• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is it impossible to watch full coverage of old matches anywhere? I understand the footage is copyrighted by the broadcasters but it's not like they are showing old matches anyway so what do they have to gain by blocking people from uploading/downloading full coverage of old games?

For example if someone really wants to watch a whole ODI from 10 or 20 years ago they basically can't. The footage is just gone.

What is the deal with that?

Burgey

Why is it impossible to watch full coverage of old matches anywhere? I understand the footage is copyrighted by the broadcasters but it's not like they are showing old matches anyway so what do they have to gain by blocking people from uploading/downloading full coverage of old games?

For example if someone really wants to watch a whole ODI from 10 or 20 years ago they basically can't. The footage is just gone.

What is the deal with that?
A very good question. There's really no valid reason you can't access that old stuff on the web aside from the networks being ****s about it.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I ranted about this on one of the earlier podcasts, about one of the reasons cricket is so hard to follow is because you cannot find any legal, high quality footage of complete games online. If you can't actually watch the cricket after it happened, how do you even begin to go about analyzing it and understanding it? Highlights can only tell you so much.

It really sucks.

vcs

FMD wasn't he a disappointment out here last summer? Was hoping he'd deliver a lot more than he did.
Hasn't really worked out his game in the longest format. Should get there eventually, though.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
AB being discussed again on Sky by Mr Gower and Mr Warne. Apparently he played baseball very well whilst playing cricket...is there nothing this man couldn't do ...!! :D :cool:

Daemon

Tbf that's a fairly raw and inexperienced A Side. I've seen most of those kids play, and I use the word 'Kids' for a reason

Where are the players fod the SEA XI from?
Most of them are kids as well, the older experienced guys aren't playing. Not an A side but far from full strength too.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Doug Insole has passed away aged 91. When I was growing up he seemed to be mentioned aplenty but I was never really sure who or what he was.
RIP.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Doug Insole has passed away aged 91. When I was growing up he seemed to be mentioned aplenty but I was never really sure who or what he was.
RIP.
He didn't get many favours from the England selectors in the 50s - his 4 home Tests were in 4 different years - did a lot better when picked for a whole series (1956-7 in South Africa). He apparently tried not to be so unforgiving when he was chairman of selectors in the 60s.

_Ed_

From Wikipedia:
Also during Insole's time Geoffrey Boycott was dropped, in 1967 after having scored 246 not out. Boycott admitted to still feeling aggrieved about this over 40 years later, while commenting on the third Test between New Zealand and England at Napier on 24 March 2008 and again during the Test Match Special commentary of England against the West Indies at Edgbaston on 7 June 2012, where he said that Insole "should have spelt his name with an A!"