by Chanderpaul.

cnerd123

likes this
The pitches is a key point, as is the Ranji/International schedule.

Guys like Tinu Yohannan, Munaf, Irfan, Balaji, RP, VRV all get broken down due to the intense amount of cricket played, and the fact that most pitches don't give them reward for bowling quick, but instead value slower, more accurate bowlers.

A few faster and bouncier pitches, more time between ranji games, and more breaks or the quicks will be what gets us the really fast bowlers.

BeeGee

International Captain
How did a thread about Younis Khan turn into a discussion about Indian quicks? From the sublime to the ridiculous.

Anyhoo, Younis is ****ing awesome.