• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Younis Khan

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
An underrared player who always produces the goods when needed. He now has a century against every country in every country except Australia. Hope he sticks around to play the Aussies in their backyard and smashes a big one.

How would everyone else rate him?

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
I rate him very highly. I was impressed when he came to England in 06. A real romantic blend of style and substance. I know a guy who saw him play live for South Australia, and said he was exceptional.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Tremendous player and whats special about his record is his performances overseas, an area where Mohd Yousuf lags behind..also the fact that he has a century in South Africa, something which both Inzamam and Yousuf (even during his 2006 golden run) failed to achieve.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In his 14 years of test cricket, he's scored atleast one hundred each year except 2003, and that year he played just 2 matches. And since 2004, only one year has he averaged below 45... Pretty awesome consistency there. Third best Pakistani bat for me, and a pretty underrated batsman, although I find his stroke play to be absolutely ugly to watch, just don't see why many people call him 'elegant'

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Big part of his career he copped **** bowlers around him compared to Inzy and Miandad.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Quote from cricinfo article - Pakistan v Australia, 1st Test, Dubai, 4th day : Choosing the 'difficult path' pays off for Younis Khan | Cricket News | Pakistan v Australia | ESPN Cricinfo

Michael Clarke, the Australian captain, was all praise for Younis: "He's a very good player and has been for a long time. I found out yesterday this is only his 93rd Test match, I thought he'd played a lot more than that. He's one of the gentlemen of our game, a class player. I was really impressed with the way he swept, especially left-arm orthodox bowling. It takes a class player to be able to sweep against the spin in those conditions. I'd like to see him not make as many runs, especially against Australia, but I like watching Younis bat."

In response, Younis said he respected the game and his opponents, and so got respect in return. "Main thing is I respect the game, I respect the bowler and I respect [opposition] teams. Whoever performs anywhere in the world, I am happy for them all the time. When they meet with me, I just go and shake hands with them, congratulate them. In the field they might go hard at me, but they know me off the field too. I respect people and in return I do get respect."
Two class acts. :cool:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I love Younis and he's one of my all-time favorite players. I disagree that's he's Pakistan's greatest though. I would rank them as Miandad > Inzi > Younis. In fact, Inzi is massively underrated as a player. I think it's easy to just make fun of Inzi's weight, his laziness, his run-outs, and forget how many times he bailed out Pakistan and held the batting line-up together (even when Younis was in the team as well and would fail from time to time). I saw this article from Wisden India the other day, which bestowed on Inzi the title of Asia's all-time greatest batsman. Of course, most would massively disagree with that statement (as would I), but the analysis in this article does demonstrate how many "big" innings Inzi played for Pakistan.

A Giant From Any Angle

"If you look at conventional batting averages of batsmen in matches that their teams won, after Superman, sorry, Bradman, it is Inzamam who is number two on that list – with an average of 78 in 49 matches won. Given that Pakistan was not among the top two Test sides in the world during a lot of Inzamam’s career, that again provides an indication of an extraordinary career."

Flametree

International 12th Man
I love Younis and he's one of my all-time favorite players. I disagree that's he's Pakistan's greatest though. I would rank them as Miandad > Inzi > Younis. In fact, Inzi is massively underrated as a player. I think it's easy to just make fun of Inzi's weight, his laziness, his run-outs, and forget how many times he bailed out Pakistan and held the batting line-up together (even when Younis was in the team as well and would fail from time to time). I saw this article from Wisden India the other day, which bestowed on Inzi the title of Asia's all-time greatest batsman. Of course, most would massively disagree with that statement (as would I), but the analysis in this article does demonstrate how many "big" innings Inzi played for Pakistan.

A Giant From Any Angle

"If you look at conventional batting averages of batsmen in matches that their teams won, after Superman, sorry, Bradman, it is Inzamam who is number two on that list – with an average of 78 in 49 matches won. Given that Pakistan was not among the top two Test sides in the world during a lot of Inzamam’s career, that again provides an indication of an extraordinary career."
That's a double-edged sword surely... if a number of those wins were innings defeats over muppets against quality spin or demon pace (I'm thinking you, New Zealand) then his runs were helpful but hardly crucial. Meanwhile presumably he has a pretty woeful average in matches Pakistan lost, when his team really needed him to perform....

Fusion

Global Moderator
That's a double-edged sword surely... if a number of those wins were innings defeats over muppets against quality spin or demon pace (I'm thinking you, New Zealand) then his runs were helpful but hardly crucial. Meanwhile presumably he has a pretty woeful average in matches Pakistan lost, when his team really needed him to perform....
Of course you could look at it that way, and there might be some merit to it. However, I think what I took from it is: If Inzi played well, Pakistan usually won. If he failed, we sucked. That's a lot of pressure to carry your team's fortunes on your shoulders. Especially when the lineup around you is dog ****.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Inzi's record against Australia will always count against him when being assessed against Javed.

smash84

The Tiger King
Inzi's record against Australia will always count against him when being assessed against Javed.
well, tbf Miandad's record against the WI wasn't all that flash either although he did almost carry through Pakistan to a series victory in the caribbean in 1988. But Miandad definitely the more mentally strong individual. He wouldn't be cowed down by even the mighty WI.