• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Meridio

International Regular
Gawd, just seen McCullum's dismissal. What a plonker. As said above, there is absolutely no need to hit that in the air. Best case scenario, he gets a whole 2 more runs than if he'd pulled it along the ground to the boundary. Really worth it?

Anyway, can't watch much of this test, the timing is awful. Starting a test on a Monday is a terrible idea.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
nah, it was a long hop and his eyes lit up. Yeah he should've hit it along the ground but he was trying to put away a **** ball.

I find this dismissal much less concerning than the ones in the first test.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I haven’t seen much of this match at all, just snippets and then day 2 highlights.

Good to see Sodhi bowling well. Hopefully he will now be well on his way to gaining some confidence at this level. You could tell by the lack of conviction in some of his appeals (including successful LBWs in this test and last) that he perhaps didn’t have the self confidence that he felt he actually belonged there. In fact, judging by the petulance and disbelief that Plunket Shield players regularly display on the vault, I’d suggest his single year of FC cricket has yet to instil in him a good appeal and disappointed pose. I’d like to recommend Todd Astle’s star-jumps appeal, its brilliant. As for a role model for petulance, well basically any Punket Shielder will do for that.

As an Astle fanboy, I definitely concede that he would have struggled on the low slow Chittagong wicket, and Sodhi’s height and quickness through the air is better suited to slow turners. Astle might have been OK on this Dhaka wicket though.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I haven’t seen much of this match at all, just snippets and then day 2 highlights.

Good to see Sodhi bowling well.
+1. My girlfriend has been sick and has had control of the remote control, so I have only seen snippets so far. But the balls that Sodhi bowled to get Hossain and Razzak were absolute crackers. I can't think of the last time I can remember a New Zealand spinner getting wickets with such overt skill. There have been a fair number of wickets taken with the more subtle spin-bowling skills like variation in pace and gentle drift - but I am struggling to think of times in recent years where we have seen wickets taken by a guy giving it a real rip. It is really encouraging and exciting*.

* Slight cautionary note: the last guy I can remember getting wickets with genuine turn was Jeets - so encouragement and excitement does not yet equal guaranteed future brilliance.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
As an Astle fanboy, I definitely concede that he would have struggled on the low slow Chittagong wicket, and Sodhi’s height and quickness through the air is better suited to slow turners. Astle might have been OK on this Dhaka wicket though.
Yeah Astle would've be obliterated if he played in the first Test.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Making a player who's the sixth-best batsman, and the worst bowler, and not able to keep any longer, and who hasn't scored a ton in years, captain is not a terribly bright idea. And thanks to Hesson its going to be a problem in the next six months.
That's far too simplistic of a view in regards to the appointment of a captain. Why is it going to be an issue in the next six months? England couldn't speak highly enough of his captaincy skills, and neither can a lot of his team-mates.

Let's face it, he's undroppable for a number of reasons being he's Brendon, there's no one better etc. So don't worry about the sixth-best batsman, worst bowler (!!!!) etc. Is he the best man to lead the side? I believe so. Does he need to lift in terms of setting a standard with the bat? Unquestionably. But I don't see figures that suggest he was any stronger or weaker with the (c). Ross might've provided better numbers, notably in Sri Lanka, but the general acceptance was he was a much less proactive captain, exuded a less than adequate body language and reaction to his bowlers, and wasn't the sort of leader a nation scrapping away near the bottom required.

BeeGee

International Captain
This partnership needs to be 150+. No reason they can't do it, they both look reasonably comfortable.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Today would be a good day for Taylor to pad out that average, show us that he's still got it after the captaincy debacle and score his 9th century in his 50th test.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The big fish. Hmmm.

This is one of my favourite articles on Taylor:

Ross Taylor shrugs off his issues in swaggering knock | Cricket News | England v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

Taylor is an interesting batsman. You feel had he not made it to Test level, he could play every ball on the legside and die a happy man. But despite his obvious talent (he has the 8th best average of any Kiwi Test batsman), he has worked very hard to make himself into a destructive force on the international stage. Yet, he's not. Not consistently. Not like he could be.

Coupling talent with dedication should be a surefire hit. But Taylor struggles away from home. He isn't as consistent as she should be. He can be ineffectual for long periods.

Then you see him today. Jimmy Anderson was crushing New Zealand, two quick wickets had spooked the team that had fought like champs to keep England's total low.

Taylor walked in to a situation that looked dire from the outside. Taylor hit almost as many fours as England did on the entire first day. Taylor scored his fifty at better than a run a ball. Taylor batted like this despite the ball moving around enough to make his team-mates and the opposition find the underside of a leaf to stick themselves to.

A Taylor innings on full flow is a sight to see. It's like KP, but humble. Bowlers are just there to deliver to him. He owns the crease. He hits the ball in a special way that most people can't do, the way that almost instantly makes the bowler less sure of himself. And he just keeps batting faster and hitting harder until it doesn't matter where the fielders are. Like he owns the ground and everyone in it. It doesn't happen often, but when he does it, it's clear that he's not just a batsman. He's something special.

You could see it building at Lord's. The flash through point. The slog sweep. The fifty when everyone else saw a 30 as Everest.

Then, with greatness and an often-replayed highlights package within his grasp, he got a ball that kept a bit low. Not a shooter, but just a ball that hadn't reached the heights it should have. Instead of one of those innings that Taylor plays that makes zealots out of heretics, it was just a cameo.

In the full story of Taylor's career, it felt about right, with everything that has gone with him recently, it felt way short. Taylor is 29, and the next four years should be his best. At the least his average should jump over 45, and he should be demanding that he ends up as one of the greatest New Zealand players of all time.

Today was just a taster, all he really did is show us that he was not a Zombie ant, but he can do much more than that.

BeeGee

International Captain
Cricinfo showing their incompetence:

Shakib Al Hasan to Anderson, no run, turned past the short leg fielder for a single.