• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South African Domestic Season 2013/14

SeamUp

International Coach
Simon Harmer suspended for this weeks 4-day Sunfoil Series match due to obscene gesture/bad language to an umpire during a T20 game.

Give me a break !

SeamUp

International Coach
Why don't they suspend him from T20s if that's where the offence occurred?
That is my thinking. Like for like. They probably think waiting till next seasons T20 series is too long.

It seems like once the decision has been made, whatever his next game is, that is the game he will be suspended for. Which is madness.

SeamUp

International Coach
So the Knights have lost another senior player in Ryan McLaren who will join the Dolphins.

It looks like they would have lost or let go Morne van Wyk,Ryan Bailey, Dean Elgar, Ryan McLaren, Nicky Boje and Johan van der Wath in the last 2 seasons. Huge knock to the senior core in the dressing room.

The incomings look decent though in leggie Eddie Leie and they are set to sign Richard Levi too.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Piedt on course for higher honours - Ontong - SuperSport - Cricket

Dane Piedt is bowling "fantastically well" at the moment, due to a combination of his Liquorice Allsorts-variations, and his Graeme Swann-like revolutions, says Justin Ontong, a former South African test batsman and captain of the Nashua Mobile Cape Cobras.

The 24-year old Piedt, offspinner of the Cobras, and Simon Harmer, 25-year old offspinner of the Chevrolet Warriors, are currently the leading wicket-takers in the Sunfoil Series this season.

Harmer, a regular figure in the South Africa A team, has captured 31 wickets in seven games at an average of 34.51.

Piedt has removed 28 batsmen in five matches at an average of 21.28. In his previous Sunfoil Series clash against The Unlimited Titans, he took 6-100 in the second innings.

He achieved a hat-trick two weeks ago against the Sunfoil Dolphins as he and Travis Muller sent the visitors packing.

Yet, for all his guile and control, Ontong still thinks Harmer is half a length in front of the relatively inexperienced Piedt. He would rather like the young bowler to feature in the SA A team for the tour to Australia later in 2014, rather than to jump the queue or pecking order and bypass Harmer.

"One of the things that impressed me about Dane, is how quick he bowls and the revolutions he gets on the ball, almost like Graeme Swann. It is very difficult for batsmen to advance down the pitch and to hit him over the top.

"His subtle variations of pace is something that he bamboozles batsmen with.

"He has the top-spinner, the arm ball and even a so-called Carrom delivery that he uses that spins the other way, but he seldom employs that at first-class level, because it is his variation of pace and the amount of spin that gets him the wickets," said Ontong.

Harmer has captured 189 wickets in 49 matches at an average of 32.41, while Piedt has 135 scalps to his name at an average of 25.11 in 38 matches.

Ontong said he would like Piedt to add consistency to his game and become shrewder in reading pitches and opposing batsmen before he is elevated to the national team.

Yet, the former South African middle-order batsman is already a fan of Piedt, acknowledging that his economy rate and ability as a holding bowler has richly benefited the Cobras this season in the domestic four-day showpiece.

Briony

International Debutant
Some views from Boeta Dippenaar on Rossouw. This has been floating around for the last couple of seasons. Its time Rilee matures and steps up to the plate.

'Rossouw has the talent but lacks hunger'
Have noticed him around the traps and thought he looked talented. Maybe he needs encouragement from the selectors that he is on their radar. It would be easy to become disenchanted if you thought you weren't a chance of being promoted.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well he's averaging just shy of 50 this season in the Sunfoil Series; I'm not sure there's all that much to complain about at the moment. Top score of just 111 does suggest he gets a bit bored I suppose which backs up Dippenaar's comment to an extent, but still...

SeamUp

International Coach
Have noticed him around the traps and thought he looked talented. Maybe he needs encouragement from the selectors that he is on their radar. It would be easy to become disenchanted if you thought you weren't a chance of being promoted.
He has been in the 'A' team and done well at times and also went on the batting and spin-bowling camp to Sri Lanka last winter.

Was also 1 of 12 players recently given a 'CSA' performance contract which is a top-up contract on your franchise one. 6 of the players are considered the 'black' African players with most potential (Bavuma, Zondo, Mosehle, Phangiso, Leie, Rabada) and other 6 are considered at this point next in line like R. Hendricks, Rossouw, van Zyl, Harmer, B. Hendricks & Abbott.

Well he's averaging just shy of 50 this season in the Sunfoil Series; I'm not sure there's all that much to complain about at the moment. Top score of just 111 does suggest he gets a bit bored I suppose which backs up Dippenaar's comment to an extent, but still...
He is a consistent 100 scorer but I think your point is a crucial one PEWS. Needs to score big hundreds for his team. Besides the triple century, I'm struggling to remember another 150+ score.

