• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
The total number of Test wickets taken by all the Australians listed on Cricinfo as slow left-arm orthodox bowlers is 276; less than any one of Herath, Vettori or Underwood.

(However, Bill Johnston, Bert Ironmonger and Jack Saunders are listed as "mixture/unknown", and their SLA wickets might lift the Australia total above those three).

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The total number of Test wickets taken by all the Australians listed on Cricinfo as slow left-arm orthodox bowlers is 276; less than any one of Herath, Vettori or Underwood.

(However, Bill Johnston, Bert Ironmonger and Jack Saunders are listed as "mixture/unknown", and their SLA wickets might lift the Australia total above those three).
Interesting.

Does Michael Clarke has the best figures among these SLAs?

AndrewB

No - Border took 7-46 against West Indies at Sydney in 1989.
Most wickets for an Aussie SLA (again excluding Johnston, Ironmonger and Saunders) is 53 by Ray Bright.

SillyCowCorner1

Damn, he clearly wrecked WI.

7 first innings wickets, followed it up with 4 more in the second innings.

Was the SCG that much of a dust bowl?

TheJediBrah

Damn, he clearly wrecked WI.

7 first innings wickets, followed it up with 4 more in the second innings.

Was the SCG that much of a dust bowl?
They were all caught mid wicket/mid off etc. He didn't really take the wickets the batsman just got themselves out to his bowling

Clarke's 6/9 was a dustbowl

(in b4 "hurr durr that's how spinners take wickets beat them in flight blah blah)

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bill Johnston, Bert Ironmonger and Jack Saunders are listed as "mixture/unknown", and their SLA wickets might lift the Australia total above those three).
I'm pretty sure Ironmonger was more or less ordinary orthodox, at least the small amount of video footage and descriptions say that, and Saunders too. Johnston seems to have taken the lion's share of his wickets with his fast-mediums.

SillyCowCorner1

They were all caught mid wicket/mid off etc. He didn't really take the wickets the batsman just got themselves out to his bowling

Clarke's 6/9 was a dustbowl

(in b4 "hurr durr that's how spinners take wickets beat them in flight blah blah)
Did big bad Merv Hughes rattled them up at the other end?

AndrewB

I remember when Tufnell took 6-25 against WI at the Oval a couple of years later, they batted like they hadn't a clue how to cope (though admittedly that was mostly the tail-enders). In both games Haynes scored plenty at the other end, so the pitches weren't especially bad (and WI seemed to realise this at the Oval, since Tufnell took 1-150 in the second innings). They had a similar disaster against Holland and Bennett at Sydney in 1984-5.

S.Kennedy

My memory for cricket is awful.Two days later and I have forgotten the entire match. Football and you just remember ''2-1'' or ''3-0''. With cricket you have to remember much bigger stats.

Gnske

It should be easier in cricket in though. How the **** am I meant to remember the millions of 1-2s, 2-1s, 3-0s or 7-1s that happen in various championships every week.

I can remember a Johnson 7/40, a Martyn 96, a Rob Quiney 9

Gnske

Aye that one.

Even though I was there at the game, I remember nothing of this innings or night other than I was confused over who the heck James Hopes was.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

We have the weirdest memories sometimes. I remember from that game Ponting leaving a ball and James Hopes who was being interviewed on the sidelines saying "huh Punter's left one" and I thought at the time "interesting that James Hopes called him Punter". Don't remember why I thought it was interesting but I was a kid. But I can't even tell you who won the game (assuming it was Aus).

Spikey

sad that gnske doesn't remember the real memorable thing about that game: Martyn costing Bracken a triple wicket maiden because he dropped a sitter at mid on