• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Commentators/Pundits XI

Flametree

International 12th Man
It's amazing that there has been so few very good commentators / comments people on radio or television who were previously very good cricketers, (you almost have to go back to Benaud... I thought Gower was ok for a while, and even Ian Smith when he first came on the scene. But after a while they just seem to get stale or become cliches... Coney I like and in NZ terms he was a bit of a star but he's not quite in the category of cricketer of Chappell, Warne, Gavaskar etc. You have to wonder why the broadcasters bother. I would guess these big names cost a fair bit of money too, far more than some of the non-stars who happen to be good at talking about cricket (eg, Aggers and Marks on TMS, the late CMJ, Tony Cosier, and, er, that might be about it....)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually came in to post that Chappeli should be captain regardless of anything else as well. :laugh:

I don't really mind a complete cheerleader that much but it's the combination of actually taking himself immensely seriously while being so patently and stubbornly illogical in his cricketing perspective that irks me no end with Chappell.
Say what you want about the bloke, but at least he has something resembling a brain and genuinely seems to enjoy and is knowledgeable about cricket. Which is more than what I can say about most of the Channel 9 team.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Oops, and Jim Maxwell of course, when he's not being picked on by streams of gloating English commentators.

benchmark00

Say what you want about the bloke, but at least he has something resembling a brain and genuinely seems to enjoy and is knowledgeable about cricket. Which is more than what I can say about most of the Channel 9 team.
I would say Chappell doesn't even come anywhere close to conveying a love of the game of cricket. He seems bitter and grumpy about the game.

benchmark00

Adam Gilchrist. Now there's a bloke completely free of ego. When he speaks he sounds like he loves the game.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think Michael Atherton is fantastic. He seems to be able to relate to the normal punters but also has experience of playing at the very top level.

morgieb

Dravid and Ganguly ain't bad. Easily the best from the Indians.
There hasn't been enough time for the BCCI to corrupt them :ph34r:

But I can imagine Dravid being a gun commentator. Found Ganguly a dick though.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah good, he's been looking for one of those.

Seriously though, couldn't agree more about Chappell. Takes himself so seriously and likes to think he's some sort of guru. Nah mate you're a ****.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Michael Vaughan's accent is so off-putting I can't bring myself to actually listen to much that he says

The worst ever was Nas when he started - Christ he was awful, but he's got better and better and for me is now up there with Athers

Bob Willis is bloody awful too, when he tries - when he's just his normal curmudgeonly self he's terrific value

Worst pundit by a street though is Dominic Cork - he must really work at it

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
Sorry Lankans, but your commies are the worst (Arnold, Sanath, and Ranjit "BOPARA!" Fernando)

Among Indians, Shastri and Gavaskar by a mile. Sivaramawhatshisname is quickly moving up the ranks though. Bhogle and Sanjay can be quite awful but they're not so in your face about it; I cut harsha slack because he's a presenter and supposed to do play by play more or less. Arun Lal is his own kind of terrible. Dravid and Ganguly are awesome, except when Ganguly protects Sehwag, yuvraj, and Bhajji

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I always like to listen to Farokh Engineer when he does a bit of summarising - he's not got a clue what he's on about, but the sound of his voice reminds me what a wonderful cricketer he was

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I never understand love for Holding. Yeh mon, he has de coooool voice, but I can't get over what a negative wanker he is.