• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm getting older so it could be my eyes, or it could be watching cricket in HD after years of LD, but I have noticed a few shots where the ball seems to curve off the bat. For instance, one of the Aussies just then pulled the ball square, but it curved a bit and went slightly behind square in the end. Or was that just an optical illusion? Can hitting the ball cause it to have a lot of spin so it gets drift and spin and swing and ****?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, happens a fair bit. Remember listening to Dean Jones speak (a lot about himself, of course) but said that when hitting towards the leg side off a spinner, he'd actually aim it at the fielder because the ball should swing away from them.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a lot of spin can get imparted to the ball off the bat. You may not have noticed the "swing" before but Im sure you would have seen plenty of fielders looking like muppets when they missjudge the bounce and the ball turns away from them. Same thing.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Funnily enough I was reading about that in an old cricket book ("Cricket North & South" by TCF Prittie) only the other day:

"Every position in the field demands special as well as general qualities. Having kept wicket for most of schooldays, I learnt the truth of this when I went up to Oxford... I dropped one or two catches [in the slips] and transferred to deep third-man.

I spent one terrible afternoon there. Although I had watched plenty of cricket, I had no idea of the tremendous curve of the ball from right to left when it finally arrives down at deep third-man. Frequently I failed to get a hand to it at all.

I went to mid-wicket, and was alarmed to find that the ball, although generally coming straight, now occasionally curved the opposite way, from left to right. I returned, thank goodness, to the slips and comparative sanity."

indiaholic

International Captain
Mohammad Sami has played 36 tests but he did that under 7 different captains. Is this some sort of a record?

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
George Headley had 9 captains (including himself) in 22 Tests. (That includes a series where the WI had a different captain for each Tests due to inter-island rivalries).

Shady Slim

International Coach
real talk a high catch comes your way and it's straight to you and you're perfectly set under it do you go cup or reverse cup

there is a right answer here

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah defs. You're forced to watch it all the way into your hands, also gives you time to catch the rebound should there be one.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I have never dropped a skier but I didn't have anyone teach me how to catch. I have been missing keys thrown at me gently recently and haven't played in years so I don't know.