• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So I'm not allowed to post about cricket related stuff that doesn't deserve a thread in the 'cricket related stuff that doesn't deserve a thread' thread because a distant juxtaposition of posts (which brings up you merely because you're prominently defensive about the issue on here) makes you fly off the handle? Wow you are precious. I notice you're even strawmanning my point, I was pointing out that the calling of no-balls can and indeed has altered the outcome of a test match, with the called no-balls from SL being 5.5% of the legal deliveries otherwise bowled, much higher than the 0.33% of your make-believe ODI. And I'm sure umpires had plenty of paperwork to do in the nineties yet they still managed to call them then.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Starfighter, you are trying to get Sir Humphrey to say that the civil service being inefficient is a bad thing.

cnerd123

likes this
They don't have to make any decisions on a large percentage of the remaining deliveries (besides calling no-balls which they haven't been doing).
This is actually very wrong, especially when you're umpiring at the highest levels, but a very common misconception people have about what umpires do on the field.

Because you'll probably ask me to elaborate, and because I like revising this stuff:

Let's leave out deciding on wides, no balls (of all sorts) and dismissals. I assume you know the umpire has to do all of this. The rest of the stuff that the umpires (on field and third umpire) are responsible for each ball and each over is:

- Ensuring the fielding regulations aren't being violated. Especially important in LO cricket. This involves following the movements of the players across the field in between deliveries and even as the ball is being delivered.
- Following the movement of batsmen, bowlers and fielders across the playing surface (there are laws and PCs in place for damaging the turf).
- Following the movement of the ball across the field (keep an eye for tampering, ensure the condition of the ball is satisfactory, and watching out for those cases where the ball hasn't gone dead but some players may think it has).
- When the keeper is up and/or fielders are around the bat, you're responsible for ensuring there is no encroaching on to the stumps and playing surface (laws and PCs in place regarding this)
- Keeping an eye out for other violations of fair/unfair play (in practice you're mostly looking for fake fielding and distractions)
- Constantly evaluating if conditions are fit for play (see the sunlight issue in today's NZ vs India game)
- Ensuring the spirit of the game is upheld (basically dealing with players being ****s to each other)
- Keeping track of overrates and general timekeeping (which gets difficult when you have repeated interruptions in play)
- Keeping track of the score (umpires often need to correct scorers, and need to have good communication with them to ensure every signal they make is picked up and noted down. This is mostly done by the reserve/third umpire)
- Keeping track of injuries, substitutes fielders, player going and coming off the field

And this is just the extent that I know of, and i'm just a rookie umpire. I'm sure a professional could come down here and list out another dozen things that I have missed out on this list. Give me a few hours and I'll probably remember a couple more.

There are, of course, lulls in play where things go smoothly and you're kinda on autopilot. Saying they have to work on each and every of the 600 deliveries in an ODI is clearly an exaggeration. But they are making decisions and working during a large percentage of deliveries in a game, contrary to what you think. An umpire has to be the first person in the ground to spot any violation of any of the laws/PCs, and has to be in position to deal with it correctly in a timely manner. We all expect that of an umpire. In order to deliver that, they are hyper vigilant and basically trying to catch something that happens before it happens. We even have subtle little tricks we do once we see a potential problem forming that we aren't allowed to explicitly warn a side about, in order to stop it before it actually happens, so that we don't have to deal with the fallout once it does. And wherever we are allowed to warn players, we do so, and we are very keen about doing so.

And this is just while the game is live btw. We're not even touching the work they do in between session, or before and at the end of play

Sure all jobs are thankless. But no one is sitting around on a forum criticizing Daemon on his accounting ability whilst having next to no knowledge of what accounting entails, and without realising the extent of what Daemon's job is. That's why the ICC are the ones who decide who a good umpire is and who isn't, and it's not left to the court of public opinion. I say thankless, you say scrutiny. I think we agree on the general point here.

And they do make good money, that's true. Well deserved IMO.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That's just a list of things they need to do or look out for. They don't have to make decisions on most of those, unless you're telling me taking no action because there's no rain about is making a decision.

I was disputing your 99% stat.

edit: sorry I see that you have admitted it was an exaggeration, apology accepted. I had skipped that chunk of text initially.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
Hello *****

Can you give few examples of the work the umpires have to do off the field that you have referred to ?

Thanks for your reply about the umpires onfield duties.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
***** still stinking up the joint saying how much umpires have to do despite being shown to be wrong over and over. Get some new material ffs.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
They should just replace the "stars" with cricketers permanently. And perhaps replace the dancing with cricket itself. That way we could have a show called "Cricket with the Cricketers."

Victor Ian

International Coach
This first name thing is a western thing tbh. I am glad there are the likes of Mahmudullah, Sreesanth and Ashwin who defy this convention of surname usage.
There is your personal name, and then your family name. In most cases, Mohammed is the personal name. Even though there is much variance on which name is said first, within each culture, they know which name is family and which name is personal. That is what I mean by first name