• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Flem274*

123/5
That has no logic.

If you really must have Shakib higher then shuffle Anderson and Watling down one. No need to have a maximum amount of people who can bat, especially since Shakib provides the advantage of being both a test class batsman and world class spinner, allowing you to have either five bowlers or bat really deep.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I honestly think that Bangladesh are the most improved team in Test cricket this season. Would be worried about them next time we tour there.

Well done on the draw.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah you guys would be fine. Your bowlers are quicker and more destructive, so Bangers would have a hard time instead

Last edited:

Challis

U19 12th Man
Mahmudullah is so gun. gotta be selected. I love that guy.
Mahmudullah dropped. WTF.
Dropping Mahmudullah would've been a terrible move. He's so gun.
I think he's one of Bangladesh's best batsmen, which is also what I might be saying about Shane Watson had he never become an opener and cemented his role batting at 6.

What Bangladesh need to realise is that both Shakib and Mahmudullah are clearly in their top 7 batsmen and are good enough bowlers to be part of a 5 man attack. There's simply no need for either Nasir Hossain or Abdur Razzak in this team.
This is indeed the biggest positive for Bangladesh, a solid middle order batsman. I still think they need someone like Mahmudullah at 3 and a decent opener.
There seems to be a lot of love for Mahmadullah on here but people need to get a reality-check. His batting average for the last three and a half years is 20; that's from twelve out of the total of seventeen Tests that he's played in.
Since Nasir Hossain made his debut in Tests, Mahmadullah has an average of 19 compared to Nasir's average of 45, so I really can't understand why anyone would say Mahmadullah is more deserving of a place in the team over Nasir.

Even his bowling is well over-rated. His career average is 45 which isn't bad for a part-timer but when you take out the games against the "West Indies C team" back in 2009, his bowling average jumps to 67. So I don't think it's a great argument to include his bowling as an asset.

Look, I don't hate the guy, I just don't think he has the mental toughness needed in Tests. As someone mentioned he has a reluctance to move up the order; surely it's counter-productive to have a full batsman in the number 8 spot. Compare him to Naeem Islam, the guy scored a Ton in his last game but can't get in the team. I bet that Naeem would've accepted any batting spot in the team if given the same choice.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I've always been a big fan of Mahmudullah but hendrix seriously under-rates Nasir's batting and Naeem, while less talented, is far more unlucky to not be in the side than Mahmudullah at the moment.

As I said earlier, I really do wonder what sort of role Mahmudullah thinks he should be playing in the side. He seems a really, really odd character in general. Does he see himself as an allrounder who should be bowling a lot more than he does, or does he just genuinely think a number eight batsman is a perfectly legitimate role? He had a whinge about batting five and when offered the number three spot he straight up declined and said he'd rather not play.

I'd definitely pick him if I was picking the side because I think he'd improve it, but he's not unlucky to be out of it. I'd probably actually give him his strange number eight batsman+fifth bowler role because Shakib allows it but he's an odd ball.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Well Zimbabwe did convincingly beat Bangladesh in a test match earlier this year.
In Zimbabwe's home conditions. I also recall that Zimbabwe beat Pakistan in a Test recently, so I don't think it was a huge upset that BD lost in Zimbabwe.
I'd be willing to bet that BD would convincingly beat Zimbabwe in Bangladesh, actually I think Zimbabwe are due to tour Bangladesh next year, so we will find out.

Challis

U19 12th Man
He supports Australia.
Ah, heart says we can draw the Tests, but head says only if severely affected by rain. We don't have the bowlers to take 20 wickets.

