• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Razzaq's comeback makes me feel like making a Ben Kenobi meme. It's feels like it's been ages since he popped anywhere significant, to say the least. I see he played some Afghanistan domestic T20 last year.

Borges

International Regular
Either ICC nations collectively call the BCCI bluff or give up taunting them altogether. Kohli may have had a say and Dhoni before him, but the real issue for conformity is the weight of global opinion and outcomes. And right now, CA by itself vs BCCI don't mean jack.
The bargaining power that CA had with the BCCI was rooted in NOCs to Australian players for the IPL; Vinod Rai openly said as much when he was asked why the DRS cheating fiasco was quickly hushed up by both the boards. After this edition of the IPL, it would appear that they have lost that last chip too, with a whole bunch of palookas coming and stinking up the place. They are not a draw any more; no one really wants to see them play.

The only realistic attempt to bell the cat would involve collective action in unison by all the other cricket playing countries. For that to happen, CA and ECB have to first admit that some animals are not more equal than others.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
The bargaining power that CA had with the BCCI was rooted in NOCs to Australian players for the IPL; Vinod Rai openly said as much when he was asked why the DRS cheating fiasco was quickly hushed up by both the boards. After this edition of the IPL, it would appear that they have lost that last chip too, with a whole bunch of palookas coming and stinking up the place. They are not a draw any more; no one really wants to see them play.

The only realistic attempt to bell the cat would involve collective action in unison by all the other cricket playing countries. For that to happen, CA and ECB have to first admit that some animals are not more equal than others.
I appreciate as a Big 3 member why you'd try to include the EWCB in the discussion, but the reality is, EWCB saw themselves of custodians of cricket and looked after Ind, Pak, NZ, SA (bar appartheidt ban), SL, Zimbabwe and Bangladesh while CA comparatively walked all over them and saw themselves as the first among equals for the last 100 years. Hey - I freely admit besides the WI late 1970's and 1980's - Australia has typically been the best or there about in cricket.

I don't want to upset you personally, but that is how I see it, and the tours and the big grounds with matches played will ultimately support my view. NZ has regularly played tests at Lords. Banagladesh played there in 2010. MCG on Boxing Day - well not so much. NZ was last there in 1987, Bangladesh never. Zimbabwe probably never too. Let alone Aus dare tours SA, NZ or Zimbabwe over Christmas. Or reciprocates tours to weak nations, let alone playing more than 2 tests and some odi's and when and where. But you've had SA tour. And you've had NZ tour. But CA plays at home over this period.

But that is just my opinion. And that of many cricket writers. But thats by the by.

I agree the only hope the cricket world has is to use collective strength vs BCCI or hope China takes up cricket to prevent a BCCI hegemony, but China is not playing cricket and BCCI still threatened to boycott the latest Champions Trophy against a unanimous vote regards fund distribution; but failing that, CA did help set the scene for unequal test nations. There is no denying this fact. And for many of us, fans of cricket outside the Big 3, we are chuckling at Australian cricket fans complaining about BCCI, for doing to CA the same thing that CA did to our boards for years, that is - dictate terms.

You're probably a very good guy. And you clearly like your cricket. But CA fans need to appreciate that inequality in the cricket world existed well before millions of Indians subscribed to Star Cricket. And CA was not the EWCB type custodian of cricket. Just look at CA's history of playing NZ before the 1970's in tests. England let NZ tour, and England reciprocated tours.

I understand your frustration, I understand your pain, but now, BCCI is helping CA fans understand what the rest of us outside of England (and WI till recently), have been put through by CA.

NZ last had BCCI play tests here in 2014. Next year BCCI tour and no tests. That's how it is for NZ fans, regardless of being top 4 in all 3 formats. But CA taught us to accept disappointments like this a long time ago. Now BCCI is teaching CA fans to temper their expectations.

So I find CA fans complaining that BCCI won't play a day night test at Adelaide rather bemusing. BCCI will do whatever they feel like doing, which should not be an all to foreign concept to those familiar with the history of CA.

But like I say, that's just my view. I'm not even happy that NZC will tour Australia over Boxing Day again, even SA now refuses too. Given the choice between CA and BCCI, I'd prefer if stark alternatives, NZC curry favour with BCCI (pun not intended). But personally - I really hope that cricket world can whip both into line.

But the BCCI didn't start this stuff. Nor did the EWCB.

Do I wish BCCI would rise above it and turn the other cheek? As a global cricket fan, sure I do, but I understand why they wouldn't until CA even attempts to lead the way. If CA wants to flex its muscle over the nations outside the Big 3, don't ask me for sympathy when BCCI flexes its muscle as the Big 1 over CA. What goes around comes back around. And the days of CA being the biggest baddest boss in Cricket are over. There's a new sheriff in town. But it is a bit rich for CA to and their fans to ask and expect everyone else to join its posse against BCCI just when it suits CA for them too. CA has to start earning some global credit first. And right now, as far as I am personally concerned, CA is next to bankrupt on credit and should count themselves lucky that they will get the rupees of a BCCI test tour, because NZC isn't even able to manage that since BCCI last toured CA land.

