• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
People who think test cricket is dying need to get a load of this. The 9th ranked team have a full house to watch them.
x2.

It's a shame that they've had poor results over the years but having said that, their test performances have improved over the last 3 or so years.

Flem274*

123/5
Watling is discussing anger with Tamim?

I didn't think the happiest test cricketer I've ever seen knew what anger was. Watling is like a golden retriever chasing a stick when he's on the field.

"I like wicketkeeping. Keeping is the best!"
"I like batting. Batting is the best!"
"5/60? I have to rescue the innings somehow? My new favourite thing! This is the best!"

Flem274*

123/5
Now they're discussing how the forward defense is an aggressive shot and whether Monimul can hit it in front of square.

God I hope Watling screams in Rahim's ear every second ball for no particular reason, the ****.

Last edited:

Aritro

International Regular
What do you fellows think of Mominul? I've been travelling for the last 12 months and have managed to watch bugger all cricket during this time. Does he look like he's got the class and technical ability to be a test standard batsman? I realise he's made all his runs on roads so it's probably hard to tell.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
What do you fellows think of Mominul? I've been travelling for the last 12 months and have managed to watch bugger all cricket during this time. Does he look like he's got the class and technical ability to be a test standard batsman? I realise he's made all his runs on roads so it's probably hard to tell.
I really like what I see.
He has the ability to put away the bad ball without any fuss. Not only does he not miss out, he also doesn't seem to get out to the half volley by flashing too hard.
He also has those lovely, wristy Laxman hands - can easily work the ball through midwicket with great timing.

Flem274*

123/5
Can't help but feel the lack of a test standard spinner is really letting us down, and Doug is sending the odd good short ball down but he can't capitalise because he sprays it when he tries to pitch it up.

Wagner's 7 and counting for the match is really denying my calls for Milne. I still can't help but feel this attack would be better with him in the side, but with Southee returning for Bracewell no one else deserves to be dropped unless we go with four quicks.

Mike5181

International Captain
Can't help but feel the lack of a test standard spinner is really letting us down, and Doug is sending the odd good short ball down but he can't capitalise because he sprays it when he tries to pitch it up.

Wagner's 7 and counting for the match is really denying my calls for Milne. I still can't help but feel this attack would be better with him in the side, but with Southee returning for Bracewell no one else deserves to be dropped unless we go with four quicks.
Our opening bowlers only taking one wicket between them in the entire match is hurting us much more than what Sodhi/Williamson have offered in this game tbh.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another hundred. Averaging in the 80s now! Really well played.

But this is not looking promising for us. :(

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I really like what I see.
He has the ability to put away the bad ball without any fuss. Not only does he not miss out, he also doesn't seem to get out to the half volley by flashing too hard.
He also has those lovely, wristy Laxman hands - can easily work the ball through midwicket with great timing.
Do you think he's a candidate for being **** outside the SC? He was a little mediocre on that 'A' tour to England a couple of months ago but did ok against Zim.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Do you think he's a candidate for being **** outside the SC? He was a little mediocre on that 'A' tour to England a couple of months ago but did ok against Zim.
I'll put it this way; if he bats the way he's batted in this series on pitches with more bounce or sideways movement for the quicks then he will not do very well. He plays away from his body and drives very much on the up off good length deliveries. That said, that doesn't necessarily mean he will bat the same way; it's quite possible that he's summed up the conditions and adjusted his shot selection accordingly. It's definitely a shot selection issue more than it is a technique issue from what I've seen, anyway.

There's also the fact that if you offered Bangladesh a batsman who could average 50 at home but only 20 in South Africa, England and Australia, they'd chew your arm off to get to him. They only tour those countries once in a blue moon and they're highly unlikely to competitive there in the medium term anyway; their short-term focus is to start winning some home series as a stepping stone and a subcontinent run gorger would be a big asset.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I would like to say that I can recognise who'll be **** outside the SC, but beyond very obvious ones (Raina, Jadeja etc) it's not a judgement I'm prepared to make without actually seeing them outside of the subcontinent.

A big part of the battle is mental, and it looks like he has enough confidence in his game that he could do well. And by "confidence" I don't mean false confidence or bravado, I mean the confidence to overcome and work on parts of your game without letting it erode self belief, and to understand that shelving some of your trademark shots when the conditions don't suit isn't "not playing your natural game" or whatever anyone else might advise him.

Last edited:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh I get excited about any young batsman who can settle in and score hundreds these days, at least that's one big plus going for him at the moment.