• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Bijed

International Regular
Congratulations Stuart Broad on becoming the leading wicket taker in all test cricket. Thought he, and several others for that matter, had taken more though

stats.png

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How does one access the series pages on cricinfo now that all tests are lumped together under the World Test Championship?

andmark

International Captain
Given the nonsense of Jack Leach supposedly scoring the best 1* ever, let's set the record straight. I once scored 1* in 10 overs for Whitefield U13s with my solitary run being a tennis serve which went past the wicketkeeper. A vastly superior innings to Leach's. Anyone else have claims to fame with that famed score?

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In the 1957 five test WI tour of England, Collie Smith scored 8 scores 25 or lower, with 6 of these being single figure scores. His other 2 innings: 161 and 168

Now that's rocks and diamonds

mr_mister

Also, I just discovered Miandad had 3 test scores between 260-280

Only batsman to score three 250+ scores without making one a triple ton?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
**** he was an exciting prospect when he burst on to the scene averaging 7 with the ball in ODI cricket wasn't he

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
At least Miandad hit 3 250+ scores in his 6 doubles (and one was 280*) - - - unlike Tendulker and Kholi who choked every one of their 6 doubles by never getting above 250 ;)
Have to announce it to you that Bradman was a choker. Never reached 350 even though he crossed 300 twice. Several others (Hayden, Lara, Sobers, Hutton, Jayawardene) crossed it.

Also, no one named Tendulker or Kholi ever played cricket or scored 200s. Several misses in equal no. of attempts.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Inspired by some recent discussion, can anyone think of some other significant cricketers who scored fewer first class runs than took wickets? I've got a bit of a list, although I'm not counting things like guys who played barely any FC matches like some who played in the SA vs Eng 'tests' of the 1890s.

B. Chandrasekhar 600 runs to 1063 wickets, including 167 to 242 in tests. Ratio 0.564, 0.690 in tests.
Alf Hall 134 to 234, 0.573
Eric Hollies 1673 to 2323, ratio 0.720
'Hopper' Read 158 to 219, 0.721
Chris Martin 479 to 599 including 123 to 233 in tests. Ratio 0.800, 0.528 (!) in tests.
Bill Bowes, 1531 to 1639, 0.934
Jasprit Bumrah 138 to 144, 0.958
David Larter 639 to 666, 0.959

It does appear that Chris Martin is the king of this statistic in tests but that Chandra exceeds him by a considerable margin at first class level. Bruce Reid scored 93 runs and took 113 wickets in tests, but went 503/350 at first class, Ojha went 89/113 in tests but 847/424 in first class. Infamously bad batsmen who don't qualify included Bert Ironmonger (476/464, much to my surprise) Jeff Jones (513/511) and Chuck Fleetwood-Smith (617/597).

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
1980s Oz cricketer Simon Davis got more wickets than runs in FC (124 to 98), ODI and domestic OD cricket. I recall Steve Waugh saying once he was the worst batsman he'd ever seen.