Last edited:

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Australia cancel hosting Bangladesh later this year - ESPNcricinfo

The ICC's Future Tours Program (FTP) had Australia down to play two Tests and three ODIs at home against Bangladesh in August and September 2018, the latter's first bilateral tour down under since 2003. However, the trip was scrapped because Australian free-to-air broadcasters are understood to be uninterested in televising the series in the middle of the football season. Cricket Australia communicated to the BCB that the tour was not "commercially viable" .Such a decision, which mirrors the BCCI's refusal to play a day-night Test in contravention of CA's wishes, sums up the ad hoc manner in which bilateral tours have been organised and cancelled at various points in recent history, invariably at the expense of the less financially strong countries.
Sorry, my doesn't heart bleed for the BCCI injustice of not playing a day night test in Aussie this year.

There is hope of CA meeting their responsibilities in future though:

However, Sutherland said that such arrangements will no longer apply when the Test Championship whirs into life in the second half of 2019. From that point, Australia and all other nations will be compelled to host the teams they are drawn against.

"If we get drawn to play [Bangladesh], and we're drawn to play it at home, once you're in a championship situation, the context puts you in a position of wanting to win every game and needing the points and not compromising. So you need to play at home and to try to win because those points count for something that at the end of the day might really matter to finishing one or two and qualifying for the final."
So again I repeat, CA fans, my heart is a little hard to your complaints about BCCI walking all over your cricket board. I'd rather they go totally walkabout over your Board myself. But that's just me.

Until CA starts even attempting to treat non-Big 3 nations fairly and equally, I have no sympathy for the BCCI walking all over CA. What goes around comes around, and in CA's case - not often enough. And for CA fans feeling hard done by BCCI - just look at the reality of how your Board treats non-Big 3 nations (and Safrica). Your CEO just admitted it. .
"The way in which everything works in cricket is that it's really at the home team's discretion to work things out as to how much they want to host and what they want to host," Sutherland had told ESPNcricinfo earlier this year. "There's obviously an element of reciprocity between what we do, we do that with England, India South Africa.

"We commit to content in other parts of the world under the previous or current cycle, every six years you are at least committed to playing away, but we don't have to play at home or we can vary the programme at home according to our needs and I think we just got squeezed a little bit.
Personally I hope the BCCI tour runs at a loss for CA. Maybe that will wake them up to the Cricket World. But the rupees of Star India make this very unlikely.

Try reciprocating with all full ICC members CA. And tour SA and Zimbabwe and NZ over Christmas already.

The sheer arrogance of the CA CEO to admit CA treats the Big 3 members and in form SA differently to the inferior rest, and then to have CA fans compain about BCCI treating CA as inferior and complaining about it, just bemuses me.

Either full member test nations are equal - or they're not. And if they're not, the BCCI is the first among non-equals.

So which do you want CA? Equality or inequality? 'Cos CA is no longer the big boss.That is the reality.

CA fans - please stop complaining about BCCI walking all over your cricket board - your board has done that to the non Big 3 nations, including Safrica, and India before Star Sports cricket, for a very very long time. And to be honest - as a global cricket fan of a non Big 3 nation nor Safrica, I'm just sick of it.

Personally I'd like to see that either CA has a culture change, or suffer in silence re BCCI. Because cricket fans in NZ, SA, SL, Pak, Ban, Zim, WI (now), now Afg and Ire, and India before pay TV there, have had to put up with so much inequality from CA it isn't amusing. But that's just me.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The difference between Lords and the MCG is that Lords holds about 34 people and would sell out if England hosted China in a test.

We tend to reserve the Sydney/Melbourne tests for sides who can compete and put bums on seats. NZ still get 2/3 tests in Aus every 4 years.

That's not too say that our current board aren't all deserving of the boot.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangers unsurprisingly mashed. Piss poor.

Still, CA knows its audience. They realise the public will be sick to death of SC sides as it is with SL and India here, ducking into waist high half trackers and generally stinking the joint up. They should have dumped SL from the schedule and had the Bangers here instead.

Burgey

I would have enjoyed this series. Obviously not as much as our batsmen and bowlers, but it would have been fun. Pretty pissed off they've canned it tbh. CA has an innate ability to completely **** up everything it touches.

TheJediBrah

Yeah would have been nice for the boys to have a little stats boost but with India and Sri Lanka touring in the summer we're already at risk of having a team full of Voges-like careers kicking off and no one wants that

cnerd123

likes this
Cricket will not regain it's integrity until we take it out of the hands of businessmen and put it back in the hands of those who love the sport.

Daemon

Wrong. It needs to go into the hands of good businessmen who have the capacity to think long term and are committed to the vision of the organisations they are part of.

TheJediBrah

Wrong. It needs to go into the hands of good businessmen who have the capacity to think long term and are committed to the vision of the organisations they are part of.
"long term" = until said businessman will be finished with the organisation and no longer personally require profitability for success

Daemon

What's the alternative? Hand over a multi billion dollar sport to dudes who have no experience running large organisations but lots of passion for the game?

Not sure why there's this sentiment that all suit wearing dudes are evil money grubbers and all we need is the average joe to step in and sort things out.

It just so happens that we've got idiots running the sport who are terrible at their job and are morally bankrupt. Plenty of them are also inexperienced. Fix taht.

Mr Miyagi

Banned
Cricket Australia cancels Bangladesh tour, accused of disrespect

This is already getting messier.

It follows unconfirmed rumours Bangladesh’s tour of Australia was informally agreed to by the two nations as part of a negotiation which saw Bangladesh vote in favour of the ICC reforms which put the so-called “Big Three” of international cricket — India, England and Australia — in control of the game’s finances and administration during a vote in 2014.

Last edited: