• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Shri

Mr. Glass
For all the talk of the fearsome West Indian fast bowlers, the best bowling figures in an innings for WI are held by a guy called Jack Noreiga - an off spinner. Eat your heart out Burgey.

Bijed

International Regular
[h=2]Gayle's 10,000: great or not?[/h]
Is there really an argument that 10,000 T20 runs isn't a great achievement? If he's as far ahead of 2nd place as the video says, that's pretty impressive and all T20 players have played in the same era, so the playing field's about as level as you're going to get for this type of thing.

Also not convinced by the quoting of his poor stats against a handful of bowlers, his overall stats are an average of 41.30 and of SR 149.95 and he's performed against good bowling. I mean, I'm not a massive fan of the guy but I don't see how his achievements here can be talked down, really.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Gayle's 10,000: great or not?

Is there really an argument that 10,000 T20 runs isn't a great achievement? If he's as far ahead of 2nd place as the video says, that's pretty impressive and all T20 players have played in the same era, so the playing field's about as level as you're going to get for this type of thing.

Also not convinced by the quoting of his poor stats against a handful of bowlers, his overall stats are an average of 41.30 and of SR 149.95 and he's performed against good bowling. I mean, I'm not a massive fan of the guy but I don't see how his achievements here can be talked down, really.
Not convinced of that tbh. I'm not knocking Gayles T20 achievements, he's no doubt a great (if not the greatest) of the format. But it's not a level playing field when he plays the shortest format exclusively........that has to be a huge advantage in his stats and performance over someone like Kohli who plays all 3 forms. All of Gayles practise and time is dedicated to T20.......who knows how good Kohli and ABDV might be if they didn't have to worry about the "other" stuff.

Bijed

International Regular
Not convinced of that tbh. I'm not knocking Gayles T20 achievements, he's no doubt a great (if not the greatest) of the format. But it's not a level playing field when he plays the shortest format exclusively........that has to be a huge advantage in his stats and performance over someone like Kohli who plays all 3 forms. All of Gayles practise and time is dedicated to T20.......who knows how good Kohli and ABDV might be if they didn't have to worry about the "other" stuff.
Good point, hadn't really considered that, but he did play 103 Tests from 2000-2014 and 269 ODIs from 1999-2015, so I'd argue it's only really recently that he's been able to dedicate all his time to the format. Unfortunately I can't get statsguru to give me data for all T20s to check if his stats have seen a notable upturn in the last couple of years, though. Might do it manually.

Edit: Never realised you can apply basic filters to the graphs at the bottom of players' cricinfo profiles, that sped things up a bit. You can only split by year, not at a specific date, so I've done his stats pre- and post- 2015 since I cbf to manually include/exclude matches to get a picture before/after the exact dates he finished in the other formats.

Anyway:

Overall
2015-PresentPre-2015
Matches
Innings27485189
Runs978929816808
Strike Rate149.95160.18145.87
Average41.3040.8341.51
High Score
175*151*175*
Centuries18513
Fifties601743
MotM451332
MotS312
4s749214535
6s

So I'll concede that he's been doing a bit better (SR up, all else equal or roughly in line with the amount of matches played in each period) since he stopped playing tests.

Also, I'll apologise to Adders since I know he doesn't like it when I do stats ;)

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Of course he's the greatest. I know Kohli had that WC and that IPL, but it's not enough just yet.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This shouldn't really matter imo. Gayle also has the disadvantage of being old as **** :p

Could easily argue a chunk of Gayle's prime came before t20s were a thing. Between 2003-06 he was gunning it in tests and ODIs but missed out on t20s.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
India have won second T20 World Cup for Blind. They have both the T20 world cups so far.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Although his SR is at the upper end of the scale for those on that list which, since his average is still good, I would argue makes him better than a lot of the others higher than him on the list.
But it's not as clear cut as I had admittedly assumed.