• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South African Domestic Season 2013/14

SeamUp

International Coach
Talking about Johann Louw, he announced his retirement from FC cricket for the end of the season this past week.

Johann Louw, the Cape Cobras medium-pacer, has said he will retire as a professional cricketer at the end of the ongoing South African domestic season.

Louw, 34, played three ODIs and two Twenty20 internationals for South Africa in 2008 and 2009, but he built his career as a first-class cricketer. Louw played 145 first-class games, taking 443 wickets at 29 apiece, and 216 wickets in 163 List A games since 2000-01. He represented teams in South Africa and England: Boland, Cobras, Dolphins, Eagles, Eastern Province, Griqualand West, Middlesex and Northamptonshire. He has been credited with aiding the development of several Cobras youngsters, including Beuran Hendricks, who now finds himself on the fringes of national selection.

"As this journey comes to an end I am forever grateful for such a long and enjoyable 14-year career." Louw said. "There were lessons learned and memories made that will last me a life time. From my early days at Griquas to the Dolphins and then finishing an era at the Cape Cobras, where we have been so prolific over the past five seasons, the experiences will be with me forever.

"I would like to thank a few people for their significant contribution to my career. Firstly, as an early mentor Kepler Wessels was really outstanding. Learning from Shaun Pollock and Lance Klusener during my days with the Dolphins was probably the biggest privilege and rounded me as a cricketer.

"I want to also say a particular thank you to Northamptonshire County Cricket Club, the Dolphins and a special mention to the Cape Cobras for their belief in me and for the unwavering support over the years."
Other 35+ players still around include Justin Kemp, Charl Langeveldt, Ashwell Prince, Nicky Boje, Johan van der Watch and Neil McKenzie.

SeamUp

International Coach
Young, Theunis de Bruyn, became the 9th player from the last u19 WC to play franchise cricket today.

Scored 53* off 39 balls as well - Titan 138/2 (17.3 ov, TB de Bruyn 53*, GL van Buuren 13*, Q Friend 0/26) - Match over | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

The 9 are Quinton de Kock, Gihahn Cloete, Theunis de Bruyn, Shayen Pillay, Diego Rosier, Calvin Savage, Prenelan Subrayen, Corne Dry & Lizaad Williams.

The players still to make their franchise debuts are the captain Chad Bowes, Murray Coetzee, Jan Frylinck, Vincent Moore, Solo Nqweni and David Rhoda.

Marius

International Debutant
The Lions finally won a game. Was a much better balanced side, how Tsolekile was getting picked solely as a batsman ahead of Conway, Cook, and Bavuma is ridiculous.

Eddie Leie also really impressed me, bowled with good control, has a fantastic googly, and kept his nerve when the Dolphins batsmen tried to go after him. I can see him playing for SA in the future.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Lions finally won a game. Was a much better balanced side, how Tsolekile was getting picked solely as a batsman ahead of Conway, Cook, and Bavuma is ridiculous.

Eddie Leie also really impressed me, bowled with good control, has a fantastic googly, and kept his nerve when the Dolphins batsmen tried to go after him. I can see him playing for SA in the future.
Yup, dropped Bodi too and left Tanvir out. About bloody time. van der Dussen has disappointed as well.

They missed Symes due to injury for the finisher role. Morris playing through the ankle injury isn't doing himself favours because him and Viljoen haven't been as devastating in the limited overs formats as last season.

Like Leie a lot. Think his quick arm action can make him difficult to pick up. Just one of a promising group of spinners around like Dane Piedt, Simon Harmer, Keshav Maharaj, Prenelan Subrayen and Shaun von Berg.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Cobras through to the Ram Slam T20 Final and will play the winner of Dolphins and Titans in Durban.

Sunil Narine will miss out for the Cobras due to having to play a game for T & T for Windies qualification. No Amla, Smith, Duminy, Philander, Peterson, Steyn and Kleinveldt.

Probable team: Levi, Vilas, van Zyl, Ontong, Engelbrecht, Kemp, Khan, Piedt, Mgijima, Paterson/Williams/Plaatjies, B. Hendricks OR they could play extra batsman Vallie for Paterson/Williams/Plaatjies

The Titans will be without AB , Faf and Morne. Albie missed yesterdays game with tonsillitis which enabled young de Bruyn to play and is in doubt for play off game. Marchent de Lange won't be rushed after his injuries and if his recent return is anything to go by they definitely won't pick him to replace M.Morkel, Will probably go to CJ de Villiers or JP de Villiers.

