• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** South African Domestic Season 2013/14

91Jmay

International Coach
Logically transforming the grass roots of SA sport to include black Africans is the best thing for the country. Will get much bigger pool of players to pick from.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Logically transforming the grass roots of SA sport to include black Africans is the best thing for the country. Will get much bigger pool of players to pick from.
How does banning CSA from having international events achieve this?

Marius

International Debutant
Football met their targets but still got slapped for not doing enough in introducing football into the former model c afrikaans skools.

And Jip definitely an election strategy. Trying to shift focus from nkandla,ect...
If there's demand for a sport people will play it.

Afrikaners - in general - don't like playing football. But some places do play it, like Grey College etc.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The problem is not the transformation policy itself... its the implementation thereof. It helps nothing to demand more players of colour in the national side, when government does not help fund schools and club level sports correctly. They can`t even get the basics of textbooks in schools right. But they use this sort of headline to make political statements rather than sorting out the root problems first.

Marius

International Debutant
The problem is not the transformation policy itself... its the implementation thereof. It helps nothing to demand more players of colour in the national side, when government does not help fund schools and club level sports correctly. They can`t even get the basics of textbooks in schools right. But they use this sort of headline to make political statements rather than sorting out the root problems first.
Spot on.

Cricket is also an expensive game, people who are on the breadline don't have money for kit or to pay club fees towards maintaning cricket grounds.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If this was happening in my country I'd be irate at the government

I feel for South African cricket fans

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If they want 60% thats 7 players then.The Yarpies will get smashed.
Not good!

I have no problem with 90% players of colour, I would love to increase the talent pool. Rabada is a perfect example of what could be, but there its just not enough players of colour available yet for a myriad of political and social reasons that needs to be dealt with at lower levels.

Marius

International Debutant
Not good!

I have no problem with 90% players of colour, I would love to increase the talent pool. Rabada is a perfect example of what could be, but there its just not enough players of colour available yet for a myriad of political and social reasons that needs to be dealt with at lower levels.
And Rabada is not even from an underprivileged background. His old man is a doctor and he went to St Stithians. I think transformation imperatives meant he got opportunities he wouldn't have had if he was white (he would have played for SA at some point no matter the colour of his skin).

Ntini is an example of grassroots transformation, while Rabada is a middle class fellow, who has had as many opportunities as white players of the same age.

Stefan9

International Debutant
And Rabada is not even from an underprivileged background. His old man is a doctor and he went to St Stithians. I think transformation imperatives meant he got opportunities he wouldn't have had if he was white (he would have played for SA at some point no matter the colour of his skin).

Ntini is an example of grassroots transformation, while Rabada is a middle class fellow, who has had as many opportunities as white players of the same age.
a Private school is hardly middle class. None of the cricketers can really be classed as middle class as 90% of those who made it to the national team attended private schools.

Marius

International Debutant
a Private school is hardly middle class. None of the cricketers can really be classed as middle class as 90% of those who made it to the national team attended private schools.
My point still stands though. Only on historical grounds can Rabada (and Bavuma for that matter) be considered disadvantaged.

EDIT: Moonda must have been happy with this news. She's after all the one who thinks that there should only be one white in the SA side because we make up less thyan 10% of the population.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, he wood not have had those opportunities in Apartheid SA regardless of his upbringing... but he is not from an underprivileged background himself. He was not even on a scholarship.

I think a lot of the cricketers can be classed as middle class as many of the top sportsman would have been given scholarships as soon as they showed their talents.

But that`s ultimately the point we have some great cricket schools and academies but if the kid from the township never gets to hold a bat or bowl a ball then how does anybody even know if he s going to be any good...

I would love to know what the Indian supporters think of this as they in essence (even if not via the same history) have a similar economic disparity amongst there population. Is there any discussion like this to try fix the problems(if there is one considered)... I say this as very much a non-expert in India, so please take it from an ignorant standpoint.

Marius

International Debutant
I would love to know what the Indian supporters think of this as they in essence (even if not via the same history) have a similar economic disparity amongst there population. Is there any discussion like this to try fix the problems(if there is one considered)... I say this as very much a non-expert in India, so please take it from an ignorant standpoint.
I don't think there is. I actually read an article recently about how most Indian cricketers are from upper-catse backgrounds and Dalits/former Untouchables struggle to make their way as porofessional cricketers, because of the continued prejudice against them.

I'm not sure of the exact demographics but Dalits make up a not insignificant minority.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Did you guys ever findout how black South Africans feel about this decision?
Mixed reaction, many black players (or players of colour) feel that there is still barriers... and that may very well be true, but also some dislike being called quota players (Amla was initially in his career called this, Bavuma is treated this way now by people who don`t know better). So I think it depends on personal experience for them...

Look there is no doubt still a problem across SA in creating equality(in more than just sport) and somethings needs to be done about it, but the question is how this is handled. And is it going to be used by politicians to try garner favour with the general populace or is there going to be a serious considered plan put into place... that`s the real issue.