• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Would prefer the plural noun to be fora (benefits of a classical education).

You seem to also have a very loose notion of what an “exchange of ideas” is. Read the bloke’s posts this afternoon, they’re embarrassing and there’s not an idea in them. Just random, unbidden insults. If I was a like-minded sensitive blancmange I’d have reported them, or even sent an email to his employer as is his wont.

You can hear the snap, crackle and pop of brain cells dying across the world as people endure reading those posts. Woeful.
Well, at least he is being direct. You wrap your hatred, biases, etc. in cricket-related comments. He is clearly telling you what he thinks about your post(s), you tend to do the same things in a very indirect way(whether its a comment related to a cricket web poster, cricketer or country).

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, at least he is being direct. You wrap your hatred, biases, etc. in cricket-related comments. He is clearly telling you what he thinks about your post(s), you tend to do the same things in a very indirect way(whether its a comment related to a cricket web poster, cricketer or country).
I don’t think anyone who’s been here longer than five minutes would suggest I’m indirect. Fmd I think that’s the first time in 15 years I’ve been called that on this site.

HB is well aware I can’t stand him. I’ve hardly made a secret of it. To suggest otherwise is an outrageous slur.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I don’t think anyone who’s been here longer than five minutes would suggest I’m indirect. Fmd I think that’s the first time in 15 years I’ve been called that on this site.

HB is well aware I can’t stand him. I’ve hardly made a secret of it. To suggest otherwise is an outrageous slur.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It is possible that Sams' case is simply the first Burgey's heard about
True, if there are others among IPL players then I’m happy to acknowledge them. It’s not a competition I follow closely.
Take back my original post if this is indeed true. But there has been a few who have tested positive and it seemed rather insensitive of you to frame it that way.

Apologies if you really did not know, @Burgey but given your history you cant take offence that I assumed the worst. :)

Burgey

I genuinely didn’t know there had been others who’d tested positive. If I had I would have framed the post differently and said it had claimed its first Australian victim.

I now understand why you took offence to what I thought was a pretty unremarkable post. I just put it down to your usual sensitivity when anyone posts something other than India consisting solely of herds of unicorns farting clouds of incense while jumping over rainbows.

Edit: I should also make it clear I don’t give a **** if you took offence, whatever the reason for you doing so.

Last edited:

Burgey

Karan, The two comments you’ve highlighted prove exactly the opposite of your point

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
HB was just being typically over sensitive and carried on like a pork chop. Standard stuff.

Out of interest, who else has the spicy cough?
:laugh: @ that post.

Axar Patel has it. And Devdutt Padikkal from RCB had it and recovered. Same with Nitish Rana from KKR. A social media team member of CSK has it. Kiran More, one of the million MI coaches and scouts, has it.

What is interesting is that Sams has caught it outside the RCB bubble. And turns out DDP had not joined the team while he was positive too. Wondering where these guys are getting it from? In flight?

Burgey

Could well be. Is there a reason they didn’t do it in the UAE again this year? It seemed to work well last year

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They make lesser money running it in the UAE. And to be fair to the BCCI, when they announced the schedule, the numbers were very much in control. Has taken a turn for the worse since March. Seems the nationwide lockdown ensured a very slow burn first wave and hence we are now into a very delayed second wave.

They may just get the players vaccinated if the Government does open up vaccines to all adults, which seems to be one of the ideas seriously considered right now to ensure this second wave does not become much bigger.

TheJediBrah

If anything the fact this tournament is happening at all during this pandemic in a country so affected by the virus is the ethically questionable aspect. People could literally die because sports. But somehow a comment that (very obliquely) hinted at this issue is the one that is the "insensitive" post. What wormhole have I gone down.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
If anything the fact this tournament is happening at all during this pandemic in a country so affected by the virus is the ethically questionable aspect. People could literally die because sports. But somehow a comment that (very obliquely) hinted at this issue is the one that is the "insensitive" post. What wormhole have I gone down.
No crowds! All business will try to find a way to run no matter what the situation is.

Burgey

But somehow a comment that (very obliquely) hinted at this issue is the one that is the "insensitive" post
Ftr the post I made wasn’t hinting at that at all. I hadn’t heard of anyone connected with the IPL being infected. Like I said, it’s not a tournament I follow at all these days. I did the first couple of years but then there was no coverage here for a few years and by the time it was available here I had a combo of not caring about it and the time zone not being conducive to sleep.

I only heard about Sams when the story popped up on a news website (or might even have been the CA site) this arvo.

Last edited:

Shady Slim

International Coach
No crowds! All business will try to find a way to run no matter what the situation is.
yeah this is true, but it doesn't make it not morally oblique to say the least right?

the nfl was able to go ahead during the height of the pandemic in the usa, because like the ipl they're Too Big To Fail, don't care about their athletes' safety if you can put a piece of paper with enough zeroes in front of them, and gutted the world's supplies of remdesivir. the nhl is having major pandemic issues and has had multiple teams have to just pause their seasons because of covid outbreaks, the latest, vancouver, very up the junction with it all. VIVO IPL(tm), to say the least, is not an institution i'd say will put player welfare before profit though. leagues here such as the nrl and afl took a very very ubercautious approach to the pandemic, and arguably their hands were forced by state governments. but there are conditions where sports can get played and conditions where they shoudn't and you'd have to put the ipl in the latter category for mine at least tbh

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah this is true, but it doesn't make it not morally oblique to say the least right?

the nfl was able to go ahead during the height of the pandemic in the usa, because like the ipl they're Too Big To Fail, don't care about their athletes' safety if you can put a piece of paper with enough zeroes in front of them, and gutted the world's supplies of remdesivir. the nhl is having major pandemic issues and has had multiple teams have to just pause their seasons because of covid outbreaks, the latest, vancouver, very up the junction with it all. VIVO IPL(tm), to say the least, is not an institution i'd say will put player welfare before profit though. leagues here such as the nrl and afl took a very very ubercautious approach to the pandemic, and arguably their hands were forced by state governments. but there are conditions where sports can get played and conditions where they shoudn't and you'd have to put the ipl in the latter category for mine at least tbh
England played cricket at the peak of the pandemic and Australia went there. I think you guys are misunderstanding this. It is about how strong and secure the bio bubbles are and the SOPs are. As far as these two hold good, the league going on with no spectators should not be an issue. And of course, they may feel more confident having successfully run an IPL just few months ago.

I guess UAE would have made sense but you have to understand the second wave started less than a month ago and they had already set up everything. A lot of discovery is still happening about this wave. I guess they may move it out to UAE at some point or maybe the protocols will hold and they can get it done in India. Most of these stadiums are located in the main city areas and so hotel to ground travel should not take long and still be feasible if they are both biosecure.

TheJediBrah

ok that's great but remember how this discussions started. Players themselves have already tested positive! Whatever precautions, bubbles, no crowds blah blah blah clearly isn't enough to excuse all risk.

to be clear I'm not against the tournament going ahead, if anything I think a lot of restrictions around the world have been excessive and caused more damage than they have prevented (though in many places not enough has been done).