• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA slams 'bigotry' against Ahmed

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
On the topic, Dougie a brand loyalist so I can see his perspective a bit but Campo, oye.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
VB are getting far more publicity out of Ahmed not wearing the logo than they would if he did wear it.
Its true, but hands up all the people who have, or have thought of purchasing VB since hearing about this event. Anyone? But its a subconscious thing they say..

Spikey

hands up all the people who have, or have thought of purchasing VB since they started sponsoring the team

benchmark00

Are you assuming he meant back to Pakistan or to his cozy 2 bedroom apartment in Melbourne?
Yeah this is actually a point I've struggled with in the last day. What does he actually mean?

No doubt the connotations are ridiculous, but it would be interesting to know what he actually meant. I suspect he meant Pakistan because Campese is a **** head, but no doubt if he was pressed on it he'd say home to Australia.

Don't get me wrong, either way he's a **** wit, I think one is less bad than the other though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
hands up all the people who have, or have thought of purchasing VB since they started sponsoring the team
Exactly my point. I'm pretty skeptical of some forms of marketing though it must be said..

Hooksey

Banned
Its true, but hands up all the people who have, or have thought of purchasing VB since hearing about this event. Anyone? But its a subconscious thing they say..
I haven't drank VB for years, nor even thought about the brand. But all of a sudden the VB name is everywhere and as they say, there's no such thing as bad advertising.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Serious question - have you actually seen someone's kirpan? I have Sikh friends and have never seen theirs for at least one fairly obvious reason.
I have seen them wearing them downtown Vancouver which has a massive sikh population. But have never seen one live unsheathed (drawn out).

Nonetheless I felt intimidated by the peeps who were wearing them. Much like I don't like to see people with a gun attached to their belt downtown.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
theres not really much to respond to. it's just a stupid ****ing logo.
How much did VB pay to have their stupid ****ing logo on the team uniform? Anybody? So its important to someone.

Here is my much vaunted essay
Maybe this has perversely worked out well for VB with all the publicity for them. But when he made his decision he didn't know that. He thought he was making a trade off between disadvantaging the advertiser and protecting his religious beliefs. I reckon you can have any religious belief you want as long as you aren't disadvantaging other people. And all those examples I gave in my first post disadvantage other people. The only other example I can think of about religious beliefs and sport is that Michael Jones wouldn't play in the world cup on a Sunday. But then he was also disadvantaging himself as well as the team because he personally didn't get the test spot. In this VB logo boycott the fellow still wants to play for the team.
I reckon sponsorship is a big deal for sports team so I reckon it is a bigger deal than a small piece of cloth on a shirt.
Thus endeth the essay.

Ceterus Perebus (can't have an essay without that somewhere).

Almost shot an eagle btw.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I haven't drank VB for years, nor even thought about the brand. But all of a sudden the VB name is everywhere and as they say, there's no such thing as bad advertising.
Fawad its worth, I disagree that there is no such thing as bad advertising. There is so much bad advertising, there is some good too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
To play devil's advocate slightly, why are religious objections to advertising logos treated as a separate category to other, some might argue more salient, disinclinations to wearing them?

If folk what to go to whatever building of their choice and talk to their invisible chum (or chums for polytheists), that's all good but should they qualify for special treatment? What if, say, Chris Rogers was a CAMRA member and objected to a VB logo on the (reasonable) grounds that it's macro brewed pisswater? Should he be excused too?

Howe_zat

Audio File
To play devil's advocate slightly, why are religious objections to advertising logos treated as a separate category to other, some might argue more salient, disinclinations to wearing them?

If folk what to go to whatever building of their choice and talk to their invisible chum (or chums for polytheists), that's all good but should they qualify for special treatment? What if, say, Chris Rogers was a CAMRA member and objected to a VB logo on the (reasonable) grounds that it's macro brewed pisswater? Should he be excused too?
Well in this case it's as people have said, there aren't enough Muslims around the team for it to become an issue for the sponsors, so they can object.

More generally with these things - headwear in school etc - it's a combination of being able to deal with a few exceptions to the rule and not wanting to cause a ****storm. I think you're right, but in order to keep people happy it's a fair compromise.

Hooksey

Banned
Fawad its worth, I disagree that there is no such thing as bad advertising. There is so much bad advertising, there is some good too.
The " There's no such thing as bad advertising" expression is of course from a seller's perspective. In this case VB's :D

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Did Khawaja wear a VB logo when he played? I must admit I didn't notice. Not even sure if the test kit has one on anyway.

I don't actually know if he's Muslim, tbf, but as he took his maiden bow in Pakistan there's a sporting chance he was born into the faith even if he's not an adherent.

Hooksey

Banned
Did Khawaja wear a VB logo when he played? I must admit I didn't notice. Not even sure if the test kit has one on anyway.

I don't actually know if he's Muslim, tbf, but as he took his maiden bow in Pakistan there's a sporting chance he was born into the faith even if he's not an adherent.
929314-usman-khawaja.jpg

Yes he did wear it.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hmm. Interesting.

Wonder if Invers et al ever thought to ask him if he objected?

I know he's culturally Australian (having been raised as a crim since he was 3) as opposed to just legally Australian like Fawad, but if he's a Muslim too...