• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA slams 'bigotry' against Ahmed

kingkallis

International Coach
Cricket Australia boss James Sutherland has condemned ''bigoted'' comments about Australian spinner Fawad Ahmed, after former rugby union international David Campese said he should ''go home'' if he didn't want to wear a beer sponsor's logo on his playing shirt.

Campese was commenting on a story that appeared in Sydney's Daily Telegraph, in which former Test batsman Doug Walters was quoted as saying: ''I think if he doesn't want to wear the team gear, he should not be part of the team. Maybe if he doesn't want to be paid that's OK''. Campese tweeted: ''Doug Walters tells Pakistan-born Fawad Ahmed: if you don't like the VB uniform, don't play for Australia Well said doug. Tell him to go home.''

Read more: CA slams 'bigotry' against Ahmed

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wonder how long it is before some PR nonentity claims Campese was 'misquoted' and his comments were 'taken out of context'.

fredfertang

It's all a set up so the advertisers can make a huge point of exempting Ahmed from having to endorse their product and looking like the good guys - bet they slip Campo a wedge afterwards

jan

State Vice-Captain
Interesting issue. Im thinking...
My club's badge has a lion in it. I believe there are people who want to play cricket and have issues with lions and would not wear this badge. This people better join other club.

uvelocity

International Coach
It's all a set up so the advertisers can make a huge point of exempting Ahmed from having to endorse their product and looking like the good guys - bet they slip Campo a wedge afterwards
thats already exactly what happened (the first bit)

which is of course a win./win and we all know there will never be 11 players who object to alcohol sponsorship for religious reasons so it's a no problem for him to not wear it

TNT

Banned
Ironic that he fled Pakistan because religious nuts were trying to force their version of religion on him.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This will be an intolerant post that will draw censure but I am just some mug on the Internet so take it for what it is worth

Some religious beliefs annoy me -"I can't be associated with beer" like this chap.
sikhs who say "I need to wear a sword on the outside of my clothing in public for religious reasons" despite the fact people feel intimidated around them.
religious views on the role of women in society in Afghanistan
mormans who need to marry 13 wives and leave some other poor chap unable to meet anyone because you have hogged all the ladies to yourself.

I basically agree with Doug Walters - but think Campo was a bit OTT

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Telling him to go home is worse than "over the top". Its downright disgusting.

You could easily communicate that you think he should have to wear the logo and not be a xenophobic prick.

The sad thing about all of this was that a comment like this from a known commentator (surprised it didn't come from that ****head Rodney Hogg) was inevitable. I knew it would eventually occur.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
there's a pretty big difference between preferring not to wear a logo and oppressing women or carrying around a sword. For example, no-one is in any danger of being hurt with the first one

Spikey

gonna put a VB logo onto the shirt I'll be wearing while voting btw #ausvotes #VBproud

andyc

Looking forward to the Aussies running out with this logo in future:

Still don't think I've ever drunk a worse beer.

Anyway, a stupid, stupid reaction from Campese here - if anything VB would be loving the fact that they get to appear a sensitive brand and CA is loving the fact that they get to appear a sensitive organisation as they target the Asian population. Wonder if Ahmed would've done anything about it had CA not approached him first.

Hooksey

Banned
VB are getting far more publicity out of Ahmed not wearing the logo than they would if he did wear it.

Top_Cat

This will be an intolerant post that will draw censure but I am just some mug on the Internet so take it for what it is worth

Some religious beliefs annoy me -"I can't be associated with beer" like this chap.
sikhs who say "I need to wear a sword on the outside of my clothing in public for religious reasons" despite the fact people feel intimidated around them.
religious views on the role of women in society in Afghanistan
mormans who need to marry 13 wives and leave some other poor chap unable to meet anyone because you have hogged all the ladies to yourself.

I basically agree with Doug Walters - but think Campo was a bit OTT
Serious question - have you actually seen someone's kirpan? I have Sikh friends and have never seen theirs for at least one fairly obvious reason.