• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

cnerd123

likes this
Vox's 'Explained' series on Netflix -15 minute documentaries on various topics- have just released an episode on Cricket

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Some guy on reddit has filtered out player's batting averages for only games where they face a 'potent' attack - one which has a combined bowling average of less than 28 before the start of the match.

Tests - https://i.redd.it/futect2kr2911.png
ODIs - https://i.redd.it/yyr5vt662c911.png

Some interesting results.
Good to see Cronje so high, always knew the bloke was underrated

also good to see Ranatunga appear in the test list, both these guys must have really failed to cash in against minnows if they performed so well against the top teams

And also good evidence that Ponting could score runs against the top class bowlers and didn't just feast on the soft 2000 attacks like the narrative sometimes goes

Against 90s Wasim/Waqar he averaged 63 from 4 tests with a century
Against 90s Murali/Vaas he averaged 63 from 6 tests with a century and two nineties
Against 90s Donald/Pollock he averaged 50 from 3 tests with a century
Against 90s Ambrose/Walsh he averaged 40 from 4 tests with a century
Against 90s Kumble/Srinath he averaged 51 from 7 tests with two centuries

this was basically all before he turned 25(except for the final India series in 99). Small sample sizes yes but he definitely proved himself against the top bowling attacks of the era

Last edited:

Bolo

State Captain
Good to see Cronje so high, always knew the bloke was underrated

And also good evidence that Ponting could score runs against the top class bowlers and didn't just feast on the soft 2000 attacks like the narrative says

he got hundreds against Donald/Pollock, Ambrose/Walsh, Wasim/Waqar and Murali in his first or second series against them. This was when he was a baby too. Basically he would have succeeded in any era.
Cronje was a really handy bowler as well. Probably would have entered conversation as an ATG ODI allrounder if he hadn't match fixed.

I'd expect to see Ponting in the ODI table as well if it didn't have so many recent players. IDK if it's true statistically, but it felt like he was easily the best of his generation other than Tendulkar vs top attacks.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
England's 2019 schedule,

Pakistan

May

5: T20 international, Cardiff

8: First ODI, Oval

11: Second ODI, Southampton

14: Third ODI, Bristol

17: Fourth ODI, Trent Bridge (day/night)

19: Fifth ODI, Headingley

World Cup: 30 May - 14 July

Ireland

24-27 July, Four-day Test, Lord's

Australia

August

1-5: First Test, Edgbaston

14-18: Second Test, Lord's

22-26: Third Test, Headingley

September

4-8: Fourth Test, Old Trafford

12-16: Fifth Test, The Oval
I suppose it was always going to be a case of ''white-ball saturation'' in a world cup year but I cannot say I'm very impressed, and they haven't even awarded the Irish with the dignity of a fifth day?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to that list, Bradman is obviously clearly ahead but it us a merely extraordinary (not mind-boggling) lead, more so if one acknowledges that the 30s were easier for batting. Interesting. Still the GOAT though.

Gnske

Strange they didn't get authorization for it, or that it took this long for UNESCO to do something/realize what went down.

Think that's horse**** though, its an excellent way to incorporate heritage into modern day life and make it beneficial for the person experiencing it and the place itself. Unless there's evidence that the cricket/stand is somehow impeding on the heritage values of the site or is causing material damage.

a massive zebra

International Captain
According to that list, Bradman is obviously clearly ahead but it us a merely extraordinary (not mind-boggling) lead
Only a small proportion of Bradman's innings are included in this analysis. Most attacks that Bradman faced did not have a combined average of under 28, in no small part because they had to bowl at Bradman himself.

so if one acknowledges that the 30s were easier for batting. Interesting. Still the GOAT though.
Bradman alone raised the overall batting average of his time by about 1.5 runs during his career. If one subtracts his performance from the overall figures, the overall batting average of his era is almost identical to that of Viv Richards time. It's probably true to say there were less quality fast bowlers in Bradman's era than in the 70s, 80s and 90s, but one could also say Bradman's average is significantly reduced by sticky wickets which players of the 70s and onwards did not have to face.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
England's 2019 schedule,

I suppose it was always going to be a case of ''white-ball saturation'' in a world cup year but I cannot say I'm very impressed, and they haven't even awarded the Irish with the dignity of a fifth day?

Is it really that much saturation? Only 6 bilateral matches? Surely if they wanted to they'd have put on another series against Australia post-Ashes.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Is it really that much saturation? Only 6 bilateral matches? Surely if they wanted to they'd have put on another series against Australia post-Ashes.
Six Tests, five ODIs and one T20I -- you're not going to get a better home summer schedule from any side in a World Cup year IMO. That's actually much better than I would've expected.

stephen

Steve Smith's stats ruined in that list by South Africa and the fact that half his in innings against India were filtered out when the attack changed very little between tests.

Still it's an interesting look at some batsmen.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
They'll have us playing the 100 soon enough and there will be even less proper cricket.