• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
These a special on him next week. On a whole other level.

In more important news, Burgeinho retired with 60(64) on debut in England. Goes better away than Warner ffs.
Yeah, couldn't crack the top 100, could he? :p

I am sure Burgeinho is well on his way to better the old man's records.. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Growing up in the '90s, the most popular cricketing idols in my peer group were Sachin, Lara and Warne. So I can see where people are coming from when they talk about him making spin bowling ***y again.

Of course Kumble, Mushy. Saqlain etc. were great but those three captured the imagination.

Come on vcs, even in the 1996 WC, there was Paul Strang, Mushy, Kumble and Warne. Sportstar even did a special on all the leggies going around. Warne got a lot of press, sure and the blonde look helped but the whole "he revived leg spin, he made it ***y" is just utter tripe and you know it.

EDIT: And most regular posters here know what a big fanboy of Warne, the spinner, I am. Still remains the overseas cricketer who was easiest to talk to in my experience. He has his flaws, but you go ask him about legspin, you will get some absolute gold. And there is no way is Murali that much behind him, in any which way you wanna dice their careers.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne didn't revive legspin because since he arrived and left there's been **** all in that department.

T20s revived legspin.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
mr mr is obviously very much in the "what happens in Australia is world cricket" bracket. :p

But even if we were to assume this entirely false premise to be true, then the true person who revived legspin is the man who mesmerized all viewers with lovely wonderful legspin back in glorious ol' Australia, right? I am talking about the man who would have inspired Warne to try leg spin, a man whom Warne would have seen weave his magic over batsmen of all international teams, make them look stupid, foolish and hopeless all at the same time. So the real person who "revived" the art of legspin by inspiring Warne and a generation of Aussies towards it should be........

vcs

mr mr is obviously very much in the "what happens in Australia is world cricket" bracket. :p

But even if we were to assume this entirely false premise to be true, then the true person who revived legspin is the man who mesmerized all viewers with lovely wonderful legspin back in glorious ol' Australia, right? I am talking about the man who would have inspired Warne to try leg spin, a man whom Warne would have seen weave his magic over batsmen of all international teams, make them look stupid, foolish and hopeless all at the same time. So the real person who "revived" the art of legspin by inspiring Warne and a generation of Aussies towards it should be........

He can't be weighing more than 50 kilos there.

vcs

Come on vcs, even in the 1996 WC, there was Paul Strang, Mushy, Kumble and Warne. Sportstar even did a special on all the leggies going around. Warne got a lot of press, sure and the blonde look helped but the whole "he revived leg spin, he made it ***y" is just utter tripe and you know it.

EDIT: And most regular posters here know what a big fanboy of Warne, the spinner, I am. Still remains the overseas cricketer who was easiest to talk to in my experience. He has his flaws, but you go ask him about legspin, you will get some absolute gold. And there is no way is Murali that much behind him, in any which way you wanna dice their careers.
Oh I'm not suggesting Murali's career was any way inferior to his.

Just that those three had the "superstar" status going for them, apart from being great cricketers. Like Kohli in this generation.

Of course, this is kinda subjective. Like, for example, Djokovic was incredibly dominant recently but he didn't get the universal adulation of Federer/Nadal IMO. Not a comment on quality, just the fan following.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He can't be weighing more than 50 kilos there.

I can imagine now, game on on a windy day at Perth and LS is bowling with the wind. Batsmen are honestly concerned he is gonna fly through the wind and come at them and end up missing the ball :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Oh I'm not suggesting Murali's career was any way inferior to his.

Just that those three had the "superstar" status going for them, apart from being great cricketers. Like Kohli in this generation.

Of course, this is kinda subjective. Like, for example, Djokovic was incredibly dominant recently but he didn't get the universal adulation of Federer/Nadal IMO. Not a comment on quality, just the fan following.

I get what you meant and I agree on the superstar status. I am just pointing out that the "superstar" status is a media coverage based thing and does not mean someone "revived" something. I mean, it makes just as much sense to say Lara revived left hand middle order batting or that Sachin revived ODI opening batting. Every generation has superstars. And FWIW, in India and Pakistan (and UAE :p), Qadir was very much a superstar in his day.

TheJediBrah

Anyone seen that video floating around facebook of the guy in slip who dropped a sitter than took a screamer next ball? Amazing video.

I would link it but don't want to log into FB at work

How could we forget this superstar

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
According to honestb if you bowled leg spin you were part of the revival. Didn't actually have to be any good

cnerd123

likes this
According to honestb if you bowled leg spin you were part of the revival. Didn't actually have to be any good
small difference between that and Qadir, Mushy and Kumble tho

Especially since us desi kids grew up watching India vs Pakistan as the pinnacle of cricket. I've played cricket with several people my age who talk about Qadir as their legspinner role models. Not one. Several.

It's quite ethnocentric to give Warne all the credit.

TheJediBrah

I can't speak for other countries, but the pure number of kids around Australia who decided to be leg-spinners purely because of Warney was huge, and it probably had just as much to do with his personality as his skill.

Warne is larger than life in a way not many other cricketers could live up to.

small difference between that and Qadir, Mushy and Kumble tho

Especially since us desi kids grew up watching India vs Pakistan as the pinnacle of cricket. I've played cricket with several people my age who talk about Qadir as their legspinner role models. Not one. Several.

It's quite ethnocentric to give Warne all the credit.
Why are we even talking about different countries though? Of course they're going to have different role models. Not many people in Australia really cared about Tendulkar that much (except for kids with Indian-heritage) but that doesn't mean he wasn't influential around the world.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
IWhy are we even talking about different countries though? Of course they're going to have different role models. Not many people in Australia really cared about Tendulkar that much (except for kids with Indian-heritage) but that doesn't mean he wasn't influential around the world.
because the journalist is crediting Warne with the revival of legspin as a whole, and in doing so ignoring that cricket isn't only played in countries called England and Australia.

Very disrespectful is our point.

OverratedSanity

There've been dozens of off spinners with dodgy looking actions bowling the doosra post Saqlain/Murali. They revived the lost art of off spin imo.

TheJediBrah

because the journalist is crediting Warne with the revival of legspin as a whole, and in doing so ignoring that cricket isn't only played in countries called England and Australia.

Very disrespectful is our point.
yeah but most of us don't really care about that cricket