• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw an Instagram post by either the ICC or Cricinfo today saying Anderson has now bowled more deliveries in test matches than any other seam bowler, passing Courtney Walsh. Massive credit to the bloke's longevity and durability. To be able to bowl that many balls without shoulders and with a Pirate's Delight is a big achievement.

Victor Ian

International Coach
I'm interested in this Clarke thing. Not so much for Clarke, but to appreciate others who've done the comeback thing. Who had the best comeback in cricket. Leave aside the World War comebacks because that involved all of them. The only cricketer I know of to have made a comeback after a long layoff is Bob Simpson.

Daemon

I admire Cowdrey for willing to make a comeback at 42 to help England out against Lillee and Thommo

Burgey

I think Cowdrey was still playing regular County cricket the season before his recall? I don't think Simmo was still going around fro NSW when he came back.

Borges

International Regular
ESPNcricinfo: their timing is all off.
If only they had dug up this match-fixing-gate when tamper-gate was all the rage - ah, but life is full of missed opportunities.
Imagine the hullabaloo that could have been raised when Cronje masks confronted whatever masks the Saffers were wearing!

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do bang on about over rates a bit here, and I thought I'd give a basic analysis of an old match to show just how dramatic the changes have been.

1929 Adelaide test, a dramatic win for England (by 12 runs) was very slow in run rate by even the standard of the time but is not mentioned as being exceptionally dull in any descriptions. The innings run rates were 1.82, 2.31, 1.90 and 2.21 (no prizes for guessing which team was slower) and Wally Hammond scored his 119* and 177 with s/rs of 31.83 and 29.35 respectively. This would be considered monumentally boring today, yet match reports have nothing to say on this. The match ended a little after lunch on the seventh day (the rest day meant it started and ended on a Friday), with 694 overs being bowled in 30.48 hours across six and a bit five-hour days, there evidently being some weather delay somewhere. That's 22.8 overs an hour, and 46.65 runs/hour. Given a modern six and a half hour day, the maximum permissible without over-rate penalties and commonly seen in Australia, that translates to a score in a day of 303, which is perfectly acceptable in the modern era.

It's when you translate it to modern over rates that the differences become apparent. The modern over rate for matches in Australia is around 13.85, teams tending to take nearly the maximum permissible time to bowl their ninety. It would take seven days and a bit over two sessions - longer than the original - to complete the match today despite days being up to one and a half hours longer, and only 184 runs would be scored a day. If the match had been completed with its original timing but modern over rates it would have taken ten entire days to complete.

There was only one genuine pace bowler (Larwood, whose fourteen pace run would be diminutive by eighties standards) and both teams relied on a spinner (Grimmett for Australia and White - who bowled 124 overs - for England) to bowl a huge number of overs. When the Bodyline series came around with three pace bowlers (although none had long runs) the balls per hour dropped from 136 to around 100, still well above today's 83. I think this shows how completely the modern game has changed. Nowadays with three bowlers running 15-20 paces, DRS, Trottesque crease marking routines, unnecessary drinks breaks and seemingly four field adjustments per over there is so much less cricket in a day. Yet the difference in scoring rates means that the perceived excitement in the matches hasn't changed all that much.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
1929 Adelaide test, a dramatic win for England (by 12 runs) was very slow in run rate by even the standard of the time but is not mentioned as being exceptionally dull in any descriptions. The innings run rates were 1.82, 2.31, 1.90 and 2.21 (no prizes for guessing which team was slower) and Wally Hammond scored his 119* and 177 with s/rs of 31.83 and 29.35 respectively.
Surprisingly, England scored significantly faster than Australia in the series as a whole, while Australia bowled their overs faster (they were up to about 26 overs/hr in the first innings at Adelaide), according to Charles Davis's figures.

stephen

I do bang on about over rates a bit here, and I thought I'd give a basic analysis of an old match to show just how dramatic the changes have been.

1929 Adelaide test, a dramatic win for England (by 12 runs) was very slow in run rate by even the standard of the time but is not mentioned as being exceptionally dull in any descriptions. The innings run rates were 1.82, 2.31, 1.90 and 2.21 (no prizes for guessing which team was slower) and Wally Hammond scored his 119* and 177 with s/rs of 31.83 and 29.35 respectively. This would be considered monumentally boring today, yet match reports have nothing to say on this. The match ended a little after lunch on the seventh day (the rest day meant it started and ended on a Friday), with 694 overs being bowled in 30.48 hours across six and a bit five-hour days, there evidently being some weather delay somewhere. That's 22.8 overs an hour, and 46.65 runs/hour. Given a modern six and a half hour day, the maximum permissible without over-rate penalties and commonly seen in Australia, that translates to a score in a day of 303, which is perfectly acceptable in the modern era.

It's when you translate it to modern over rates that the differences become apparent. The modern over rate for matches in Australia is around 13.85, teams tending to take nearly the maximum permissible time to bowl their ninety. It would take seven days and a bit over two sessions - longer than the original - to complete the match today despite days being up to one and a half hours longer, and only 184 runs would be scored a day. If the match had been completed with its original timing but modern over rates it would have taken ten entire days to complete.

There was only one genuine pace bowler (Larwood, whose fourteen pace run would be diminutive by eighties standards) and both teams relied on a spinner (Grimmett for Australia and White - who bowled 124 overs - for England) to bowl a huge number of overs. When the Bodyline series came around with three pace bowlers (although none had long runs) the balls per hour dropped from 136 to around 100, still well above today's 83. I think this shows how completely the modern game has changed. Nowadays with three bowlers running 15-20 paces, DRS, Trottesque crease marking routines, unnecessary drinks breaks and seemingly four field adjustments per over there is so much less cricket in a day. Yet the difference in scoring rates means that the perceived excitement in the matches hasn't changed all that much.
fascinating

harsh.ag

Tbh those short run ups look exceedingly elegant on tape sometimes. But I'm pretty sure they won't work as well today. Even though we don't like to talk about it, at some point we will have to cede that cricket went through an upgrade in the 70s and 80s wrt both fast bowling and batting. In terms of average skills. Outliers from previous eras may have been as good.

Borges

International Regular
This must be the most pathetic 'cricketers of the year' list that I've ever seen.
Even taking into account the fact that I've had the misfortune to see some of these Widen lists in the past.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
This must be the most pathetic 'cricketers of the year' list that I've ever seen.
Even taking into account the fact that I've had the misfortune to see some of these Widen lists in the past.
How come? Three world cup winners and Porter took 70 odd wickets last season. I think Hope averaged in the 70s also.