• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that seems the same to what I said if its about player skill levels.

Aus want the best to tour Aus. They don't like to host weak teams. And reciprocal tours are a negotiation tactic. Aus wants reciprocity with SA - not Bangladesh. CA said as much.
'Cept I seem to remember that we're not scheduled to host SA for some ridiculous amount of time under whatever agreements are being made. It's pretty much just India and England.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
'Cept I seem to remember that we're not scheduled to host SA for some ridiculous amount of time under whatever agreements are being made. It's pretty much just India and England.
I doubt you go 4 years without SA back and forth, just like England and India.

Edit: Its 5 to host them next as SA refuse to tour Boxing Day. Except you're there agsin in 2021 from 2018. When were Bangas last in Aus?

Last edited:

Starfighter

So 3 tours already- possibly a 4th in 2022?

Seems to be a tad more reciprocity going on with SA.
This is old ground that has been covered in many a prior thread. ***** has been going on about it for years, commiserate with him. I was hoping for the scheduled midyear series too, but I don't think any of us thought it would happen.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
This is old ground that has been covered in many a prior thread. ***** has been going on about it for years, commiserate with him. I was hoping for the scheduled midyear series too, but I don't think any of us thought it would happen.
Okay - but why? Why does SA get reciprocity not afforded by CA to Bangladesh?

Starfighter

Okay - but why? Why does SA get reciprocity not afforded by CA to Bangladesh?
Sliding scale of money and contest. Bangladesh has little audience here, and will get belted. England and India have large audiences, the biggest factor (do remember factors can differ in significance), and SA offers a good contest but is not so large an audience. Plus SA/Aus is much more traditional than anyone/Bang.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Sliding scale of money and contest. Bangladesh has little audience here, and will get belted. England and India have large audiences, the biggest factor (do remember factors can differ in significance), and SA offers a good contest but is not so large an audience. Plus SA/Aus is much more traditional than anyone/Bang.
All seems reasonable to me. I chose SA deliberately as a non Big 3 money country tour because I am aware of a further factor :P In the ol days it was WI touring Aus.:laugh:

So the contest matters even outside Big 3 money generating audiences due to player skill levels in Aus?

So where Aus used to be more brazen about contest, they in a post ICC world are less brazen due to ICC votes and politics?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
SA are a good draw card here. No one, apart from a few strange diehards on here, is clamouring for a Bangladesh tour here.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
SA are a good draw card here. No one, apart from a few strange diehards on here, is clamouring for a Bangladesh tour here.
And this is why the minnows and emerging nations suffer a free-rider problem. Boards like CA not wanting to take the hit on them now, for them to get better sooner (or at least earn some money to invest in building new talent better than before). If they get much better on the field later (or simply much richer), they are welcome, but will later be dropped if they drop off again. Money is always welcome, though.

Is the growth of the game globally all about maximising profits and crowds in 3 countries now, or is this just a touch short sighted?

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
And this is why the minnows and emerging nations suffer a free-rider problem. Boards like CA not wanting to take the hit on them now, for them to get better sooner (or at least earn some money to invest in building new talent better than before). If they get much better on the field later (or simply much richer), they are welcome, but will later be dropped if they drop off again. Money is always welcome, though.

Is the growth of the game globally all about maximising profits and crowds in 3 countries now, or is this just a touch short sighted?
Can't really blame CA for not inviting Bangladesh over for a boxing day test though

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Are you sure you've followed cricket in recent times?
No, tiddly winks mostly.

Is this going to be a test championship discussion that will force certain boards to give more reciprocal tours to more of the top 9 nations and continue to exclude those outside the top 9?

Because that is a current solution to a problem faced previously that has brought us to where we are and does not kick off till the Ashes 2019.

Would Australia have kept the Bangladesh series under the test championship model, according to Sutherland yes it would have. So it is great for numbers 7 8 and 9, doesn't particularly help anyone outside the top 9 (which is set for what - 2 year cycles?) Have Ireland, AFG and Zim be barred from just the first or the first 2 editions?

Anyway, back to tiddly winks for me.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nopes. Or the New Year test neither. But they were scheduled for much earlier than that, July.
Doesn't matter, still wouldn't have been profitable apparently. It's not rocket science, CA are a business and want to make money.

If the Bangladesh series was really going to be profitable then they would have done it. Same as NZ and reducing Tests in general for the home season.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Doesn't matter, still wouldn't have been profitable apparently. It's not rocket science, CA are a business and want to make money.

If the Bangladesh series was really going to be profitable then they would have done it. Same as NZ and reducing Tests in general for the home season.
Will playing Bangladesh bankrupt you? - ESPNcricinfo

The spurned
Spare a thought for Bangladesh. While Australia are moaning that the BCCI merely declined to play a day-night Test, Bangladesh's entire tour of Australia this year has been cancelled. It is a strange trend. In 2015, Australia declined to tour Bangladesh based on security concerns. In 2017, they almost missed the tour because of a player-contracts dispute. Now, a board that signed an A$1.2 billion broadcast deal only weeks before claims Bangladesh's tour is commercially untenable. What next?
https://www.cricket.com.au/news/jam...-grassroots-growth-revenue-sharing/2017-05-27
It should also be stressed that CA is a not for profit organisation, where every dollar we generate needs to be ploughed back in to supporting and growing the game."
James Sutherland, CA

Last edited: