• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Victor Ian

International Coach
What if it's the last innings of your career, you're 99* and need to remain notout to finish with an average of 50. You're given the choice of a) 99* and a 50+ average with 49 hundreds or b) 100 and out, 49.99 average, 50 hundreds
This sounds impossible, so you are on drugs and it doesn't matter because when you come down, you'll realise you don't even play cricket.

If 1 run is worth .01 to your average (the minimum amount), then you have batted for 100 completed innings. If you had batted for less innings, then your average is enough above 50 if you have 50 centuries to not fall below. If you batted for more innings, then....I don't know. my head exploded. Can anyone make this work?

cnerd123

likes this
4899 runs in 99 completed innings at the start of this knock. Average 49.48

99* takes you to 4998 runs in 99 completed innings, average of 50.48

100 and out takes you to 4999 runs in 100 completed innings, average of 49.99

The 50 hundred and 49 hundreds thing doesn't fit here unfortunately. If you had 49 hundreds at the start of this innings, then you have atleast 4900 runs in 49 innings Add 50 ducks to it and it still doesn't work out that 99* gives you an average above 50 and 100 out gives you an average below it.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The question that really should have been asked was simply: "would you prefer 50 100s and average just below 50, or 49 hundreds and average of 50".

Making up that weird scenario to explain how you get there that doesn't make any sense was just pointless really. Unless as Burgey said, there are bookies involved, it would never be a choice

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Makes sense. If you can achieve what the 20 over total would be before the 20 overs what should it matter if you face another ball or not?

cnerd123

likes this
Yea it's actually a fair interpretation of the laws. Hopefully it's something the ICC and Elite Panel umpires are looking into.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Some relatively basic simple stuff that most of us know... but some interesting stats and info in between. 1st video.

Midwinter

State Captain
What do test players do during the lunch break ?

Do they actually have lunch ?

A rub down ?

Play cards ?

Or some loosening or stretching exercises ?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
What do test players do during the lunch break ?

Do they actually have lunch ?

A rub down ?

Play cards ?

Or some loosening or stretching exercises ?
Eat. Both teams head to the same room and grab a feed, they might head back and get a rub down etc. after that.

Afternoon tea can often just be provided straight to the players rooms rather than in the lunch room.

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
It is a proper three course meal; the meal at Lord's is particularly special - lamb chops etc. The two teams traditionally eat the meal together also. Now you know why so many 'fat' cricketers (e.g., Beefy, Warne, Fred) lose loads of weight when they retire!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Parra 4-0 in Green shield with another bonus point win today vs St George: 7/230 plays 103 all out.

Onto Campbelltown tomorrow.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I dont know what it is but there is something about watching test matches in south africa that for me make it my most enjoyable cricket to watch on television.
Maybe west indies with the packed crowds of the 80s early 90s would have topped it but i was too young to remember that!