• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South African Domestic Season 2013/14

SeamUp

International Coach
I specifically told you blokes to let me know when Harmer was going to be on TV. So dire. :p
:happy: My bad PEWS. Just didn't think there was international coverage but then found out yesterday that it is on Ten Sports in Asia so there probably would be some rivers around.

They've changed the fixtures above. Split games so there is a game this Thursday etc but the Warriors play the Knights tomorrow so maybe get to see a bit of him then.

Unomaas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Any Saffers catch the Ram Slam triple header on Sunday ?

A few things caught my attention.

1.) Kyle Abbott's intensity and accuracy was saying I want to play test cricket for SA even in a T20.
2.) New kid on the block Edward Moore of the Warriors looked some talent. His square drives, pull shot and lofted straight drives on debut with wickets falling at the other end was damn impressive. Would like to see more of him but I'm quite excited tbh.
3.) How much have you got to love Simon Harmer on the mic going through every ball and his thought processes and then he executes it. Good head on his shoulders.
4.) Lions need to get rid of the turd Gulam Bodi.
5.) Reeza Hendricks lofted drives for 6 over cover. Yes please !
6.) Not much more to be said of Beuran Hendricks. Left-arm, quality action, swings it and can get quicker. 4 overs 6-29.
I wasn't at Newlands but I was watching on the tele. This summer season I'm more interested in watching with a critical eye trying to evaluate the future prospects for the Saffa team.

1. Kyle was awsome! Made some of the protea's look stupid :happy:
2. Agreed!
3. With the off season hype about Harmer, I was particularly interested to see him in action! I'm really hopeful that he can evolve and be the spinner we so desperately want!
4. Bodi has been dismal. I think his value to the team comes form his experience and his exploits in the Lions team where his contributions in the 2012 season and CLT2012 lead them to the finals. I think however it is time to put him out to pasture!
5. Reeza Hendricks you beauty! But also surpising! Guy is a bit on the short and frail side :unsure:. Hoping that him and Rilee will have a great season this year. They could be our future top 3 together with QdK.
6. I've got a man-crush on Beuran Hendricks :wub:! I would so desperately like to see him as part of a 4 man pace attack with Steyn, Vern and Morkel. A left arm seamer bowling 140+ km/h...a saffa pace attack to inspire fear and anxiety!

Rasimione

U19 Captain
For me Harmer and Beuran Hendricks will play test cricket sooner rather than later. Harmer IMO has done enough to get a gig. So Abbot impressed? Vern like Accuraccy?

Unomaas

So Abbot impressed? Vern like Accuraccy?
To early to tell. Will need to watch some more. What did impress though was his intensity and aggression! He had that nice guy aura around him before. Seem's like he is developing a mean streak!

SeamUp

International Coach
To early to tell. Will need to watch some more. What did impress though was his intensity and aggression! He had that nice guy aura around him before. Seem's like he is developing a mean streak!
Lance Klusener factor. Last season his bouncer in particular was made to count when playing for the Dolphins.

I wasn't at Newlands but I was watching on the tele. This summer season I'm more interested in watching with a critical eye trying to evaluate the future prospects for the Saffa team.

1. Kyle was awsome! Made some of the protea's look stupid :happy:
2. Agreed!
3. With the off season hype about Harmer, I was particularly interested to see him in action! I'm really hopeful that he can evolve and be the spinner we so desperately want!
4. Bodi has been dismal. I think his value to the team comes form his experience and his exploits in the Lions team where his contributions in the 2012 season and CLT2012 lead them to the finals. I think however it is time to put him out to pasture!
5. Reeza Hendricks you beauty! But also surpising! Guy is a bit on the short and frail side :unsure:. Hoping that him and Rilee will have a great season this year. They could be our future top 3 together with QdK.
6. I've got a man-crush on Beuran Hendricks :wub:! I would so desperately like to see him as part of a 4 man pace attack with Steyn, Vern and Morkel. A left arm seamer bowling 140+ km/h...a saffa pace attack to inspire fear and anxiety!
Would rather see Symes (must be injured) or Bavuma play than Bodi. He just can't bat anymore and his fielding leaves much to be desired. Ran Aviro out and just reminds me of a panicky Owais Shah type now. Spot is definitely wasted.

For me Harmer and Beuran Hendricks will play test cricket sooner rather than later. Harmer IMO has done enough to get a gig. So Abbot impressed? Vern like Accuraccy?
Think we're all agreeing on that now. Just depends on the when. For example how long does Kleinveldt stay in the queue.

On Abbott, he was just charging in, and he was hitting his area with intensity relentlessly. Good to watch.

Unomaas

SeamUp said:
Think we're all agreeing on that now. Just depends on the when. For example how long does Kleinveldt stay in the queue.
I don't think he can justify his place in the queue. If you look at his performances in the Sunfoil series and other competitions, his stats look downright awful.

Unomaas

Watching the Warrior's vs Cobra's match yesterday made me really question the Warrior's batting approach. Davy Jacob's, one of the best batters in the team coming in at 6, smashing the ball to every part of the park and the Warriors falling 18 runs short. It was painful watching the Warriors top order trying to play baseball style slogging instead of just trying to play proper cricket shots, taking the innings deep and then sending in their power hitters to finish the job.

