• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Midwinter

State Captain
Slippy's latest thread got be looking at Sobers' Cricinfo profile, which contains the following 'In a nutshell' information:

"While Bradman's status as the greatest batsman is increasingly under threat, no one raises an eyebrow at Garry Sobers being called the greatest allrounder. He broke the record for the highest Test score - 365 - at 21, could bowl left-arm orthodox, wrist spin and fast-medium, and was a brilliant fielder anywhere on the ground. He was also the first player to hit six sixes in an over in a first-class game "

I was surprised to read the bold section - admittedly I don't know when it was written, but does anyone have an idea who it's referring to or is it just hyperbole? The only person that I can think it would possibly refer to would be Voges, and even then it would make it a fairly tongue-in-cheek statement.

Is it because Bradman doesn't have many followers on twitter/instagram etc ?

:)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slippy's latest thread got be looking at Sobers' Cricinfo profile, which contains the following 'In a nutshell' information:

"While Bradman's status as the greatest batsman is increasingly under threat, no one raises an eyebrow at Garry Sobers being called the greatest allrounder. He broke the record for the highest Test score - 365 - at 21, could bowl left-arm orthodox, wrist spin and fast-medium, and was a brilliant fielder anywhere on the ground. He was also the first player to hit six sixes in an over in a first-class game "

I was surprised to read the bold section - admittedly I don't know when it was written, but does anyone have an idea who it's referring to or is it just hyperbole? The only person that I can think it would possibly refer to would be Voges, and even then it would make it a fairly tongue-in-cheek statement.
Seeing as it's Cricinfo my money is either on Kohli or Ravi Bopara.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
These points are calculated by an appraisal formula that compares the player's performance over the last 12 months to his overall career figures.
That doesn't sound right to me

vcs

I guess you could say it rewards improvement in young players. It'd be weird if a player averaging 20 at the start of a career got a better deal because he averaged 35 one year, compared to another guy who dipped to 40 one year, after averaging 50 for most of his career.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah any which way he spins it, its obvious the **** Cameron is just using his way to get more money for himself and his lackeys as usual.

indiaholic

International Captain
Here is the West Indian players' guide to an A grade contract: Average 0 in the first year. Average 1 in the second. BOOM!!! Infinite percent improvement over career average, bitch.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Fantastic. That's my favourite batsman to watch gone. No doubt he'll give up and get a nice kokpak contract or something.

They want boards to pay them 20% compensation for losing talent to t20 leagues and yet they screw over the guy who had shown more commitment to tests than anyone else.

Bravo's tweet in response was Ill advised but I don't really blame him. All these players and coaches come and go for various reasons but the board stays the same.

It really is time for them to go, they just make things worse and ruin the talent at their disposal.

TheJediBrah

Lol whoever wrote that is an absolute **** for brains

Victor Ian

International Coach
Does DRS need high def video? I'm curious as to whether they could apply it to all those 'horrid' decisions of the past so we could all 'know' and go to bed. I think that would be a brilliant lunch time show for the cricket.

Daemon

Does DRS need high def video? I'm curious as to whether they could apply it to all those 'horrid' decisions of the past so we could all 'know' and go to bed. I think that would be a brilliant lunch time show for the cricket.
Nah it needs a whole bunch of camera angles

Victor Ian

International Coach
an interesting table provided by Furball

I actually think in terms of batting, Australia's biggest problem is their home conditions. They're just so vastly different to conditions you'll get virtually anywhere else in the world, with the exception of the odd South African deck. Now I'm not saying that Australian curators should be looking to replicate Manchester or Mumbai in terms of ground conditions - I've said before that I'm all for a variety of conditions around the world that truly tests your game - but Australia is so unique that it actually might hinder them as a team. That Australia is so hard for opposition teams to adapt to is what gives Australia their formidable home record, but I think it's also bred a couple of generations of batsmen who are great at home but struggle to adapt their game abroad. We've all made jokes about subcontinental batsmen ****ting themselves when the ball bounces above the knee, but Australia's batsmen do exactly the same when the ball moves off the straight.

This isn't just a new phenomenon either; this goes back at least 20 years. Since 1995, there are precisely 2 Australian batsmen who have averaged more than 50 in Test played outside Australia - Steve Waugh (57.18) and Steve Smith (53.38). Both of those require asterisks - Smith is only part of the way through his career, so may not average 50 by the time he calls it a day, and Waugh's figure excludes the first decade of his career where he was famously a bit ****. No other Australian bat averages 50. The away averages amongst Australia's modern greats (qualification: minimum 1,000 runs scored) are as follows:

S Waugh 57.18 (53.39)
Smith 53.38 (65.42)
Gilchrist 49.69 (45.87)
Lehmann 49.47 (39.94)
Ponting 46.40 (56.97)
Martyn 46.32 (52.14)
Katich 45.49 (44.23)
Hayden 43.52 (57.88)
Langer 42.05 (49.91)
Hussey 41.37 (61.19)
Rogers 41.33 (44.95)
Taylor 41.12 (40.07)
Clarke 39.49 (62.05)
Warner 38.53 (59.53)
Hughes 37.56 (24.00)
M Waugh 37.55 (44.80)
Watson 31.59 (39.72)
Slater 31.18 (50.82)
Blewett 28.40 (41.18)
Haddin 24.66 (43.83)

Figures in brackets are home averages.

I know you should expect batsmen to perform better in familiar conditions but there's some extreme disparity there. How many of Australia's recent graduates have spemt time in county cricket to learn that there's more to the art of batting than just plonking your foot down and hitting through the line?
Excuse my reveling in my favourite player. Having a look, including Border's time, shows why all Australians should rate him so highly. I'd imagine Furball would not be putting any 'asterisks' upon Borders name.

PlayerHome InnsHome AvgAway InnsAway Avg
SPD Smith3565.424157.63
AR Border14545.9412056.57
SR Waugh14047.5811655.85
AC Gilchrist7545.875850.24
DR Martyn5146.865447.29
RT Ponting15456.9712545.81
SM Katich3644.235945.4
DM Jones4848.664144.08
MA Taylor10043.48643.6
MEK Hussey7661.195742.35
JL Langer9648.658241.73
ML Hayden9857.888241.69
ME Waugh9943.2110641.36
MJ Clarke8662.0510440.78
DC Boon10846.338240.01
DA Warner5159.534836.77
MJ Slater5752.627435.28
KJ Hughes6541.215034.89
GR Marsh5533.343832.97
SR Watson5039.725532.72
GM Wood5029.864631.45
GS Blewett3641.184328.4
BJ Haddin5143.835725.69
IA Healy9229.329025.48

Victor Ian

International Coach
I was watching some old footage and noticed all the bum slaps going on. Can we put a date on when the bum slap came to be replaced by the high five? What was in vogue before the bum slap? I don't recall the really old footage players touching bums.