• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

andmark

International Captain
The law saying that the umpire should intervene in the event of excessive short-pitched bowling (1947 or earlier) was brought in before the law restricting leg-side fielders behind square (1957).
Ah. Somehow I thought that the leg side fielders rule was done shortly after the immediate aftermath of Bodyline to make it tactically inadequate.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For ODIs:

Run rates of the top 8 ODI teams to 9/11/2015 - between 4.72 and 5.03.

Run rates of the top 8 teams since 9/11/2015 - between 5.00 and 6.17.

I'm the last 3 years the worst performing team has scored runs are the same rate as the best performing team in the previous 35 years of cricket history.

This is a problem and needs to be fixed.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Umpire was justified.

If that is the bowler's regular action, it would be another issue.

But the fact is he does that to distract the batsman before he releases the ball. This is not allowed under the current laws. Similarly, if a batsman moves around in the crease and distracts the bowler before the ball is released, it would be in violation of the same law too.

Of course what is considered distracting and what isn't is subjective and up to the umpires. This bowler has gotten away with this in other games. There have been cases of batsmen making off-putting movements as a bowler runs in that never get called up by the umpire too Consistency of application will always be an issue with vague laws like this.

But the umpire wasn't wrong.
I've seen batsmen make off-putting movements as a bowler runs in many times without there being any kind of reprimand. What about when a batsman feigns charging up the wicket? Or the switch-hit? Or Matthew Hayden's walk towards the incoming bowler?

stephen

5 teams in the last 3 years have scored faster than the fastest scoring team from the decade before that.

cnerd123

likes this
I've seen batsmen make off-putting movements as a bowler runs in many times without there being any kind of reprimand. What about when a batsman feigns charging up the wicket? Or the switch-hit? Or Matthew Hayden's walk towards the incoming bowler?
There is a difference between a batsman setting up for and shot and trying to distract the bowler. You could argue that walking down the wicket, or across the stumps, or even setting up for the switch hit are all part of getting ready to play the ball.

If a batsman did a 360 spin just before the bowler could release the ball, he should definitely be reprimanded

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
There is a difference between a batsman setting up for and shot and trying to distract the bowler. You could argue that walking down the wicket, or across the stumps, or even setting up for the switch hit are all part of getting ready to play the ball.

If a batsman did a 360 spin just before the bowler could release the ball, he should definitely be reprimanded
If a batsman is indeed setting up for a shot then that's fine. But the fake charge down the wicket is nothing but a ploy aimed at distracting the bowler, making them think that they are going to advance, trying to sucker the bowler into bowling short. I probably won't be able to explain it very well, but I'm talking about when a batsman, as the bowler enters their delivery stride, darts their front foot down the wicket & makes it look like they're going to charge the wicket, only to remain in place once the ball leaves the bowler's hand.

stephen

Batsmen make fake trigger movements all the time to try and put the bowler off. I always felt like I was going to get a batsman out if he did that when I bowled.

cnerd123

likes this
Yea for sake of consistency those won't be allowed, and especially if a bowler pulls out of their action and claims he was distracted - therefore forcing the umpire to take action.

As ever though, common sense and umpires interpretation matter. Big difference between a slight trigger movement and a 360 degree spin.