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans targets rising stars - SuperSport - Cricket

Titans targets rising stars

Jacques Faul, the Titans chief executive, could not have been happier when Graeme Smith retired from international cricket last week.

Smith's surprise announcement left a vacancy in the list of nationally-contracted players, which was promptly filled by Knights allrounder Dean Elgar.

Faul had just persuaded Elgar to move from Bloemfontein to Centurion and, in essence, would now be getting him for free because his salary would be covered by Cricket South Africa.

"Dean has signed for the Titans. He's a gutsy, no-nonsense player and a good batter – exactly the kind of player we want," Faul said on Wednesday.

Elgar was not the only player on the Titans' shopping list.

"I can confirm that we are talking to Quinton de Kock's agent," said Faul.

He said the Titans had also opened preliminary negotiations with two high-profile Cape-based players, although he declined to name them.

The Knights' stocks would be further depleted being likely to lose two more senior players in Ryan McLaren and Johan van der Wath.

McLaren would be following former Knights teammate Morne van Wyk to the Dolphins.

Van der Wath, in all likelihood, would be throwing his lot in with the Warriors, having become a free agent.

"Van der Wath hasn't had his contract renewed by the board so he'll be moving on," said Knights coach Sarel Cilliers.

He said the Knights were not in the market themselves – at least for the time being.

"We're pleased with the development of players like Rudi Second and from a bowling point-of-view, Corne Dry, so I think next season is going to be one of building and consolidation for us.

"Obviously it's a big blow losing a player like Dean but sometimes players stagnate a little and they need a different challenge."

SeamUp

International Coach
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=665895273470779

RYAN MCLAREN ADDED TO SUNFOIL DOLPHINS 2014 2015 SQUAD
KZN Cricket (Pty) is really pleased to officially announce that Ryan McLaren will be joining the Sunfoil Dolphins with effect from 1 May 2014.

Ryan is a CSA contracted player and has nominated the Sunfoil Dolphins as his franchise of choice for the coming season.

Ryan has represented the Proteas in all three formats and is currently a key member of the Proteas Test and ODI squads.

“Ryan will be an invaluable asset to the Sunfoil Dolphins as not only an all-rounder but also as a senior player. He will strengthen the leadership group around Morne van Wyk. I am also confident that his experience and professionalism will help grow and nurture our young bowlers and all-rounders in Calvin Savage, Daryn Dupavillon, Andile Phehlukwayo, Craig Kirsten and Tsepo Moreki”, said Jesse Chellan, CEO of Sunfoil Dolphins.

The coach, Lance Klusener said, “Ryan McLaren is one of the premier all-rounders’ in the country and his decision to play for the Sunfoil Dolphins next season is exciting news for both fans and the team. The way he plays his cricket and what he will bring to the team will compliment us as a team very well. I wish him a long and happy stay with the Sunfoil Dolphins”.

Commenting on joining the team Ryan said, “I have been playing for Chevrolet Knights for 10 years of my cricket career and was looking for a change in environment. I’m looking forward to the new challenge and I hope that this new opportunity will bring about a positive change to my cricket career.

Fa-eez Jaffar, President of KZNCU said, “It is a pleasure to welcome Ryan on board at the Sunfoil Dolphins. We are happy to welcome a player of his calibre. Being a national player, he will definitely bolster our team as a genuine all-rounder. It is also good sign for the Sunfoil Dolphins when players from other franchises want to be associated with the team. We wish him all the best in the coming season”.

SeamUp

International Coach
From an Afrikaans newspaper on the Knights situation. Used Google translate so unfortunately there is some gibberish in-between.

Topic: This is the youth's chances -

JohanJohan van Heerden, CEO of the Free State Cricket Union and Knights opened Beeld played cards with the contracting of players.

After the game against the Lions at the Wanderers Neil McKenzie in the Knights' locker room sit and chat. He said it's the first time that he has seen that Rilee Rossouw to every ball and play some deliveries on merit in peace.

Having recently experienced a number of senior players like Morne van Wyk (Dolphins), Dean Elgar (Titans), Ryan McLaren (Dolphins) and Johan van der Wath (his contract was not renewed) lost, McKenzie's words music to my ears sounded.

