• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Pragyan Ojha has 113 wickets and 89 runs in tests. Narendra Hirwani has 66 wickets and 54 runs.

Both have been involved in unforgettable 10th wicket partnerships.

Edit: Didn't realize Starfighter beat me to it w.r.t Ojha.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Bob Carter (Worcs, 1961-72) had an impressive 523 FC wickets to 324 FC runs. He often opened the bowling with the excellently named Brian Brain, who was only slightly less of a rabbit - 824 wickets to 1704 runs

andmark

International Captain
Went to Sefton Cricket Club today. The pavilion had a few interesting things. A tie from the 1890s which the team apparently used to wear whilst playing. Mushtaq Ahmed played there as a village player after retiring. Lastly there was a team picture with someone called Grace who had the look of WG (I just checked and WG actually played a match there). Genuinely could be in that family. Nice place.

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Inspired by some recent discussion, can anyone think of some other significant cricketers who scored fewer first class runs than took wickets? I've got a bit of a list, although I'm not counting things like guys who played barely any FC matches like some who played in the SA vs Eng 'tests' of the 1890s.

B. Chandrasekhar 600 runs to 1063 wickets, including 167 to 242 in tests. Ratio 0.564, 0.690 in tests.
Alf Hall 134 to 234, 0.573
Eric Hollies 1673 to 2323, ratio 0.720
'Hopper' Read 158 to 219, 0.721
Chris Martin 479 to 599 including 123 to 233 in tests. Ratio 0.800, 0.528 (!) in tests.
Bill Bowes, 1531 to 1639, 0.934
Jasprit Bumrah 138 to 144, 0.958
David Larter 639 to 666, 0.959

It does appear that Chris Martin is the king of this statistic in tests but that Chandra exceeds him by a considerable margin at first class level. Bruce Reid scored 93 runs and took 113 wickets in tests, but went 503/350 at first class, Ojha went 89/113 in tests but 847/424 in first class. Infamously bad batsmen who don't qualify included Bert Ironmonger (476/464, much to my surprise) Jeff Jones (513/511) and Chuck Fleetwood-Smith (617/597).
https://stats.acscricket.com/Record...Bowling/More_Wickets_than_Runs_in_Career.html has the complete list (for players with 50+ wickets).

Alf Valentine and Ernie Toshack are a couple more Test cricketers on the list.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Lol. Boycott seems like a pretty awful bloke even if he was a fine opener. Strauss a pretty long way off being a top tier batsman but guess he gets it for captaining an away Ashes win and being an administrator for a World Cup win, as well as maybe the foundation he set up for his wife. Either way kind of hard to believe they'd have got these if they weren't open supporters of the Tories.

aussie tragic

International Captain
This 'Sir Geoff' stuff reminded me that Bill Woodfull was offered a knighthood in 1934 but told them to stick it. A bit too soon after Bodyline I think.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Day/Night Tests are now a fixture in the Australian Season. Is it taking off in other countries yet?

I can see, not all, but many tests eventually being d/n - maybe even half. I wonder how it would affect bowling averages. With current pitches and more d/n tests bowling could have a heyday like batting in the 0's. How much time for d/n tests to be very common in cricket?

Victor Ian

International Coach
That's really dumb for many reasons. Put more spice in the pitches and Australia probably win by even more.
I just took it as he means preparing pitches more suitable to England with respect to the clouds above them. Or perhaps pitches that are easy on his calves.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's no bigger whinger in world cricket than James Anderson. Has skin as thick as tissue paper. When it's going his way he's top of the pops and happy as Larry. As soon as it isn't he gets all surly and can't cop back that which he so happily gives out. **** bloke.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
There's no bigger whinger in world cricket than James Anderson. Has skin as thick as tissue paper. When it's going his way he's top of the pops and happy as Larry. As soon as it isn't he gets all surly and can't cop back that which he so happily gives out. **** bloke.
This. A million times this.