• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Yeah, that's what I surmised was going on. Doesn't seem to affect actual typed commentary, see ball 3.4 below

View attachment 23581

where the bolding of each occurrence of the word 'four' is correct (unless it automatically picked up both and they corrected it manually).

I guess after every ball, the commentator clicks a button with the outcome of the delivery and the software generates "<bowler> to <batsmen>, <outcome>," and then runs the search to bold things as appropriate, then they type the rest and manually put things in bold as the see fit. But is there any reason why they couldn't just make FOUR or OUT or whatever be in bold by default and not need to search for keywords?
Separation of concerns...different teams work on the code for formatting and the code for finding the bowler, batsman, and outcome. And because people are encouraged not to give the outcome any formatting sugar, that should be the responsibility of the formatting code.

In theory a good idea, in practice can lead to mind-numbing errors. Like most engineering paradigms

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Here's a letter by John Trumble to the 1927 Wisden about the preparation of the Melbourne pitch and the problems it poses. It's interesting to see that back then they had the same malaise that affects almost every Australian pitch these days: over preparation, and for the same (money) reasons too.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If I type in Richie Richardson in google the first alternative result is 'Richie Richardson Hat'. Appropriate enough, one feels.

rlp88

Cricket Spectator
Do England Lions matches have first class status? And do county second XI matches have first class status?

Random curiosity.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Made

Standing above the indoor nets here at Sevo watching Burgeinho getting or on one batting tips from Doug Walters. This is actually one of the great moments of my life.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Made

Standing above the indoor nets here at Sevo watching Burgeinho getting or on one batting tips from Doug Walters. This is actually one of the great moments of my life.
I take the young bloke knows who he's conversing with now?