• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

andmark

International Captain
A pet peeve of mine is the over-use of the sweep shot. I understand that if a batsman is especially good at it, they may as well use it. Eoin Morgan for example is great at it, so he should continue with it. But so often, batsmen see a spin bowler coming on and seem to think "oh, I better sweep this guy as if we're in the Dust Bowl" and then get out. It's infuriating. Even I've taken at least one wicket from it, and that was a well-set batsman who looked like a quality player. Gurgh!

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As a spinner I used to love it when a batsman swept. I just slowed the ball down a fraction so it feel just short and they'd sky it without fail.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Number of successful sweeps I've seen played in club matches: 0
I sweep religiously (depending on field setting), even reverse sweep on occasion, and it's a very productive shot. Pretty low risk too as long as you can adjust if the ball is inappropriate.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A pet peeve of mine is the over-use of the sweep shot. I understand that if a batsman is especially good at it, they may as well use it. Eoin Morgan for example is great at it, so he should continue with it. But so often, batsmen see a spin bowler coming on and seem to think "oh, I better sweep this guy as if we're in the Dust Bowl" and then get out. It's infuriating. Even I've taken at least one wicket from it, and that was a well-set batsman who looked like a quality player. Gurgh!
Your avatar is literally Alistair Cook playing a sweep shot.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
every time i read about young NZ batsman Christian Leopard i keep wanting to ask if he's changed his spots

i'm working on my terrible humour ok