The loss of these senior players are extremely unfortunate and a huge blow. But now it's time for players like Rilee, Reeza Hendricks and Quinton Friend to senior roles in the team to play. And the gaps that Dean them, creating opportunities for young players to the foreground action. However, it is wonderful to someone like McKenzie to hear that a player like Rilee has immediately the responsibility as a senior in the team accepted.

I come all the space immediately above uncertainty about players' moves out of the way first. I want to make it clear that our board recently with Dean Ryan and John met - we also have the rest of our contracted players meet to clarify as to give.

Dean really wanted two years ago after the Titans move because he thinks he will enjoy being with AB de Villiers and Faf du Plessis to play. He believes if he all the time with AB and Faf play them more to see what he can offer, it would benefit him to have to be looked at Protea level.

His departure is especially a blow on the role of serving as a senior with the juniors in the Nets locker room and interpreted.

The decision not to Johan's contract was not renewed, was a mere cricketing decision. We felt it was time for Corné Dry and Duanne Olivier as strong fast bowlers in the foreground action. We are very grateful to Johan for the past 17 years meant to us and we want him to be a bonus dinner resign.

Ryan's decision to move to the Dolphins is definitely influenced by chance in the Champions League play. The presence of Morne Durban in his decision easier. Morne was there earlier because he felt that his cricket after all these years at the Knights to a new level in a different environment would take. . . something which he amazingly well passed.

A man replaces the above players is not easy. But we are happy with the core of players we have in the current Group of 16 and Rilee, Reeza and Quinton them-in the foreground must act. Our contract is always a minimum of 16 and maximum of 18 players. There is room for two players to be contracted.

We have these places specifically left open since we have two top players want to outsource whose names soon we might make. (Believed to be Richard Levi & Eddie Leie) But it's encouraging that recently Rilee his contract for a further two years have. Reeza has another year of his existing contract over and we have to negotiate for a further two years.

Over the captaincy council that the captain decided, in September meeting. Werner Coetsee take as skipper and there is tranquility.

There is tranquility that our coaches Sarel Cilliers and Adri Swanepoel concerned, whose current contract expires in April 2015. We will be in February the process with the coaches in motion.

However, I am positive about the future of Free State cricket and Knights key players like Pite van Biljon and Rudi Second we have in our midst. We have extremely talented players like schools Driaan Bruwer (recent u19 world cup winner) and Leus du Plooy contracted.

It's time for the youngsters to have their chances to grab!

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What ever happened to jonathan Vandiar? Over hyped to much?
A combination of poor attitude and poor fitness has seen him reach no where near where he could have reached. Still only 24 but hasn't played for the last 3 months due to an injury. Tough to say what is ahead for him.

SeamUp

International Coach
Big result for the Knights beating the Cobras this past week. Which makes it a two horse race between the 2 with 2 games left. Really is impressive from the Knights with their inexperience with Elgar and McLaren hardly playing and vd Wath and du Preez's injuries.

Knights v Cape Cobras at Kimberley, Mar 13-16, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Warriors v Lions at Port Elizabeth, Mar 13-16, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Titans v Dolphins at Benoni, Mar 13-16, 2014 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Table after 8 games

COBRAS 99.04
KNIGHTS 94.1
DOLPHINS 71.86
WARRIORS 69.88
LIONS 68.98
TITANS 55.38

MAR 27-30

DOLPHINS v LIONS @ Kingsmead
COBRAS v WARRIORS @ Newlands
TITANS v KNIGHTS @ Centurion

APR 3-6

KNIGHTS v DOLPHINS @ Chevrolet Park
LIONS v COBRAS @ Wanderers
TITANS v WARRIORS @ Centurion

Marius

International Debutant
Cricket South Africa punished for slow transformation, barred from hosting ICC events | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Mbalula bans SA from bidding for major rugby, cricket events | Sport24

So because transformation is to slow.... we shall ban the sports from bidding for major events. So this will allow for better transformation how?!!!!! Gotta love the logic. :huh:
Great thinking Mbalula.

I also think that there are elections in four months' time may also have something to do with this.

My best is he praises SAFA for meeting its transformation targets. But Bafana couldn't kick their way out of a paper bag. We're ranked 70th in football, one place above Haiti, but it's ok, because the sport is 'transformed'.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Great thinking Mbalula.

I also think that there are elections in four months' time may also have something to do with this.

My best is he praises SAFA for meeting its transformation targets. But Bafana couldn't kick their way out of a paper bag. We're ranked 70th in football, one place above Haiti, but it's ok, because the sport is 'transformed'.
Football met their targets but still got slapped for not doing enough in introducing football into the former model c afrikaans skools.

And Jip definitely an election strategy. Trying to shift focus from nkandla,ect...