• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd never considered that you could do a four stump setup like that. Solves the problem of fitting the bails.

How fast are they bowling there? 110 km/h? Loader was supposedly genuinely quick (maybe not by 1963) and the keeper and slips are standing about eight metres from the bat.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Austria Women vs. Mali Women would be a good match IMO

mr_mister

Throwing it away after hitting 50 is such a clubbie thing to do

3 of my 4 career fifties were 50, 55 and 58

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Throwing it away after hitting 50 is such a clubbie thing to do

3 of my 4 career fifties were 50, 55 and 58
I can relate to that.
I was a late bloomer with the bat - 12 years before I hit 50. Brought my maiden half ton with a six the over before drinks. Out the over immediately after drinks.
My next two were quite different. Reached 50 then was out almost straight away while in my only other I was run out for 60 when partner tried to give me the strike - felt like I could make a ton that day.

Chubb

International Regular
Same problem here. I'm 33 and I've made 20 or so scores of 50 or more (bearing in mind I'd play 40+ games a year growing up in the UK). But I've only passed 59 five times - 63, 74, 75*, 91 and 102. Obvs remember those innings very well :)

Also more 40s than I can remember, mainly because I am a very defensive batsman. One of my proudest cricketing achievements is a two-day match double of 41* out of 120 a/o and 48 in the second innings off a combined 250 balls (90-odd first innings, 150 odd second).

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I often wish I'd played in the UK. Over here our we only had 10 or 12 matches - mostly over two Saturdays - then the finals.

I was particularly proud of the 60. I had a back injury and was unable to bowl. I was still selected and, as captain, promoted myself to number 7. I came in at 5 for 86 and was dismissed at 8 for 181 before the side was out for 200. The bowlers did well and dismissed the opposition for 166.

(I'm able to relate 'special' games as I have a small, bound scorebook in which I recorded particular performances)

Chubb

International Regular
I often wish I'd played in the UK. Over here our we only had 10 or 12 matches - mostly over two Saturdays - then the finals.

I was particularly proud of the 60. I had a back injury and was unable to bowl. I was still selected and, as captain, promoted myself to number 7. I came in at 5 for 86 and was dismissed at 8 for 181 before the side was out for 200. The bowlers did well and dismissed the opposition for 166.

(I'm able to relate 'special' games as I have a small, bound scorebook in which I recorded particular performances)
I was fortunate to play say 18 league matches and 18 Sunday friendlies, weather permitting of course, plus I grew up in a place a lot of touring teams would come for midweek games. Back in the day it was theoretically possible to play 7 days a week, if you worked mornings. By the time I was around you could probably play 4 times a week (say Sat, Sun, Tues, Thurs). I suspect there are a lot fewer touring teams now as the last few times I've been back in summer there haven't been as many midweek fixtures.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
I didn't want to clutter up the new ATVG draft thread, but ATVG confuses me. I consider a great player someone that would make the XI for the period they played in (for country or World). So an ATG then obviously makes the XI for the entire history of cricket (country or World).

What is an ATVG player then, someone that makes the 3rd XI after ATG's picked in 1st and 2nd XI's?
Kumble and Dev are probably the perfect ATVG examples actually. Don't think they'd even make ATG 3rd or 4th or 5th XIs (especially depending on which XI Kallis makes, for Dev).
They were clearly very good players, greats for their country and definitely in contention for their own country's AT XI, among the best of their time (but no one would claim they were the very best of their time either - definitely at the bottom rung of that), and thus nowhere close to ATG status.

Jimmy Anderson is maybe another, but that would definitely need a thread or two or five.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I totally agree with @aussie tragic here. To me, there is great, and then there is ATG.

Of course, I dont think ATGs should all necessarily make their country's best XIs either, some teams have played longer and been blessed with far more ATGs than others.

stephen

Kumble and Dev are probably the perfect ATVG examples actually. Don't think they'd even make ATG 3rd or 4th or 5th XIs (especially depending on which XI Kallis makes, for Dev).
They were clearly very good players, greats for their country and definitely in contention for their own country's AT XI, among the best of their time (but no one would claim they were the very best of their time either - definitely at the bottom rung of that), and thus nowhere close to ATG status.

Jimmy Anderson is maybe another, but that would definitely need a thread or two or five.
I basically coined the term to describe Anderson - good enough and accomplished enough to be acknowledged but a rung down from the very best due to some shortcomings.

Going by tier lists an ATVG is tier 2, while ATG is tier 1 or S tier. S tier is really reserved for one or maybe two players in the world at any one time. Smith, McGrath, Gilchrist, Murali, Warne, Tendulkar, Lara, Marshall, Hadlee, Garner, Richards and Lillee are pretty much the only S tier players since the 70s in tests.