• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cmon guys insale whatever the hell that means

I'd be annoyed too if I got dropped after 246 even if it took 600 balls

Bijed

International Regular
From Wikipedia:

"Also during Insole's time Geoffrey Boycott was dropped, in 1967 after having scored 246 not out. Boycott admitted to still feeling aggrieved about this over 40 years later, while commenting on the third Test between New Zealand and England at Napier on 24 March 2008 and again during the Test Match Special commentary of England against the West Indies at Edgbaston on 7 June 2012, where he said that Insole "should have spelt his name with an A!"
Ansole? Ainsole? Insola?
Ansole sounds like asshole, maybe?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why is it impossible to watch full coverage of old matches anywhere? I understand the footage is copyrighted by the broadcasters but it's not like they are showing old matches anyway so what do they have to gain by blocking people from uploading/downloading full coverage of old games?

For example if someone really wants to watch a whole ODI from 10 or 20 years ago they basically can't. The footage is just gone.

What is the deal with that?
AFL have had "name a game" for a while now where you can buy individual AFL games on DVD.

I would definitely buy box sets of some ODI/test series if they were available. Love chilling out watching old cricket on the Cricket in the 50s/60s/70s DVDs. Plenty of series thru the 80s/90s/00s that I'd buy.

Guessing it's somewhat difficult because cricket games are so long, and they have to fit on DVD.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
9/11 - Are you the Indian team's Unofficial Beard Trimmer?

A little embarrassed by that result TBH

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From all your Hardik jokes, you should be glad they didn't suggest something else and left it at Beard Trimmer. :p

Last edited:

Bijed

International Regular
Don't recall this happening on the old cricinfo, but it looks like the code that makes certain words bold, like FOUR, in the commentary, also grabs part of players' names

sOUThee.png

Lets see how many different examples of this we can find

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Don't recall this happening on the old cricinfo, but it looks like the code that makes certain words bold, like FOUR, in the commentary, also grabs part of players' names

View attachment 23579

Lets see how many different examples of this we can find
It's grabbing the 'out' in Southee. I think it's poor coding running a basic Ctrl-F to highlight instances of all pre-defined trigger events when any one of the trigger events occurs.

Bijed

International Regular
It's grabbing the 'out' in Southee. I think it's poor coding running a basic Ctrl-F to highlight instances of all pre-defined trigger events when any one of the trigger events occurs.
Yeah, that's what I surmised was going on. Doesn't seem to affect actual typed commentary, see ball 3.4 below

four.png

where the bolding of each occurrence of the word 'four' is correct (unless it automatically picked up both and they corrected it manually).

I guess after every ball, the commentator clicks a button with the outcome of the delivery and the software generates "<bowler> to <batsmen>, <outcome>," and then runs the search to bold things as appropriate, then they type the rest and manually put things in bold as the see fit. But is there any reason why they couldn't just make FOUR or OUT or whatever be in bold by default and not need to search for keywords?