• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

cnerd123

likes this
Geez Hasting's condition sounds pretty scary. Doctors still haven't been able to diagnose it

Hope he's able to find treatment and get well soon

Golden Horde

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hope doctors can do something about Hastings situation. Sounds very scary :(

Niall O'Brien has decided to retire from professional and international cricket https://www.cricketeurope.com/DATABASE/ARTICLES2018/articles/000019/001920.shtml

I was a big fan, he didnt really improve much in the last decade, but was a combative guy and probably played the most important innings of his country's cricketing history and not many can claim that! He seems to be involved in some kind of an agency which helps cricketers (many of them associate cricketers), so I'm glad he'll be staying in the sport in some kind of capacity

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I thought O'Brien might follow Joyce. So many of them worked so hard to achieve Test status that it sort of felt like a few of them were hanging on to reap the rewards (and I can't blame them), but it remains an open question whether the next gen of Irish cricketers will be as good as the last gen and a half.

SeamUp

International Coach
Tough period for Irish cricket but hopefully getting their own domestic cricket as strong as possible can help them in the long run.

It does feel weird where that previous batch of cricketers worked so hard for test status and they won't really experience it. Porterfield, K.O'Brien, Wilson , Rankin left from that initial group under Johnston ?

Bahseph

State Captain
Would have been cool to see Joyce and O'Brien have decent test careers. Or see Johnston and my personal Irish favorite Mooney in whites. I'm reasonably sure that they will be fine in seam friendly conditions. How are they going to improve against spin though? Would be a total mismatch to see them anywhere in the subcontinent now. Or even the West Indies for that matter.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Niall and Joyce should have stayed on a few more years. Playing one solitary test match is such a tease

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tough period for Irish cricket but hopefully getting their own domestic cricket as strong as possible can help them in the long run.

It does feel weird where that previous batch of cricketers worked so hard for test status and they won't really experience it. Porterfield, K.O'Brien, Wilson , Rankin left from that initial group under Johnston ?
Yeah just those guys left now, and also Morgan I guess. :p

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Mind boggling numbers though the quality of opposition he's faced is obviously questionable. A fifer in India is still amazing. That is something McGrath never achieved if I'm not wrong (best figures of 4 something and a sub 25 average IIRC).

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Daemon

Chris Gayle just hit 10 sixes in an innings where he made 80. wtf. 20 runs in the remaining 38 balls he faced.

SillyCowCorner1

68 of those 80 runs came off of boundaries...12 balls of the 48 balls he faced

85% of his runs in boundaries in 25% of the balls faced...

12 runs in 36 balls is pisspoor

Bijed

International Regular
12 from 36 does sound low - I know Gayle is pretty poor with his running these days, but I'd imagine pretty much every player's SR looks poor if you exclude deliveries they hit boundaries from. Not sure how easy it is to run stats on this.

Minimising dot balls is important but much less so if you can consistently hit a lot of boundaries and end up with a good SR anyway

SillyCowCorner1

Gayle lost his wicket in the 13th over...they were 151. Yeah, he trusted those guns of his. But still buddy, 12 off 36...1 run every 3 balls.

Nabi played one of his specials down the order