• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

cnerd123

likes this
Bangladesh has a huge fanbase. I find it hard to believe that the TV rights to broadcast a BD Tour overseas won't be lucrative. If whoever has bought the rights to a Australia's home tours (or England's even) doesn't have presence in BD, they could always sell the feed to one of the local providers right? They should be able to make good money broadcasting BD playing cricket.

I genuinely think it's more to do with politics (BCB will always vote pro-BCCI, not pro-ECB/CA, so no desire to give them games), competitiveness (likely to be a one sided game, local fans/sponsors won't be interested), and risk of humiliation (losing at home to Bangladesh? The fans won't like that).

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Bangladesh has a huge fanbase. I find it hard to believe that the TV rights to broadcast a BD Tour overseas won't be lucrative. If whoever has bought the rights to a Australia's home tours (or England's even) doesn't have presence in BD, they could always sell the feed to one of the local providers right? They should be able to make good money broadcasting BD playing cricket.

I genuinely think it's more to do with politics (BCB will always vote pro-BCCI, not pro-ECB/CA, so no desire to give them games), competitiveness (likely to be a one sided game, local fans/sponsors won't be interested), and risk of humiliation (losing at home to Bangladesh? The fans won't like that).
Just get better, find the money somewhere while not playing for investment, and let them profit from you more at a later date.

According to JediBrah - CA is a business looking to maximise profit now from international cricket, not take investment hits into its growth. That is - the free-rider problem blatantly agreed to.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not for profit =/= money is irrelevant.

In order to have money to redirect to grass roots and pay salaries they need to make money. Really not that complicated.

This is all assuming that the reasoning is legit of course. They claimed it wouldn't be profitable, and I don't see why they'd lie

Mr Miyagi

Banned
What do you measure profits in if not money? Marbles?

In order to have money to redirect to grass roots and pay salaries they need to make money. Really not that complicated.

This is all assuming that the reasoning is legit of course. They claimed it wouldn't be profitable, and I don't see why they'd lie
Yes, CA looks to maximise profits from international cricket, to invest into Australia cricket growth, not the worlds.

We got you the first time. You're just repeating yourself. I agreed that is exactly what Australia is doing and does.

It is called the free-rider problem. A free rider is someone who cashes in from international cricket, does not want to invest in the current and future growth but will ride the profits from more developed skill or moneyed nations later.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this

Personally I don't think they're lying, I just suspect they aren't really trying to make it profitable either. They would first need Channel 7/Fox Sports to do the work of sorting out a deal to sell access to their broadcasting feed to a distributor like GTV/Star/etc. in order to broadcast that feed to Bangladesh (and potentially other markets where Fox/Channel 7 don't have access). This in of itself might not make a lot of money - given what BD advertisers would be willing to pay in BD Taka might not be a whole lot of money in Australian Dollars.

Then Cricket Australia has to undertake the task of selling this entire tour to their local audience. How do you get the casual Australian fan excited about Bangladesh touring? They see them as easy beast. It's a lose lose. Either they get a one-sided walkover win, or somehow CA has to convince everyone that Australian Cricket has slump to the depths of now being competitive with BD at home. It's not easy.

There is money to be made there, but it would require a lot of effort. It doesn't make sense politically either for CA to go out of their way to make this effort for the BCB. Whereas when weak Indian teams would tour Australia, the greater amount money to be made + the political goodwill gained ended up making all this effort justified.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Then what was your point?
My point is for you to determine. Read back if you have to. See if you can infer it if it isn't sufficiently implied.

Doesn't matter, still wouldn't have been profitable apparently. It's not rocket science, CA are a business and want to make money.

If the Bangladesh series was really going to be profitable then they would have done it. Same as NZ and reducing Tests in general for the home season.
Will playing Bangladesh bankrupt you? - ESPNcricinfo

The spurned
Spare a thought for Bangladesh. While Australia are moaning that the BCCI merely declined to play a day-night Test, Bangladesh's entire tour of Australia this year has been cancelled. It is a strange trend. In 2015, Australia declined to tour Bangladesh based on security concerns. In 2017, they almost missed the tour because of a player-contracts dispute. Now, a board that signed an A$1.2 billion broadcast deal only weeks before claims Bangladesh's tour is commercially untenable. What next?
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jam...-grassroots-growth-revenue-sharing/2017-05-27
It should also be stressed that CA is a not for profit organisation, where every dollar we generate needs to be ploughed back in to supporting and growing the game."
James Sutherland, CA

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Personally I don't think they're lying, I just suspect they aren't really trying to make it profitable either. They would first need Channel 7/Fox Sports to do the work of sorting out a deal to sell access to their broadcasting feed to a distributor like GTV/Star/etc. in order to broadcast that feed to Bangladesh (and potentially other markets where Fox/Channel 7 don't have access). This in of itself might not make a lot of money - given what BD advertisers would be willing to pay in BD Taka might not be a whole lot of money in Australian Dollars.