The Dolphins have been impressive this season and I would expect it to be as you were.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Yup, dropped Bodi too and left Tanvir out. About bloody time. van der Dussen has disappointed as well.

They missed Symes due to injury for the finisher role. Morris playing through the ankle injury isn't doing himself favours because him and Viljoen haven't been as devastating in the limited overs formats as last season.

Like Leie a lot. Think his quick arm action can make him difficult to pick up. Just one of a promising group of spinners around like Dane Piedt, Simon Harmer, Keshav Maharaj, Prenelan Subrayen and Shaun von Berg.
Yeah, our depth is looking good at the moment. And was really impressed with the Lions side, that's the side that should have been playing the whole season. And I think apart from Viljoen, they are all guys who have come through the Lions system, none are imports.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah, our depth is looking good at the moment. And was really impressed with the Lions side, that's the side that should have been playing the whole season. And I think apart from Viljoen, they are all guys who have come through the Lions system, none are imports.
The Lions always produce players but somehow find a way of losing them ie Graeme Smith, Vaughn van Jaarsveld & Dane Vilas

Agree, with the balance. You just can't go into a T20 with a keeper-batsman at all. Technically van der Dussen , Phangiso and Morris all grew up in Titans country too. :)

They've struggled badly with their quick bowling for quite some time. They had the Mean Machine and then they had some good years with Richard Snell, Steven Jack , David Terbrugge and Andrew Hall for a bit. That is why it was crucial they got Morris and Viljoen into the set-up. Tsotsobe joined them but still hasn't played. Then there is the North West left-armer Dieter Klein and 3 quicks playing for Gauteng Pumelela Matshikwe, Sean Jamison and Junior Dala (debuted for the Lions this season). The latter two from Easterns but playing club cricket for Uni of Joburg and doing excellently.

Add to it that Gauteng have won u19 Coke Week and u19 Cubs Week for the last 2 years so they should continue to produce talent.

Got the likes of Quinton de Kock, Devon Conway, Temba Bavuma, Shaylen Pillay & Dominic Hendricks in the Lions set-up in the last few years.

Plus from last years winning Gauteng Coke Week team they have young batsman like Grant Roelofsen (Old Edwardians), Ryan Rickelton (Kagiso CC), Yaseen Valli (UJ), Bradley Dial (Soweto CC), Marques Ackerman (Caxton Khosa) plus quicks Kagiso Rabada (Soweto CC), Keith Dudgeon (UJ) & Brandon Glover (Old Edwardians). Also a young batting all-rounder Wiaan Mulder (Roshnee CC) in their u15 team last year who has big raps. Also good that they are playing club cricket when they can too.

So if the talent is nurtured well there can be good times.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Play-off for the final tomorrow at Durban

Dolphins squad (same)

Morne van Wyk, Cameron Delport, Cody Chetty, Dave Miller, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Khaya Zondo, Daryn Smit, Keshav Maharaj, Prenelan Subrayen, Kyle Nipper, Robbie Frylinck, Kyle Abbott, Craig Alexander, Mthokozisi Shezi

Titans squad (out: M.Morkel in: A.Morkel, de Lange, CJ de Villiers)

Heino Kuhn, Henry Davids, Theunis de Bruyn, Graeme van Buuren, Farhaan Behardien, Albie Morkel, David Wiese, Magaliso Mosehle, Roelof van der Merwe, Saeed Ajmal, Ethy Mbhalati, CJ de Villiers, Marchant de Lange

SeamUp

International Coach
Theunis de Bruyn on getting sledged by van der Wath and Elgar on debut

Knights sledging did not unnerve De Bruyn - SuperSport - Cricket

Knights sledging did not unnerve De Bruyn

The Chevrolet Knights probed unsuccessfully for a chink in the mental armour of debutant Theunis de Bruyn with "a few choice words," but found none as the former South African under-19 player smashed 53 on Sunday to propel The Unlimited Titans to an eight-wicket win in the RAM SLAM T20 Challenge.

