• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

indiaholic

International Captain
It really isn't.. my parents are in their 60s and use it easily after I installed it on their computer with dual-boot. They switched to it out of their own free will after using it for a few days.
Shri is an arts student :p

Buying a new laptop for mom and dad next week. Is ubuntu a good idea for them? Is there a learning curve and will it reduce the need for maintenance from me?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Buying a new laptop for mom and dad next week. Is ubuntu a good idea for them? Is there a learning curve and will it reduce the need for maintenance from me?
There's no problem unless they are extensive users of MS Office, which OpenOffice doesn't come close to replacing. As long as it's just email/net surfing etc., it's easy enough.

Definitely will reduce the maintenance. No antivirus issues. Also, Linux tends to behave quite stable over time compared to a Windows installation, which picks up entropy.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
TBF, I hae had a lappi for 7 years now with Windows 7 and now 10 and I have not had a single issue with it. Except for the battery getting heated up too much with all the usage, everything is great. And from my experience, it is more difficult for elder users to switch OS. So depends on how comfortable your parents were wtih Windows really. FWIW, I think any new laptop with Windows 10 works just great as long as you can get in a decent anti-virus thrown in for free. Norton has been good for mine.

vcs

Yeah I also like Windows 10 TBF. It's not too much of an issue either way if you use the machine sensibly.

vcs

I had to endure a crash + format when Microsoft released that piece of **** Vista which put me off Windows forever. Windows 10 seems to be pretty good.

indiaholic

International Captain
The issue with parents is they don't have an in built spam filter.. They will click on random ads and install software that bundles a ton of bloatware along with it.. But yeah i have had zero issues with windows 7 or 10. The Office thing is likely to be a sticking point.. Mom does use excel quite a bit.. Will show her the libre office variant and see if she is fine with it.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread = Windows versus Ubuntu ?

PS: Win 10 is great as long as you don`t mind the big brother watching and telling you what to do stuff.... not for Libertarians

indiaholic

International Captain
Or just buy a laptop that comes with free anti virus. :)
For an instance of the kind of **** that happens.. The flash player needed an update and they did not uncheck the option of installing McAfee.. Ended up with two anti viruses with them disabling the eset one i installed and running the trial version for McAfee

Shri

Mr. Glass
The issue with parents is they don't have an in built spam filter.. They will click on random ads and install software that bundles a ton of bloatware along with it.. But yeah i have had zero issues with windows 7 or 10. The Office thing is likely to be a sticking point.. Mom does use excel quite a bit.. Will show her the libre office variant and see if she is fine with it.
Oh man, try getting them a smart phone. They play games and click on every ad and install every ****ing malware in the world. I stopped trying to fix their phones and just say that they broke it these days.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thankfully my parents still read newspapers and magazines and watch TV to pass their free time. :) They just use the phone for calls and stuff. :D

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Get them Windows 10 + AdBlock + Windscribe (with the Chrome extension).

Nearest you can get to no spam (and resulting downloads).

Edit: Plus Pop up blocker for Chrome if you must

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

For older people I'd be recommending a Chromebook (or installing Chromium if they've got a working-ish laptop they want you to re-purpose) if they don't use Office much, and Windows 10 if they do.

Linux based systems (except for Chromium which is obviously a bit different) are ultimately too fiddly for people who just want to learn a few specific tasks.

Last edited:

vcs

Oh man, try getting them a smart phone. They play games and click on every ad and install every ****ing malware in the world. I stopped trying to fix their phones and just say that they broke it these days.
I once had to setup Google ChromeCast for my Uncle. Complete nightmare and had no clue what I was doing.

Pisses me off when people expect you to be good at **** like this just because you studied Computer Engineering FFS. :p

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I once had to setup Google ChromeCast for my Uncle. Complete nightmare and had no clue what I was doing.

Pisses me off when people expect you to be good at **** like this just because you studied Computer Engineering FFS. :p

Yeah.. Everyone knows anyone who has studied Computer Engineering should not know anything, tbh. :p