I'd definitely pick him if I was picking the side because I think he'd improve it, but he's not unlucky to be out of it. I'd probably actually give him his strange number eight batsman+fifth bowler role because Shakib allows it but he's an odd ball.
I have to disagree with this, I could only see this as a possibility if BD were playing at home against Zimbabwe, even then I think it's pushing it as I don't think Zimbabwe are that bad against spin.
The thing that is stopping BD from progressing and winning Test matches is their inability to take 20 wickets. As the old adage goes it's wickets that win matches.
On a pitch like this one in Mirpur (which even though seems flat is actually a results pitch; only twice has there been drawn games; both times affected by rain and against New Zealand), to beat a Top 8 side, BD need 5 good bowling options and then some part-timers added in. Mahmudullah as a fifth bowling option won't cut it. BD currently have Shakib, Gazi, and Robiul (when fully fit), so they need another pacer and another spinner.
Spin wise Razzak is a liability in Tests, I'd take Enamul Haque Jr, Elias Sunny or someone from the vast amount of spinners in the domestic scene over him. The replacement doesn't have to be a huge wicket taker, just someone who can chip in with a few wickets and keep the pressure on by not giving a boundary ball every over.
Pace wise it's much more difficult and akin to finding a needle in a haystack. Bangladeshi fast bowlers generally don't have the physical and mental attributes needed. Rubel is useless, Shahadat is even worse, Mashrafe knees will never last to play a Test, Shafiul isn't fit to play Tests, Taskin Ahmed, the new great hope is another one that has a long term injury along with Abul Hassan and Nazmul Hossain (who seems to be ignored by the selectors when fit and ignored by the medical department when injured).
If Nazmul was fit, he would be my choice to partner Robiul. Even though his pace is pedestrian, he can get movement from the new ball and doesn't leak runs. In his absence I would go with Al Amin. I only saw him bowling in the highlights package during the rain, he wasn't very threatening but he wasn't uber bad like Rubel, Shahadat etc. As this was his debut he could turn out decent if he works hard in training like Robiul Islam did.
Robiul was pretty awful when he made his debut in England but during the last BPL, after not getting picked by any team, he went and worked hard on his bowling with the National coaches for weeks, day in day out and it paid dividends on the Zimbabwe tour. The other bowlers need to take a leaf out of his book.
So if BD can get a bowling attack like this, and add the part time bowling of Nasir and Mominul then they may be able to take 20 wickets and win a Test.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
thank god for another Bangladeshi poster to catch us up on our nonsense.

Still heart Mahmudullah though...

Challis

U19 12th Man
He's still more than useful in the ODI team, batting average of 50 and bowling average of 30 in the last couple of years, so you can still enjoy watching him in ODIs (that is till Mosaddek Hossain Saikat takes his place :ph34r: ).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand Cricket - McCullum and Taylor to return early to prepare for home Tests

McCullum and Taylor will have the opportunity to prepare for the Tests with Plunket Shield and New Zealand XI matches prior to the first Test on 3 December in Dunedin.

Edgar says the return of Taylor and McCullum, as well as fast bowler Tim Southee who is recovering from ankle surgery, also allows for the development of players that will add to New Zealand’s depth in ODIs and Twenty20s.

“It’s important we provide game time to a wider playing group in One Dayers and Twenty20s, and establish a bigger bench of playing experience with the upcoming Twenty20 World Cup in Bangladesh next year and Cricket World Cup 2015 beyond that.”

Wellington Firebirds wicketkeeper/batsman Luke Ronchi and Otago Volts bowler Ian Butler will join the BLACKCAPS squad in Sri Lanka, while Kane Williamson will captain the team in McCullum’s absence.

BLACKCAPS ODI and Twenty20 squad for Sri Lanka tour:

Kane Williamson - Northern Knights (captain)
Corey Anderson - Northern Knights
Ian Butler - Otago Volts
Anton Devcich - Northern Knights
Grant Elliott - Wellington Firebirds
Tom Latham - Canterbury Wizards
Mitchell McClenaghan - Auckland Aces
Nathan McCullum - Otago Volts
Kyle Mills - Auckland Aces
Adam Milne - Central Stags
Colin Munro - Auckland Aces
James Neesham - Otago Volts
Luke Ronchi - Wellington Firebirds
Hamish Rutherford - Otago Volts

Meridio

International Regular
Yeah, just saw that article. Seems a weird decision. I don't disagree with the concept of resting players from ODIs to prepare for tests, but it's odd given that a) we've just had a 3 month break; and b) McCullum's the captain.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm all for it. Every test series is crucial for us but ODIs outside the world cup are just preparation for it. Unless the bowlers have a dream run we're going to lose the ODI series with that batting, and because New Zealand is the only country where every ODI is still taken seriously they will cop a roasting when they do, but I'd rather Taylor and McCullum score big against the West Indies and India than win ODIs against Bangladesh, and the Plunket Shield will be more helpful than ODIs in achieving it.

Flem274*

123/5
So basically the best side we can put out is...

Rutherford
Latham
Williamson
Elliott
Anderson
Ronchi
Neesham
NcCullum
Mills
Milne
Mitch

Sooo much icing...

Pretty evident this is just a trial for the opener and allrounder spot.

Last edited:

BeeGee

International Captain
I'm all for it. Every test series is crucial for us but ODIs outside the world cup are just preparation for it. Unless the bowlers have a dream run we're going to lose the ODI series with that batting, and because New Zealand is the only country where every ODI is still taken seriously they will cop a roasting when they do, but I'd rather Taylor and McCullum score big against the West Indies and India than win ODIs against Bangladesh, and the Plunket Shield will be more helpful than ODIs in achieving it.
They are only being rested from the tour to Sri Lanka, not the ODIs in Bangladesh.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah notcied that just then lol cbf correcting

No one in New Zealand will care about that series because losing to SL in a random ODI series away from home isn't news.