The vital win enabled the Titans to reach the playoff against the Sunfoil Dolphins on Wednesday at Kingsmead in Durban.

De Bruyn admitted that Johan van der Wath and Dean Elgar had a few things to say to him in his first senior appearance for the Titans. Their sledging though, only served to make him even more focused.

“Dean was not very happy when I hit him for a straight six and he had a go. I usually like to say something back, but it was my first game and I haven’t earned the right yet,” he added.

De Bruyn hit 53 off 37 balls, including two fours and three sixes, and showed his class.

Currently a third-year accounting student at the University of Pretoria, the 21-year old De Bruyn was particularly severe on Malusi Siboto as he played two extravagant hook shots for sixes off him later on in his innings.

De Bruyn was a member of the South African under-19 team that finished third during the World Cup in Australasia in 2012.

De Bruyn finished among the top five on the list of batting averages. The team included well-known first-class stars like Quinton de Kock, Gihahn Cloete and Lizaad Williams.

A groin injury has put De Bruyn’s career on hold for a while, but according to Nils Momberg, manager of youth cricket at Cricket South Africa, they have expected him to make his senior debut early, but injuries curtailed his progress.

Sledging has always been part of the tactics employed by teams to unnerve opponents. Steve Waugh, a former captain of Australia, said it was geared to cause the mental disintegration of opponents.

Shane Warne, a former Australian legspinner, said the word derives from a simile: “As subtle as a sledgehammer.”

When asked about the exact words used by Van der Wath and Elgar, De Bruyn just laughed and said: “What is said on the field, stays on the field.”

“It was real fun. I enjoyed it,” he added.

SeamUp

International Coach
From 24* off 20 balls to 93* off 37 balls for Miller. If the Dolphins don't win here I will be amazed.

SeamUp

International Coach
Titans came up short by 31 runs despite a good knock from Heino Kuhn.

The Dolphins will join the Cobras in the final at Newlands on Sunday and have qualified for the Champions League.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looks like a monologue here Seam Up. Miller is good to watch.
Haha, it seems like I'm trying my best to let the rest of the forum know what is happening locally.

There used to be a few regs on here but they all gone. :unsure:

SeamUp

International Coach
Dolphins pulled off an upset to beat the Cobras by 2 runs in the Ram Slam T20 final. Cobras did have to make a number of changes with Narine back in Trinidad and all the Proteas away.

First trophy for the Dolphins since they shared the 4-day series in 2005. Zulu and Benks were still in the Dolphins team.

They deserves it though. Great brand of cricket, great coaching staff and great team spirit.

Delport finally realizing his hitting ability more consistently. van Wyk's move from the Knights to lead crucuial. Great wristy shots from Chetty. Miller the king pin. van Jaarsveld's hitting power. Zondo's growth as a player under Zulu and Benks. Smit 'the man who can do anything'. Maharaj and Subrayen two young bright spinners. Frylinck great change-ups. Abbott the bowler who keeps coming at you and leading the pace attack with pacey Alexander and accurate of Shezi.

Last edited:

Marius

International Debutant
Dolphins pulled off an upset to beat the Cobras by 2 runs in the Ram Slam T20 final. Cobras did have to make a number of changes with Narine back in Trinidad and all the Proteas away.

First trophy for the Dolphins since they shared the 4-day series in 2005. Zulu and Benks were still in the Dolphins team.

They deserves it though. Great brand of cricket, great coaching staff and great team spirit.

Delport finally realizing his hitting ability more consistently. van Wyk's move from the Knights to lead crucuial. Great wristy shots from Chetty. Miller the king pin. van Jaarsveld's hitting power. Zondo's growth as a player under Zulu and Benks. Smit 'the man who can do anything'. Maharaj and Subrayen two young bright spinners. Frylinck great change-ups. Abbott the bowler who keeps coming at you and leading the pace attack with pacey Alexander and accurate of Shezi.
What a game. Great by the Dolphins.

What I thought was ridiculous though was the Cobras guy, Mgijima, coming in at 9, and not bowling.

It's clear that he simply a quota player. Surely him just making up the numbers in the XI is worse for him than if he was playing for one of the franchise feeder teams, and actually getting some game time?

I support transformation, but incidents like this are just silly.