Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cricket related stuff that doesn't really deserve a thread

Dilshan also retiring - haven't seen this mentioned
    There are two colours in my head

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximas View Post
    Dilshan also retiring - haven't seen this mentioned
    Think it was mentioned in the aging stars of the IPL thread. Definitely deserves better than that.

SL's already having trouble locking in a partner for him, they're pretty ****ed now that he's gone.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Kaushal Silva came in to replace him, but yeah, SL definitely looking for openers.

On Dilshan, it's sad to see him go, he looked kinda weird when he batted, but he had the ability to adapt to situations and he scored centuries fairly regularly in both ODI and test cricket for a time, will be missed.

Said it was so he Kumar and Mahela didn't leave at once. There are always holes to fill when players of that kind of skill leave. If the cricket board prepare some players it should be fine, as they've started with Silva. Hope he starts making some inroads though.
    Current Favourite XI 1. Cook 2. Gayle 3. Sangakarra 4. Clarke* 5. Chanderpaul 6. Al Hasan 7. De Kock+ 8.Johnson 9.Harris 10. Herath 11. Steyn

Chandimal and Thirrimanne are being blooded to try and fill the void that will be let by Sanga and Mahela, guys like Vithinage and Kusal Perera also coming through meaning SL's batting isn't actually looking too bad for the next few years.

It should be noted that we haven't seen the last from Dilshan, he has made himself available for ODIs right up until the WC

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Captain_Cook's Avatar
    I have a minor question similar to the Steyn vs Anderson (Pace vs Swing) debate.

Anderson or Philander, who is the best swing bowler?
    He bowls to the left, he bowls to the right, but when he bowls at the stumps, he makes England look ****e!

My Modern Test XI (since 2000): AN Cook, GC Smith (c), HM Amla, KC Sangakkara (w), MJ Clarke, IR Bell, S Watson, GP Swann, VD Philander, DW Steyn, JM Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    I have a minor question similar to the Steyn vs Anderson (Pace vs Swing) debate.

Anderson or Philander, who is the best swing bowler?
    LOL, we haven't got the numbers to even make a case on this one skipper..............not at this point in time anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Cook View Post
    I have a minor question similar to the Steyn vs Anderson (Pace vs Swing) debate.Anderson or Philander, who is the best swing bowler?
    Admittedly it's been a while since I watched him but I don't think Philander is a swing bowler.
    Agent Nationaux likes this.

Dan
    Global Moderator / Cricket Web Staff Member Dan's Avatar
    A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Betelgeuse
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Admittedly it's been a while since I watched him but I don't think Philander is a swing bowler.
    Yeah, this - Anderson by default because Philander's more a seamer than swing bowler.

Philander definitely gets some movement in the air when conditions suit it but yeah I wouldn't call him a swing bowler either. Anderson controls his swing and bowls legitimately deliberate inswingers and outswingers; Philander moves it both ways in the air too but he achieves that by just keeping the seam bolt upright most of the time which also allows for much greater movement off the deck. Which of the two is a better bowler overall right now is definitely a fair enough debate but Anderson is unquestionable the better swing bowler.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Philander definitely gets some movement in the air when conditions suit it but yeah I wouldn't call him a swing bowler either. Anderson controls his swing and bowls legitimately deliberate inswingers and outswingers; Philander moves it both ways in the air too but he achieves that by just keeping the seam bolt upright most of the time which also allows for much greater movement off the deck. Which of the two is a better bowler overall right now is definitely a fair enough debate but Anderson is unquestionable the better swing bowler.
    Can Philander control his seam movement and know that the ball will either be seaming out or in?
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Vice-Captain Riggins's Avatar
    I suspect he has some idea which way he thinks it will go, if it goes, but not to the same extent someone like jimmy can control which way the ball swings in the air.
    Prince EWS likes this.
    The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

yearp. pews n riggs
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Saw this interesting article that seems to say that the BCCI is slowly becoming like fox news
    Last edited by Maximas; 13-10-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    32 year old former South African first class player dies after being hit by a bouncer. Awful news for all involved. I can't imagine how the bowler must feel.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information