• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What's going on with english cricketer knighthoods?

There were only 10 knighthoods in the entire 20th century and then Sir Ian Botham in 2007, which was equally for his significant charity work as for his cricket exploits.

Now the floodgates have opened with Cook, Boycott and Strauss, while James Anderson was to be knighted this year except they were too worried Aussies would sledge him while he still played lol

Does that mean Sir Stuart Broad is next, or will it be Sir Ben Stokes?
England have a culture of rewarding mediocrity. It's why they haven't had an ATG cricketer in 40+ years now.

TheJediBrah

They should give an MBE to whoever came up with the murray mints plan. Most extensive and successful ball tampering (and cheating in general) regime in the history of cricket and got away with it completely.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Which cricketers from countries no longer awarding knighthoods would have been given the honour? From Australia Dennis Lillee, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting and Alan Border would be contenders. I'm not sure about Shane Warne.

TheJediBrah

Warne would have been knighted by England if he had a bit more British DNA in him, rather than reality where he's left plenty of his DNA in Britain (if stories are to be believed he pulled like crazy)

aussie tragic

International Captain
They should give an MBE to whoever came up with the murray mints plan. Most extensive and successful ball tampering (and cheating in general) regime in the history of cricket and got away with it completely.
They did, they gave OBE's to captain Vaughan and coach Fletcher and MBE's to the other 11 players

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"I was firmly established as the man in charge of looking after the ball when we were fielding," Trescothik was quoted as saying by The Australian in his autobiography.

"It was my job to keep the shine on the new ball for as long as possible with a bit of spit and a lot of polish. And through trial and error I finally settled on type of spit for the task at hand," he added.

During the 2005 Ashes, the English pacers ability to reverse the ball early in the innings led to the downfall of the Australian top order. Jones and Flintoff regularly swung the ball in the first 20 overs, which ultimately played a vital role in England's triumph over Australia.

Trescothick, who retired from international cricket earlier this year, wrote that he experimented with mints until he found the right brand.

"It had been common knowledge in county cricket for some time that certain sweets produced saliva which, when applied to the ball for cleaning purposes, enabled it to keep its shine for longer and therefore its swing. "I had a go at Murray Mints and found they worked a treat," he said.

That's Marcus Trescothick, MBE.

TheJediBrah

Every one of those players should be retroactively removed from the record books and all results with those players involved changed to forfeits

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
If I remember correctly it was Asif Din of Wawrickshire that first used mints for tampering systematically. He preferred some extra strong subcontinental variety, but the typically lily livered English found them unpalatable, so after a fair bit of trial and error it was decided Murray Mints were the weapon of choice

Starfighter

So, in light of Williamson becoming the first person to score 238 in a test match, does anyone know what the lowest score that's never been made is? No one's ever scored 229 but I was wondering if there was lower.

Starfighter

If I remember correctly it was Asif Din of Wawrickshire that first used mints for tampering systematically. He preferred some extra strong subcontinental variety, but the typically lily livered English found them unpalatable, so after a fair bit of trial and error it was decided Murray Mints were the weapon of choice
Speaking of Asif Din, let's see somebody falling over...