Davy Jacobs would be better suited to stepping in at 3. If Ashwell Prince is gonna play, he should rather open. Parnell needs to step in higher up the order because he has real batting skills and Harmer should maybe be groomed as a potential power hitter who can come in nearer to the close of the innings and play power hitting cameo's.

From the Cobra's side, JP's batting looks painful and just seems like he his just grinding out innings. He doesn't look confident. His bowling however is looking more impressive and he is adding variations to his repertoire. Stiaan van Zyl seems like he is out to prove a point but while the returning Protea's are keeping him out of the franchise team, its also good for him because its going to force him to up his game and outperform them. That's good for the national team as it add's another talent into the Protea's pool. Justin Kemp's bowling also continues to impress? Beuran Hendricks continues to perform and impress. At the rate he's going, he's going to get a Protea's call up this year still. The Cobra's look like the team to beat this year as they have an incredible roster of players.

The atmosphere was rocking at St George's yesterday and in my estimation, still remain's the premier ground in SA to watch cricket at simply for the band. How I wish we could steal that band and relocate them to Newlands :(

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Watching the Warrior's vs Cobra's match yesterday made me really question the Warrior's batting approach. Davy Jacob's, one of the best batters in the team coming in at 6, smashing the ball to every part of the park and the Warriors falling 18 runs short. It was painful watching the Warriors top order trying to play baseball style slogging instead of just trying to play proper cricket shots, taking the innings deep and then sending in their power hitters to finish the job.

Davy Jacobs would be better suited to stepping in at 3. If Ashwell Prince is gonna play, he should rather open. Parnell needs to step in higher up the order because he has real batting skills and Harmer should maybe be groomed as a potential power hitter who can come in nearer to the close of the innings and play power hitting cameo's.

From the Cobra's side, JP's batting looks painful and just seems like he his just grinding out innings. He doesn't look confident. His bowling however is looking more impressive and he is adding variations to his repertoire. Stiaan van Zyl seems like he is out to prove a point but while the returning Protea's are keeping him out of the franchise team, its also good for him because its going to force him to up his game and outperform them. That's good for the national team as it add's another talent into the Protea's pool. Justin Kemp's bowling also continues to impress? Beuran Hendricks continues to perform and impress. At the rate he's going, he's going to get a Protea's call up this year still. The Cobra's look like the team to beat this year as they have an incredible roster of players.

The atmosphere was rocking at St George's yesterday and in my estimation, still remain's the premier ground in SA to watch cricket at simply for the band. How I wish we could steal that band and relocate them to Newlands :(
Parnell has good batting skills. He could do a job at 6/7 for the warriors i feel.

Unomaas

When the Team sheet for the Lion's game was announced, the first thing I noticed was Thami recorded as the captain. That was a shock because they are such a settled unit and everyone knows their job. I don't have a problem with Thami leading the team because Thami was/is the VC and lead the team while Alviro was doing national duty but something is definitely wrong in that team. From the heights of 2 years ago when they made the final of the CLT20 to finishing last in the Momentum ODI cup?

I don't want to make judgments because their is a scarcity of facts doing the rounds. I'm rather going to adopt a wait and see policy before joining the band-wagon of condemnation.

Unomaas

Reeza Hendricks and Rilee Russouw produced the second 100 run partnership of the season when they beat the Lion's. Reeza is looking like the elegant stroke maker ala Hashim Amla style while Rilee looks like the savage aggressor. During both partnerships, they didn't look like getting out.

Do you think these 2 are ready for national duty? Personally, I would like to see Reeza, Rilee, Quentin and Hashim (and maybe Stiaan) competing for the top 3 positions in the T20 setup with ABdV coming in at 4, Faf at 5 and Miller in 6.

Am I doing wishful thinking or is this in the realm of realistic thinking?

Unomaas

As expected, more information becomes available: South Africa news : Petersen to meet Lions CEO over resignation issue

I expect that after the Thursday meeting, there will be more information and an update as to whether things will return to normal.

Just a note on the decision to appoint Tsolekile. When choosing a captain for a franchise, one big component of the choice is loyalty to the club. Of the current players, Alviro Peterson, Neil McKenzie, Thami Tsolekile and Jean Symes have publicly declared their loyalty to the club forsaking all others. Neil is a little bit long in the tooth and Jean is being groomed. Thami is the best candidate because of his standing in the club (even though his T20 record is bad) but the thinking now is to have strong leadership so that this situation does not get out of hand and things can stabilize as soon as possible.

Before someone bombards me with the "quota's debate", they have Phangiso to fill their quota slot so their is no need to play Tsolekile if they didn't want to.

They do however have to realize that Tsolekile is not top 6 material, Bodi should be dropped, Symes must play at six and they should continue to back their young talent even if it means sucking for a little bit!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
James Louw is playing Tasmania grade,moving to Australia to qualify for Australia?
He'll be nearly 39 by the time that happens and he's a fast bowler so I sincerely doubt it. Moving to Australia for personal reasons I dare say; wouldn't be surprised to see him show up in the Tassie side though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well there's been a James Louw in the Tassie grade setup for a while, but he never played First Class cricket in South Africa. There's a Johann Louw, but well that's different.

If they wrote an article about it then they're probably confused; if they merely listed a James Louw on the scorecard then you're confused. :p

Last edited: