• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah if concussion subs werent available players would be far more reluctant to come off and there'd be way more inherent pressure to attempt to carry on because you dont want your team to be down to 10 men. With a sub atleast he'd be persuaded easier to stop playing because someone can take his place. Even if you want to say India gamed the system with the jadeja sub, surely this is a tiny price to pay.
Remember the 2011 India tour of England after the WC when Gambhir could not open due to a concussion and he was called a "coward" by many of the English posters here?

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You're clearly playing 4D chess here and I'm playing checkers so just spell it out for me. Do you mean that it's an assumption that concussions are potentially more deadly than hamstring strains? Or that it's an assumption that people will keep playing with concussions?
The life saving bit is the compulsion to prevent a player resuming. As the ICC guidelines say 'A player diagnosed with concussion must be immediately and permanently removed from further participation in the match or training on that day'. There's no ifs or buts.

There isn't an immediate link to should have a full substitute, as opposed to a sub fielder. Of course, as ***** said, it may encourage people to not lie about their injuries (depending on how subjective the test are). The facts about neurological injuries are well known/avaliable and I'd like to think that people wouldn't take that risk even without the 'disincentive' of not being substituted, but then again any faith I have there is almost certainly misplaced.

cnerd123

likes this
Yeah if concussion subs werent available players would be far more reluctant to come off and there'd be way more inherent pressure to attempt to carry on because you dont want your team to be down to 10 men. With a sub atleast he'd be persuaded easier to stop playing because someone can take his place. Even if you want to say India gamed the system with the jadeja sub, surely this is a tiny price to pay.

Even in cases like say a broken shoulder or something, its still bad that players are lauded for trying to play on but atleast there its not life threatening (I think)
Could you imagine the macho alpha male former cricketers going on and on about a player leaving his team with just 10 men due to a mild headache, when back in his day he would play on with barely functioning knees or a broken jaw wrapped up in bandages

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I mean there’s certainly an argument to allow substitutes for certain types of injuries (broken bones, other visible external injuries) but the basis for that can’t be “oh we do it for concussions”. It has to be that it’s unfair on a side to lose a player who sustains one through no fault of his own.

This opens up grey areas though. I’d rather have SA just cop it and bowl without Steyn when he broke his collarbone instead of having some situation some day where an injury’s been exaggerated to gain an advantage or there’s an unequal substitute etc.

We only cop that greyish area for concussions because it’s necessary.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Tbf it was a different time I suppose hb. Concussions were treated as merely severe headaches until pretty recently by most
Nah, I think some posters (maybe flibbertyjibber but I am not sure) definitely argued that we cannot take concussions lightly even then. And anyone who has followed wrestling would have known about the issues with Concussion and post concussion head trauma after the Chris Benoit tragedy. There was a lot of mainstream stuff about it even then.

cnerd123

likes this
FWIW, I am not arguing the concussion issues are worse than regular injuries here at all. I am just pointing out that from a cricketing PoV, if you already have an independent doctor out there and medical science has improved so much that you can do X rays at the ground and scans can be done within an hour or two of a players' injury etc., then there is room to consider allowing injury substitutes as a whole which would include the concussion subs.
Wasn't it the Indian Team doc who ruled out Jadeja due to concussion? Says that on Cricinfo.

I think injuries are part and parcel of the game, and if a player breaks down during a match he either has to play through the pain, or the team finds a way around him. I think the trade-off between further aggrevating the injury or leaving your team short of players is fine because all physical injuries can heal and recover. But the brain does not, and that's why concussions should be treated differently. Plus, brain damage has far more severe impacts on your quality of life compared to any other injury. I'd rather be in a wheelchair that suffer from long lasting brain damage.

harsh.ag

When it comes to concussioned players being allowed subs, the other side is at least slightly culpable. There are risks to bowling a bouncer and you don't get to escape them willy nilly. Why should only one side suffer the consequences

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wasn't it the Indian Team doc who ruled out Jadeja due to concussion? Says that on Cricinfo.

I think injuries are part and parcel of the game, and if a player breaks down during a match he either has to play through the pain, or the team finds a way around him. I think the trade-off between further aggrevating the injury or leaving your team short of players is fine because all physical injuries can heal and recover. But the brain does not, and that's why concussions should be treated differently. Plus, brain damage has far more severe impacts on your quality of life compared to any other injury. I'd rather be in a wheelchair that suffer from long lasting brain damage.
You’d rather be in a wheelchair than your current condition?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They may not have had netural docs for the same reasons we dont have neutral umpires or match refs though. Covid changed the game a bit. But if and when we are back to a regular non-pandemic world, there will be independent doctors at every international game to rule on concussion subs. Or at least that is how I understand the rule.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You seriously think physical injuries don't take a mental toll?

RossTaylorsBox

When it comes to concussioned players being allowed subs, the other side is at least slightly culpable. There are risks to bowling a bouncer and you don't get to escape them willy nilly. Why should only one side suffer the consequences
One side loses their first-choice player.

cnerd123

likes this
Eh, you'd have the blame the bowling side for bowling any delivery that causes any injury to a batter then, and blame the batting side for hitting the ball hard enough to injure any fielder...becomes a slippery slope.