Then Cricket Australia has to undertake the task of selling this entire tour to their local audience. How do you get the casual Australian fan excited about Bangladesh touring? They see them as easy beast. It's a lose lose. Either they get a one-sided walkover win, or somehow CA has to convince everyone that Australian Cricket has slump to the depths of now being competitive with BD at home. It's not easy.

There is money to be made there, but it would require a lot of effort. It doesn't make sense politically either for CA to go out of their way to make this effort for the BCB. Whereas when weak Indian teams would tour Australia, this great amount of money to be made + the political good will would make all this effort justified.
Now you're just being mean to JediBrah.

cnerd123

likes this
Then what was your point?

Tends to happen when you respond with quotes with no context and don't have a clear point. Of course I'm going to repeat myself.
His basic point is that every cricket board merely attempts to make a profit off International cricket to feed Domestic cricket.

No one is willing to cop a loss at International level, even if it potentially means spreading the game around the world.

Everyone just wants a bigger slice of the pie, no one is interested in growing the pie itself.

This is why Associate funding comes and goes, and why smaller nations don't get a lot of tours. CA has plenty of money, they can afford to play some International cricket that costs them money and still make a net profit overall at the end of the year. There would be good reason form them to do this too - growing the game around the world - growing the pie. But they choose not to. They rather maximise profit. A smaller profit with more cricket to smaller nations doesn't appeal to them.

This is the mentality that needs to change in world cricket. The self-serving attitude of every cricket board.

TheJediBrah

My point is for you to determine. Read back if you have to. See if you can infer it if it isn't sufficiently implied.

Will playing Bangladesh bankrupt you? - ESPNcricinfo

https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jam...-grassroots-growth-revenue-sharing/2017-05-27

James Sutherland, CA
Yeah, I didn't think you actually had a point. Just you being you.

There is money to be made there, but it would require a lot of effort. It doesn't make sense politically either for CA to go out of their way to make this effort for the BCB. Whereas when weak Indian teams would tour Australia, the greater amount money to be made + the political goodwill gained ended up making all this effort justified.
Spot on

Mr Miyagi

Banned
His basic point is that every cricket board merely attempts to make a profit off International cricket to feed Domestic cricket.

No one is willing to cop a loss at International level, even if it potentially means spreading the game around the world.

Everyone just wants a bigger slice of the pie, no one is interested in growing the pie itself.

This is why Associate funding comes and goes, and why smaller nations don't get a lot of tours. CA has plenty of money, they can afford to play some International cricket that costs them money and still make a net profit overall at the end of the year. There would be good reason form them to do this too - growing the game around the world - growing the pie. But they choose not to.

This is the mentality that needs to change in world cricket. The self-serving attitude of every cricket board.
I wouldn't say every cricket board. NZ has stupidly agreed to tour Australia over Boxing Day. That is too much of a sacrifice for me, I wish NZ was more like SA in that regard and just refused to ever do it again.

TheJediBrah

This is why Associate funding comes and goes, and why smaller nations don't get a lot of tours. CA has plenty of money, they can afford to play some International cricket that costs them money and still make a net profit overall at the end of the year. There would be good reason form them to do this too - growing the game around the world - growing the pie. But they choose not to. They rather maximise profit. A smaller profit with more cricket to smaller nations doesn't appeal to them.

Yeah no arguments here, it's nothing new and we've been over this many, many times on here, (mostly thanks to you) and I don't think anyone disagrees. Someone has to take the first step, but why would they if no one else does?

Keep fighting the good fight though

TheJediBrah

:laugh:

I see what you did there *****, you changed CA to every board and he gets it suddenly :P
Lol yeah that's why I get it. Not because he actually stated his point rather than post barely relevant quotes that have little to do with the point. Get a grip.

cnerd123

likes this
It's really tiring when one person tries to act smart and not clearly lay out his point but instead keeps beating around the bush, and when the person he is talking to deliberately acts dumb and puts in no effort to try and understand the point being made and just straight bats all of it.

You're just wasting your time, the two of you.